PDA

View Full Version : citalopram

debjay
21-01-07, 18:22
i been suffering from anxiety and panick attacks but for the last couple of months i ve been having them every day they seem to last forever .been to see the doctor on numerous occasitions because im convinced i ve got something really bad i know i haven t just cant help worrying.the doc wants me to take citalopram which i was very unsure of as i had a really bad time with seroxat . so i took my first citalopram today after having a terrible night of panick attacks and after about an hour i felt really bad , with dizzines thought i was going to pass out ,i was shaking really scary its put me off taking anymore ,has any one else had any side effects with citalopram. buy the way im on 20mg.its the first time ive posted anything but plucked up courage today.

happyone
21-01-07, 19:31
Hi
from what I know (not a lot) it is more usual to start you on 10mg and increase. However, I do know that symptoms can be felt in the first few weeks, including an increase of anxiety symptoms.
However, do ask doc for advice as there are some people who are not able to take them.
Happyone

"Today is the day before tomorrow. Tomorrow is another day." wisdom of my daughter!

honeybee3939
21-01-07, 20:14
Hi Deb

And welcome to NMP

I have been taking Citalopram for around 8 years on and off. I know dizzyness/ heightend anxiety are one of the side effects of taking the drug, and like happyone states 10mg is usually the starting doseage, i would have a word with your gp, and see if you can start on 10mg, then the side effects wont be so severe.
I also find it easier to take my medication before bed at night, then by the time i wake up the side effects have worn off.

Hope that helps and good luck hun

Love

Andrea
xxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

Chopper
22-01-07, 08:33
Mornin' Debjay,

I've been on various doses of Citalopram for about 18 months now and have had multiple, persistant, side-effects ..... but, about a week to 10 days ago I finally felt, well, 'cured'! No shakes, no anxiety, no sweats no other symptoms/side-effects, just the 'old' me back again.

The first 4-6 weeks can be the worst, particularly the sleep problems, but I'd say persevere m'dear, persevere, it'll be worth it in the end.

Happiness and light to all,
'Chopper'

I saw her once, one little while, and then no more:
’Twas Eden’s light on Earth a while, and then no more.
Amid the throng she passed along the meadow-floor:
Spring seemed to smile on Earth awhile, and then no more;
But whence she came, which way she went, what garb she wore
I noted not; I gazed a while, and then no more!

James Clarence Mangan 1803 - 1849

debjay
22-01-07, 21:59
thanks for replys i went back to see my gp after i ended up in a&e with side effects chest pains dizziness and racing heart i had an ecg and check up and everything was fine ,so my gp prescribed diazopan and told me to take one if i feel panicky until i go and see mental health nurse in a weeks time ,so ill see how i go with these.[8D]

happyone
22-01-07, 22:12
let us know how you go.

Take care
Happyone
x

"Today is the day before tomorrow. Tomorrow is another day." wisdom of my daughter!

debjay
25-01-07, 09:58
hi everyone over last few days only had to take a couple of diazopam for panick i went and bought myself a couple of books about panick and anxiety and have been doing deep breathing , tuns out a lot of people who suffer with panick attacks only shallow breath instesd of breathing from your diaphram so you can feel your stomache moving in and out not your chest. felt a bit better anyway . debs xx

Chopper
25-01-07, 10:19
Mornin' Debs,

Have you tried the 7/11 technique? Inhale for a count of seven then exhale for a count of eleven. Once you get used to the technique it can prove helpful if you feel panicky.

'Chopper'

'Chopper'

Let us pray to Him who holds Life’s issues in his hands—
Him who formed the mighty globe, with all its thousand lands;
Girding them with seas and moutains, rivers deep, and strands,
To case a look of pity upon Kathleen-Ni-Houlahan!

James Clarence Mangan 1803 - 1849

debjay
26-01-07, 22:31
hi chopper , yes i have heard of the 7/11 ive really been trying to cocentrate on my breathing which helps for a bit , but then a little thought pops into my head and i feel anxious again sometimes i think ill never feel normal again and i really dont want to rely on medication because i know how bad it is coming off them i had really bad withdrawl from seroxat a couple of years ago .thanks for your reply debs xx

Daisybun
29-01-07, 18:32
Hi deb, hope you are doing OK. I have been on citalopram for over 6 months now and it is the best thing I did. I felt yuck for about 2-3 weeks then gradually i felt better and better. As Chopper said i am my old self again.

Take care
Daisybun

'This too will pass'

Rollingperson
29-01-07, 19:09
I have been taking Citalopram for a couple of weeks now. I started off on 10mg and went up to 20mg and thought I had pretty much escaped any side effects but for the last couple of days I have been quite nauseous and had bad headaches, as well as feeling quite tired. These arnt unbearable really, just uncomfortable. Heres hoping that they fade soon!
How long, generally, do these tablets take to start doing their thing...ie. making me feel better?
Thanks lots,
Kx

"Why do lovers, choose others,
we circle entwine one another,
in that mask that we wear with each other.
Oh my God how I looked in the mirror,
I looked at a hollow picture,
it was something I could frame"

BigCog
29-01-07, 22:27
took a very long time for me to turn the corner, and I think citalopram helped, maybe not in the way I had expected. as one person once said to me these things can help you to cope and then you begin to emerge and get the strength to build on that, they are not a miracle cure as such. right now I am very slowly reducing my dose after about 3 months without any problems. doing that very carefully though under doctors supervision. For me it took at least 8 weeks to feel I was beginning to return to normal, but I think I would have been exceptional, most people seem to be 2-4 weeks.