PDA

View Full Version : Could I just stop taking it after 4 weeks?

jane2011
15-04-15, 14:51
I have been on mirtazapine for 4 weeks is 15mg. If I want to stop taking it can I just stop as it's only been a few weeks or would I need to do it gradually. I am on it ad I had a bought of insomnia which made me anxious and a bit bonkers. I am dieting hard this week and if on weigh in day I have lost weight I am happy to stay on it but if not I am afraid vanity will out way sanity I'm afraid.

hanshan
20-04-15, 05:57
Hi Jane,

After 4 weeks on 15 mg per day, you shouldn't have too much trouble stopping. You can break the tablet into two to halve the dose for a week or so.

As for hard dieting, it's likely that you will lose weight in the first week, but it doesn't have much relation to mirtazapine. If you go under your energy requirements, reserves of glycogen are burnt up. Glycogen is bound to water molecules, so you actually lose extra water in the process (the famous water loss).

This can create a largish weight loss, but it's just temporary energy reserves plus water - it will go back on very quickly. Long-term weight loss and weight maintenance requires a diet you can live comfortably with indefinitely - it's possible to achieve that and take mirtazapine at the same time.

MyNameIsTerry
20-04-15, 07:08
There is useful information about withdrawing here:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/healthadvice/treatmentswellbeing/antidepressants/comingoffantidepressants.aspx

They state in one part:

DURING
Reduce slowly
Research suggests:
if treatment has lasted less than 8 weeks, stopping over 1-2 weeks should be OK
after 6-8 months treatment, taper off over 6-8 weeks
if you have been on maintenance treatment, taper more gradually: e.g. reduce the dose by not more than ¼ every 4-6 weeks.
Stay in touch with your doctor
Be prepared to stop the reduction or increase your dose again if needed
Keep a diary of your symptoms and drug doses.

jane2011
20-04-15, 17:21
Thank you for advice. Dieting going well. Have stopped feeling hungry high protein low carb working well have not noticed weight loss to be any different from usual. I have always yo yo on diet front I find it quite easy to loose weight and don't mind putting it on again. I don't worry about health really low blood pressure low cholesterol etc generally fit as a fiddle.

wooodyp
20-04-15, 20:23
Hi all

I have been on 30 mg mirtazapine for over 2 years. I have parkinsons and went on it because I could not sleep (common problem of parkinsons). I had been smoking cannabis to help me sleep which worked great. I had a very good sleep and woke up clear headed. This was cannabis from a compassion club. The city where I live, in their wisdom shut the compassion club down. So there went my supply. Went to the doctor and in his wisdom he decided I needed mirtazapine. So i took it. After all, are we not suppose to do what our doctors tell us? It worked ok but I never did feel good in the morning. Now I want off. It is not working for me anymore. I only sleep app. 1 hr. at a time then I wake up, and it takes me 30-45 minutes to fall asleep. I feel terrible in the morning. So I decided to try cannabis again, as I have found another compassion club. I never have any bad symptoms to any medications I ever take, so I hope I will not have any withdrawal symptoms but am going to taper it off, not go cold turkey. I am a firm believer in cannabis for medical use. I really believe that the cannabis plant is a miracle plant. The way the government has acted in regards to this plant is terrible. Yet booze and tobacco are legal. Go figure!

Crystalhiggs
27-04-15, 09:42
I have been on mirtazapine for 4 weeks is 15mg. If I want to stop taking it can I just stop as it's only been a few weeks or would I need to do it gradually. I am on it ad I had a bought of insomnia which made me anxious and a bit bonkers. I am dieting hard this week and if on weigh in day I have lost weight I am happy to stay on it but if not I am afraid vanity will out way sanity I'm afraid.

