PDA

View Full Version : Is HIV hard to transmit?

Andy699
21-04-15, 23:22
Hi guys,

Haven't posted in a while so this will be long. I'm 20 years old, male, and gay. I'm not gonna lie, I do like sex and I do sleep around a bit. However, I always always use protection, get tested twice a year etc. A few weeks back I had unprotected sex with a guy when I was a bit tipsy and he ejaculated inside me (disgusting, I know). I started to panic the next day so I called him and asked if he had HIV and he said he had done a test the week before which was negative. So now I'm terrified I have HIV! I'm going for a test on Thursday but I've already spoke to a doctor and she told me that HIV is very hard to catch. She said most people get HIV after being continuously exposed to it. She said I should still test but my chances of having it are about 1%. I don't know why I'm worrying so much :( I haven't had any flu like symptoms and I feel fine. My main question is whether or not HIV is hard to get? Would I have to have exposure after exposure? And do you think the Dr is right?

Thanks everyone

Gary A
22-04-15, 02:04
Anyone having unprotected sex should be tested for sexually transmitted infections. However, you'd need to be really really unlucky to have contracted HIV after one instance. It's possible though, of course, so I'd do as the doctor says while not working yourself up into a frenzy. Chances are, you're fine, but get checked to be safe.

sarahsparkleshine
22-04-15, 02:28
Im not sure that it takes multiple times with an infected person to catch it, however, it's not a common disease so I'd not worry about it. He told you he'd been tested, and if you've been tested since then you're fine! Tests now catch it weeks after exposure. None the less, get a test to have peace of mind, but I can guarantee you don't have it.

MyNameIsTerry
22-04-15, 05:23
Given the scale of HIV/AIDS and how much the government has put into raising awareness in the UK since 20+ years ago, I would be inclined to believe a GP would be very familiar with it and how it transmitted.

He had a very recent test which is a very good sign.

I would spend time asking the person you see about all this as they will know far more about it. In fact, don't they like to talk about all this at these appointments anyway so educate people about the risks?