PDA

View Full Version : Am I on too high a dose? (fluoxetine)

jj101
18-04-15, 18:15
So I was on 20mg for 4 weeks, I didn't think it was doing much so I doubled to 40mg. I have been on 40mg for 4 weeks now and feel awful. The depression is much worse and it feels like there's a big black cloud inside my head, finding it much harder to concentrate etc. I don't even feel like myself anymore. Should I decrease the dose by myself or will the side effects go on their own soon?

Davit
18-04-15, 18:28
Seratonin is a neurotransmitter, it's job is to regulate information crossing the synapses.
SSRIs slow the loss of it. (a normal process of loss and replacement) Seratonin if it is too low allows to much information through, you get agitation, anxiety, information overload and depression because you can't handle everything coming at you. To high and it blocks information it would normally let through. You feel lethargic and like you are missing something, depressed because you don't know what it is. When SSRIs work they work well, but have to be adjusted. If it was me I'd only have gone up half, not doubled it, looking for that happy medium. But that is me, not you and we are not allowed to give medical advice.

jj101
10-05-15, 23:44
Seratonin is a neurotransmitter, it's job is to regulate information crossing the synapses.
SSRIs slow the loss of it. (a normal process of loss and replacement) Seratonin if it is too low allows to much information through, you get agitation, anxiety, information overload and depression because you can't handle everything coming at you. To high and it blocks information it would normally let through. You feel lethargic and like you are missing something, depressed because you don't know what it is. When SSRIs work they work well, but have to be adjusted. If it was me I'd only have gone up half, not doubled it, looking for that happy medium. But that is me, not you and we are not allowed to give medical advice.

I'm still taking 40mg and still feel awful, infact I feel worse. Do you think I should increase or decrease the dose?