PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Lilly S
21-01-07, 22:33
Hi there

I have never done anything like this before, but here goes. I am 24 and have been having panic attacks since i was 20, it started in my 2nd year at university and came out of now where, still dont understand why i started having them which i still find hard. When it started i did not know what was happening and thought i was going mad, now i seem to have panic attacks in certain situations, trains are a real problem as well as planes and any situation where i feel trapped and cant remove myself from the situation. After a long period of avoidance and then trying to deal with my panic on my own i started cbt which has helped a lot and have started getting the train to work when i can, but does anyone else ever think to themselves life should not be this hard, feel like i am getting through each day rather than living it.

All my friends and family are very supportive but they dont have panic attacks and i often feel really alone and the worst thing about it all is you cant escape it because it is in you head, think about it all the time which only makes it worse. Due to the panic I also feel trapped in life generally and inadequate, which only knocks your confidence and makes me feel even less capable of being able to cope with my panic attacks.

Not sure if you are supposed to write this much but i dont really feel able to talk to anyone about this and its nice to be able to get these things of your chest. Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

honeybee3939
21-01-07, 22:40
Hi Lilly

A BIG warm welcome to you, lovely to see you here,im sure you will get some great advice and support while making new friends on the way.:D

Lovely to hear the CBT is helping, sounds like you are making progress already.

Love

Andrea
xxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

clickaway
21-01-07, 22:40
Welcome Lilly,

Don't worry about what you write - that was a lovely introduction!

I am glad you are getting some CBT and that will certainly help. The more you understand this, the better it will become.

Take time to read our advice pages as well as the posts on here.

Take Care,

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

daisy2
21-01-07, 22:56
hello Lilly,
I know exactly how you feel, everything you have said is what i go through myself every day. I have not been able to get on a plane for years, even the thought of getting to the airport scares the life out of me!
Everyone here is really nice and there are loads of people to chat to about how you feel. So a big welcome to you
Nina x x

Lynnann
21-01-07, 23:25
Hi Lily,

Welcome to NMP, you will make some good friends here and get some great advice and support along the way.

Hugs to you

Lynnann :D

den64
21-01-07, 23:52
hi lilly
welcome to the site, theres loads of helpfull information on this site, good people to

take care
denise :D:D

manmoor
22-01-07, 00:40
Hi Lilly,

A big warm welcome to you.

"When There Was Only One It Was Then That I Carried You."

tommythomson
22-01-07, 18:16
Hi Lilly

Welcome to nmp.
Glad cbt is helping.

Take care

T

nomorepanic
23-01-07, 18:08
Hi Lilly

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

sal
23-01-07, 18:16
Hi Lilly

You will get lots of great advice and brilliant support on site. People are here who totally understand how you are feeling.

Great youve joined.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

Lilly S
23-01-07, 19:44
thanks everyone for your replies, everyone does seem really welcoming here, and it is nice to be able to talk to other people who understand (not that i would wish panic attacks on anyone).

Actually just backed out of getting the train today..how silly it all is, although maybe thats the most frustrating thing I know its silly and i am in no danger but in the 'moment' cant see the sense from the panic!!! oh well there are always other trains and other days :-)

i completely understand the planes thing though, they are the big one arnt they, i have often thought about going on one of those courses airlines offer where they are supposed to help you overcome your fear and end the course with a short flight, they sound pretty good. Although the irony being that once you have forked out for it you will probably have to wait a year till you can afford a holiday.

Lindalou64
23-01-07, 22:25
HI LILY
YES SOUNDS VERY FAMILIAR WITH ALOT OF US IM SURE YOU WILL GET GOOD SUPPORT AND INFO HERE...BEST TO YA........LINDA[8D]

sal
23-01-07, 23:57
Hi Lilly

Does sound silly to people who havent been through it, but understand. Its like someone suddenly puts this monster in front of you whatever you have to face, trains, buses, work, people and suddenly we freeze and cant do it. We dont see what others see or feel how they do, but we can overcome it and you will with all the help you get on here.

I still believe until you have suffered no one can comprehend how we feel. But we can feel like the rest of them given time and support and we can be us again.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

wobily_lin
24-01-07, 14:12
elo Lilly,

A big welcome to the site..you will find great support and advice here n good friends too x

Take care,
Lin xxx
"Fear is dat lil darkroom, wer negatives r developed", so positive thoughts okies!!!!!

Chopper
24-01-07, 14:52
Good afternoon Lilly and welcome!

I'm sure you'll find many compassionate and informed people in these forums who'll help you along, provide support when you need it and, on occassion bring a smile to your face.

We've all been or are going through mixed emotions, take various medication have 'unique' symptoms but we're all very similar and supportive and, due to it's mature, the forums are a great way to articulate your feelings without the fear of face to face dialogue.

I look forward to reading your posts and contributing if I can.

Happiness and light to all,
'Chopper'

Let us pray to Him who holds Life’s issues in his hands—
Him who formed the mighty globe, with all its thousand lands;
Girding them with seas and moutains, rivers deep, and strands,
To case a look of pity upon Kathleen-Ni-Houlahan!

James Clarence Mangan 1803 - 1849