PDA

View Full Version : worried about lump on rib

emmalj0
23-04-15, 09:31
Hi im new here kind of at end of my tether worrying over a lump i have had for over two years now. It sits on my rib right where underwire of bra sits. Iv been for ultrasounds seen lots of different drs no one seems concerned as its not grown, its smooth and moves around. After googling soft tissue lumps i have it fixed in my head that i have a sarcoma rather than a lipoma that it has been diagnosed as.

anybody else in a similar situation who could help me.

thanks

Emilym80
23-04-15, 10:32
Hi there,

There's every possibility that it's a cyst. That's what it sounds like to me, with my (limited) medical knowledge. I'm sure the doctors would investigate further if they thought it was cause for concern and imaging/ultrasound of the lump would show anything worrisome.

Can you see your GP about it? If it is a cyst, many kinds can be drained and then it won't be there anymore. As well as you worrying about it, it must be annoying!

Best wishes :)

emmalj0
23-04-15, 11:02
Hi there thanks for reply. All the drs i have seen have said feels like a fatty lump not a cyst. Iv had 2 ultrasounds nothing has been detected. Iv been told its my health anxiety that i need to sort out im just trying to find ways of doing this whilst i await cbt. I read things on google which is why im scared its more than what all the drs are saying.

:scared15:

Emilym80
23-04-15, 12:45
I think fatty lumps can be removed quite quickly under local anaesthetic. If it's bothering you, maybe that would be worthwhile?

I think, firstly, that the stories on the internet about people being misdiagnosed are so prominent because there's so few. If people were genuinely being misdiagnosed as having a benign fatty lump when they actually had sarcoma, the media etc would be up in arms! And the nation's doctors would be in big trouble, if it was happening regularly.

Also, I doubt many of those people actually had scans/imaging done of their lumps- I don't see how else it could happen.

Take care :)

Gary A
23-04-15, 13:02
Let's look at the facts here. You've had a clear ultrasound, you've had the lump for two years without it growing and I'm assuming with no other symptoms, you've saw countless doctors who all independently agree that it's fatty tissue, it's moveable and smooth.

First off, an ultrasound would have picked up cancer. If it was indeed sarcoma, it would have grown progressively in two years and would most likely by now be causing you to feel very very ill. There's a slight chance of a doctor misdiagnosing you, sure, but numerous doctors? Come on, not going to happen. A sarcoma wouldn't be moveable, it would be a rigid mass.

There is just no reason whatsoever to think this is anything other than what you've been told it is.

emmalj0
23-04-15, 14:59
Hi thanks for the advice i have come on here hoping peoples opinions will help me overcome my ha. Iv sought advice about having removed but wont refer me as they feel unnecessary they wont even do biopsy. Iv read so much abput sarcomas and lipomas bein mis diagnosed and its stuck in my head.

emma

Emilym80
24-04-15, 01:23
If you'd had a sarcoma for two years, it would have grown significantly and you'd be quite ill by now.

Try to keep that in mind :)

sarahsparkleshine
24-04-15, 03:42
Soft tissue sarcoma grows rapidly and is fixed.

emmalj0
24-04-15, 06:27
Thanks for the replies everybody its really helping me try to think positive i know its my ha that takes over :)

emmalj0
25-04-15, 19:02
Hi bit worried today im tryin not to touch or think about my lump however somedays it hurts. Iv mentioned this to dr previously they just dont seem bothered just tell me its a fatty lump. Any advice pls