Hi jane, I was wondering how you were getting on. How are you sleeping now? Did the mirtazapine work it's magic in the end? I'm still on trazodone and barely sleeping so wondering if I should switch to mirt - any advice? Xx

MyNameIsTerry
27-04-15, 09:53
Hi jane, I was wondering how you were getting on. How are you sleeping now? Did the mirtazapine work it's magic in the end? I'm still on trazodone and barely sleeping so wondering if I should switch to mirt - any advice? Xx

Hi Crystal,

On your other thread I mentioned some of the Preg people might know, well Hanshan above was one of the people I was thinking of.

Crystalhiggs
27-04-15, 10:41
Great thanks terry.

jane2011
28-04-15, 17:18
Hi crystal
yes mirt worked well in the end. Made my fingers swell and joints hurt. So had a chat with doc and she suggested two weeks on 7.5 and two weeks on 7.5 every other day and stop. I will see how I go and I would go back on them again like a shot if I feel my mental health insomnia is playing up. How are you doing did you speak to your Gp about mirt in the end. Hope you are ok x

Crystalhiggs
28-04-15, 18:19
Great thats amazing they you feel to much better in such a short time! (Apart from the fingers and joints!) and how are you sleeping on it? I'm in a tricky situation as if I want to come off trazodone it will take a couple of weeks and I don't know how I'm going to feel as its definitely made me less anxious now. Then it's starting again with a new med and all the side effects etc so it feels like it will be weeks before I feel better... Oh I don't know what to do really! Anyway really pleased for you xx

jane2011
29-04-15, 09:37
Hi crystal

Yes it is a tricky decision I completely understand not wanting to have side effects coming of one medication and starting another. It's like your recovery is on hold and you are just treading water. I am sleeping great at the moment. I was only put on them for insomnia and when sleeping tablets didn't work I became very anxious. I have had a similar thing before about 6 years ago. Tbh these things come out of the blue and I can be fine for months or years.all started as a teenager. But when it comes it's pretty short snd sharp a couple of months. It's like my mind says enough I need a break. Hopefully it will have sorted the problem if not I am happy to take mirtazapine again If I needed to. it did feel like a curtain of insanity was lifted off me and made me feel very calm and able to see and think with clarity. Basically gave my mind a spring clean. Hope you get your med sorted and ate feeling better soon take care x

hanshan
29-04-15, 11:38
Hi Jane,

It sounds like you are a mirtazapine success story. Good luck med-free, and you know it's always there if you need it.

jane2011
29-04-15, 14:39
Thanks hanshan yes fingers crossed. It's the only anti depressant that has ever worked for me. I have never managed to take any others for more than a few days. So yes it's great to know something is out there to help you through a difficult time. thank you for all your advice and kind words over the last few weeks much appreciated.

Crystalhiggs
14-06-15, 10:48
Hi Jane I was wondering how you were getting on? Did you come off the mirt? How ha your sleep? X

jane2011
07-07-15, 00:01
Hello Crystal

How are you doing? I am doing great thank you, I have come of the mirt. I did two weeks at 7.5 and two at 3.75 and didnt have any withdrawal symptoms at all. I am sleeping well, not as deeply as on mirt but am sleeping 5 hour stretches which is fine. I really hope you are doing ok too, Thank you for asking x

Crystalhiggs
10-07-15, 13:39
Lucky you, sounds like a quick and easy withdrawal!

I'm ok generally thanks though having a blip today with anxiety. Coming down off Trazodone not quite as easy unfortunately although it has seemed easier this just couple of weeks. Had to drop by 5mg a week from 50 so long drawn out process... Still another few weeks and I'll be free of it! Then I'll know what's really me again!

Glad you're sleeping well, that was a pretty tough time back there wasnt it?!!!

anxious1980
23-09-15, 16:06
Hi Jane

Just after a little bit of guidance really. I too have been given Mirt for insomnia due to anxiety issues surrounding sleep which came on quite suddenly due to an inner ear problem. I have been taken them for 12 nights however they are not really helping with sleep at all and I feel that I would rather stop now then face a tougher withdrawal down the line. Do you think I could just stop them - my GP seems to think so?? Did you have any withdrawals from them after your short time on them?

Many thanks