PDA

View Full Version : GAD or abit of OCD aswell

nicnac1987
15-04-15, 17:27
I've had anxiety problems all my life on and off but it got worse when I was heavily pregnant, I started to panic about getting PND and wanting to harm myself or my baby as a result of having it. I then had a bad birth where I got flashbacks and panic attacks for a few months after, they died down but the anxiety stayed with me and the fear of PND stayed and then turned to a fear of severe depression and psychosis. This got worse a few months ago where my closest friend became suicidal! Since then I cannot calm down and I recently got engaged to the man I have been with for 6years and we have a son together. A week or so after that I starting d to panic about if I was attracted to my fiancé and have now got a fear that I mihlght leave him as I get anxious around him in case I don't find him attractive! Does this all sound like just GAD to you? I'm worried that its some sort of ocd aswell and I'm not getting the correct treatment for it. I love my fiancé lots and I know that attraction isn't the main thing in a relationship and I don't want to be without him but I keep obsessing on these thoughts! I've just started a n medication and feel worse on it a week in and have a group CBT course lined up to help. I would like to here about if anyone has been in a similar situation or can relate to my thought? And recovery. Thanks

MyNameIsTerry
17-04-15, 06:08
GAD can manifest itself in so many ways and it can make obsessions bubble up. I find my GAD fuels my various forms of OCD and by reducing it, they reduced too and some completely disappeared.

Fear of illness does fit into OCD as does your relationship concerns, so it is possible.

Its worth mentioning to your therapist if you are undergoing that so they can investigate it and help to make any adjustments to your treatment.

Don't worry about it being the possibility of another disorder, it justs means changing the plan of action. Learning about OCD will help you with this because at first its all so strange that you feel like you are losing control of your mind and body. Understanding it makes it a bit easier and helps you to address it.

nicnac1987
17-04-15, 12:22
Thanks. I'm seeing my GP on Monday so will mention it then. I just want to get the correct treatment.

nicnac1987
20-04-15, 16:34
Just realised I find that I have to confess or ask for reassurance a lot. Is that a part of OCD? I'm not seeing a therapist for another 3 weeks.

MyNameIsTerry
21-04-15, 05:00
Yes, confessing it a compulsion/ritual.

Reassurance can be found in several anxiety disorders but it is recognised as a compulsion/ritual in OCD as well.

I would suggest reading Steve Seay's articles as these explain a lot more than the charities often do.