PDA

View Full Version : Getting there?

Dylansmum
21-01-07, 15:19
Hi everyone

I have been trying really hard just lately to overcome my panic and social anxiety and I have been pushing myself to talk to people and make friends and get out and about more.

I used to get very nervous about being away from home and wouldn't be able to eat in an unusual environment. I am now at the point where, last weekend I went away for the whole weekend and stayed in a hotel and ate normal meals and went shopping etc. and had a really great weekend and didn't really feel panicky at all. The only thing is, I went with my friend who I really trust and I kept worrying about that fact that I wouldn't feel comfortable going away with anyone else.

I also went on a training course with work and I had to leave my house, pick a colleage up and then drive for an hour and a half to the place where the course was being held. I felt slightly panicky about this but no too bad but I kept thinking, if this wasn't a set course that has been planned for us and I just had to spend the day with my work mate I wouldn't be able to do it as I would be thinking where will we go, what will we eat, what will he think of my choices etc.

Does this make any sense to anyone?? I hope so. What I really want to know is, if I keep doing these things and going out and away from home more with people I trust, and keep talking to people and widening my social circle, will I eventually be able to do things with a wider range of people?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sarah x

net
21-01-07, 21:44
thats took me back to how i was last year

could only go away with one particular friend and didnt talk to many others.
gradually i started to widen my circle a bit and now i've worked in a charity shop on the til mixing with new people and talking to strangers as i served them.
been on a short break with another friend, her husband and mother who dont understand me as well as my other friend but we had a great time laughed for four days.
gone for a meal in a group i dont normally spend much time with.

the change only started in july last year it took a few months but it does help as long as you dont rush it and do it very slowly.

you've achieved so much already

netty

the dreams of the future are better than the history of the past

honeybee3939
21-01-07, 22:22
Hi Sarah

You are doing just great ! lots of great progress, so be proud of what you have achieved !

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">if I keep doing these things and going out and away from home more with people I trust, and keep talking to people and widening my social circle, will I eventually be able to do things with a wider range of people?</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Im sure the answer is yes hun, you keep working as well as you have been doing and you will get there!

Well Done

Love

Andrea
xxxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

Robin
01-02-07, 15:00
Dylansmum

I wouldn't worry too much. My whole life can be one big panic but what you're doing is a positive step. And you're over-coming things by your own will.

Well done

Robin