PDA

View Full Version : Get fit

ashero38
21-04-15, 23:06
Hi everyone I suffer from HA but I want to get fit how do people do this without worrying about the aches and pains from exercising

colinmckee2
21-04-15, 23:22
What sort of aches and pain do you worry about? All excercise will lead to muscular pain afterwards- from my experience anyways. My fear of exercise comes from a fear of cardiac arrest, so I know your struggle. I booked with a personal trainer- made me feel
More confident that I had someone there incase anything were to happen to me. Positive thoughts

Sam123
21-04-15, 23:28
Hi,

I've suffered with HA for a long time, and in the last 2 years i have come on leaps and bounds. I have managed to overcome most of my irrational fears in terms of my health, and in the process became much fitter and healthier.
I used to want to exercise but i hated the sound of my heartbeat, actually i still do, also because my body wasn't used to this activity i would ache and have lots of different sensations for days after, which would make my anxiety go through the roof thinking i had all sorts of illnesses. I just stuck at it, and over time you're body does get used to the activity hence not as many aches.

I can't really give you one simple way you can do this, it's a mixture of things really and depends on you as an individual. I personally like to know the answers to everything, so for me i used my time researching the human body, the positive affects of exercise and a healthy diet. I actually became addicted to it all, don't get me wrong i still used to sit there googling everything :doh: but it takes a lot of time, patience and motivation. There were times i took one step forward and 3 steps back.

I think the main focus is to beat HA, people do this in different ways, mine was learning to focus my attention on how to be healthy instead of 'What if i'm ill?'

My lifestyle now is far healthier than it ever was, and i kind of have health anxiety to thank for it :blush:

Start of slow, just don't rush in to anything to strenuous i suppose, and keep reminding yourself that what you are doing is benefiting your health. :)

KayeS
22-04-15, 00:40
So I've been weight training/bodybuilding for over 12 years, and funnily enough, my anxiety is at it's worst when I'm out of the gym for a while for whatever reason. And I noticed that it's BECAUSE I don't have the usual muscle pain (DOMS) that I have nearly every day of the week from training, it opens me up to noticing other little twinges and pains that I wouldn't normally notice. Plus being out of the gym just makes me feel weaker and unhealthy. When you're training it gives you a positive mental attitude towards your health. You feel strong, powerful, and healthy. I've been out of the gym for the last 2 months because of injury/illness and I feel so weak at the moment, even psychologically and it just makes my health anxiety 10x worse...

MyNameIsTerry
22-04-15, 05:31
The level of aches & pains you experience will depend on various factors including the type of exercise you intend to do. For instance, lifting weights is all about causing "micro tears" hence the DOMS but cardio is less likely to cause this as its more related to endurance & stamina than tearing down muscle for the body to rebuild it bigger.

So, you could start small. Walk. Then maybe move onto cycling which is also low impact. Swimming is low impact.

If you start straight away with running, you can expect more in the way of aches & pains because you won't be used to it.

If you start straight away with weights, the first 3 weeks are always a bit worse until the body adapts.

There are ways to reduce aches & pains e.g. proper walking up, stretching (dependant on exercise) and even through pre & post workout supplementation.

I think the thing you have to do is remember that you worked out yesterday so todays aches & pains are due to that, nothing more. This would actually be an exposure exercise so its not going to be easy but it could actualy help you with your HA.

Kerplunk18
23-04-15, 01:35
Why don't you meet up with friends and go to local pool. Swimming is a good workout but puts little pain on the body.

Plus it's a fun activity and won't feel like you're working out :):)

MyNameIsTerry
23-04-15, 05:11
What sort of aches and pain do you worry about? All excercise will lead to muscular pain afterwards- from my experience anyways. My fear of exercise comes from a fear of cardiac arrest, so I know your struggle. I booked with a personal trainer- made me feel
More confident that I had someone there incase anything were to happen to me. Positive thoughts

Colin,

Just incase its any use in the future, there is something a lot of people don't seem aware of called the GP Exercise Referral Scheme. This allows GP's to refer their patients to a PT who has been trained in rehabilitation exercise. They tend to show a list of physical issues and post-ops but if you look at some of the PR's own websites they include things like anxiety, depression, CFS/MF, fibro, etc on their list.

This service is free and you get so many sessions. I know people who have been on it and you get full use of the gym and a tailored plan and support from the PT.

Another interesting possibility is that some of the sports clubs are even running their own social schemes to improve health. My local premiership footie club run several and send out info to the IAPT people to offer to their patients. Again, its all free because they get grants.

Daniele_T
23-04-15, 09:36
Practice tai chi to begin with..I would say also yoga but the stretching can cause pain and aches because with HA we tend to have tensed up nerves, I certainly do.

Tai chi is a very soft form of exercise that will help relax you, give you exercise and regulate your breathing.

It is a perfect start.

Alternately you could do like I have on occasion, bite the bullet do the 7 minute cardio workout at 100% intensity flat out 3 times consecutively and you'll walk round for a week pretty certain that you can't possibly be about to die from a heart attack.

HA is a horrible thing and creates so many symptoms...I've often asked myself ' What am I supposed to go to the doctor's with?'
Of all the symptoms he wouldnt know where to begin.

MyNameIsTerry
23-04-15, 09:40
Good suggestion.

In that case you can add Qi Gong. Some of the exercise routines are tailored to people with physical conditions to limit any effects that could be harmful to them. You will also find routines aimed at anxiety & depression in these forms so perhaps a double win there?