PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety / Panic - How many times a day!

wendy
21-01-07, 17:23
Hi

Recently I am finding that if I am not suffering with anxiety then I am thinking aboout it 24/7 and it is driving me mad, whatever I do my anxiety is with me, am interested how often everyone else suffers or thinks about anxiety each day?? and do you have any tips to break my thoughts about it? the more I try to divert my thoughts the more I think about it then the more I suffer, First thing i think about in the morning, last think I think about at night!

I think every day I will die and have at least 5 panic attacks per day, follwed by waves of aniexty in between, Its getting too much, I feel so worn down, I cant take much more of this xxx

Hexia
21-01-07, 17:34
I used to feel like that at one time. The problem is that when you try not to think about your anxiety, you are fighting it and getting even more anxious and tense.

What I did was tell myself that the panic attack might choose to come on no matter what I did, but I would survive them as I always had. Then I just went about my day. This worked and the attack gradually died down and I am now panic-attack free.

This is way harder than it sounds, I know, but you can start to practice it. You may not accept it or believe it in the beginning, but keep telling yourself the same thing, and in the end you will come to believe it.

It's a struggle, it really is, but I believe there is no other way. The panic will only subside once you accept it.
Please take care.

"You can't yell loud enough to make me shut up."

deno1617
21-01-07, 17:35
Wendy,
I understand totally how you are feeling sweetheart. I was exactly the same as you - the anxiety was ruling (and ruining) my life - from the moment I awoke to the second I fell asleep and also during the night I was experiencing panic attacks and overwhelming anxiety. I feared for my life and was afraid of everything. I haven't been able to go out - I couldn't even go to the supermarket for groceries. This was until last Monday when I had really had enough and asked the doctor if I could go on beta blockers for the anxiety. After a discussion she agreed that as I had tried other methods - eg mental health worker sessions, relaxation, anti-depressants etc that I could go on Propanolol - just 10mg 3 x a day.
WOW! Within a few hours that awful ball of tension and fear had gone!
Simple as that! I now have been taking them for 6 days and I feel fantastic! I have even been to the supermarket twice!!! I wish I had plucked up the courage to ask for them sooner. I feel like I am back to normal (although on medication) for the first time in over a year. This last week has felt like I have been on holiday! I am relaxed and calm now.
I realize that beta blockers may not be suitable for everyone but it may be worth asking your doctor if you could just try them (even for a short time).
Thinking of you,
Diane
x

seeker
21-01-07, 22:18
I know this may not be helpful,but I found getting a full time job I was really interested in totally helped with the panic attacks and anxiety. In fact, it pretty much stopped them for several years. I am finding now I have time off work with depression, the anxiety is coming back as I have more time to think myself up my own bum, bascially and fret about things!! Try to occupy yourself with something else like jigsaws, walking, tv, whatever interests you.

sleonetti
22-01-07, 05:59
What I do is imagine that I am exhaling the panic out when I am about to have an attack. That helps so much. Breathing deeply and counting help me. If you're in public when you are feeling very anxious, find a place to just breathe.

I do anything I can to not think about the anxiety. I have serious problems with panic without thinking about it. I've heard that massage can help greatly. Nothing beats a good screaming fit...but that's generally not a possibility! :) Exercise helps sometimes.

Bennydog
22-01-07, 06:15
I have the same syptoms, I think about right away in the morning sometimes its there sometimes its not, I can rarely get through a whole day without a little anxiety. I will be feeling great and the littlest thing will set it off. I had it so bad about 7 years ago, It lasted for 2-3 years then gradually went away where I wasnt thinking about it at all. My life went back to normal, I could go anywhere and do anything, This has happend 2 different times in my life, I have never taken medication ( i dont even take asprin) It will be with me for a few years then completeley go away. Just recently within the last 4 months it has came back. It is not as bad as before but still a terrible way to live. Exercise does help just getting your heartrate up naturally sometimes makes me feel better. If you feel it coming on go run around the block It helps me!!

wendy
22-01-07, 18:14
Hi All

Thanks for all of your replies, have had a better day today just wish I could have a full day free from anxiety!

Wendy x