PDA

View Full Version : How do you....?

belle
22-01-07, 14:24
I've done loads of reading about panic attacks this weekend. It says in most of the books that when you have a panic attack you should NOT fight the feeling. Tell me how on earth do you not fight the panic attack when to me, my instant natural reaction IS to fight. I can't imagine what it would be like to be completely consumed with that horrid feeling.

Any ideas?

Sarah

samc100
22-01-07, 14:38
I think you almost need to practise it - the more you do the closer you get to letting the panic get on with it and it not be the end of the world. I used to be devasted after an attack but getting better at that now.

can recall the first time I let it have me...
I'd travelled to work on a bus freaking out more and more, got into the office, got to my desk, looked at my colleagues and thought toi myself "either sit down and fight it or just let go'..

I was surprised I actually thought about and it was a decision I made.

I humilated myself, cried and wailed, got sent to the Dr's in a taxi. Had a few worse attacks but I had to learn not to fight and that took time. Then it began to turn a corner and I could feel slightly more control in that I would be thinking "oh go on then - get on with it"

domino
22-01-07, 17:54
Hi sarah, you know this is going to sound stupid ,but you really have to ride it out , deep breaths help, or focusing on something else, you will not die from a panic attack, although you feel that you are. [flight do,nt fight]

HazyMind
23-01-07, 15:17
Hi Sarah,

Have you ever read any Claire Weekes books?
She writes about how we need to accept our feelings of fear and not fight them as fighting causes more tension etc and just adds more fear.

I recommend one of her books if you haven't read one already, she explains so well how our bodies react to fear, its a reassuring read.

I know this is so easier said than done and in the middle of a panic my thoughts race and I can't even think straight but I expect that the more you can learn to accept and not fight the better things will get!

Good Luck!!

Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom.

buttercup123
23-01-07, 16:33
I am also learning how to do this, with the help of Rescue Remedy, and I was so proud of myself the first time I did it, that I was giggling to myself!!
The more you fight the more you panic and I find getting on with it is the most effective way to have shorter attacks, when I get wound up with myself and fight it, it always gets worse and lasts longer!!

*whenlifegivesyoulemonsmakelemonade*

kimmy
23-01-07, 17:03
You can! I did!!!!!

Ok what is meant by fight is you basically feeding the anxiety. When your panicky/anxious you feed it with fears ie. Im going to faint, die, go mad etc = you getting more anxious and panicky.

If you think of anxiety/panics as a monster whats the worst thing you can do??? Feed it!! It stays alive longer!

Now this monster is a bully, it dont like you but loves the fact you feed it!

I know this is hard, and this may seem patronising but I read this in a small book from the library.

Now when you have the feelings, as hard as it seems at the moment but it DOES get easier I promise. Just accept them, instead of saying all those horrible thoughts try and just accept what is happening.

Go with the flow! It will stop, gradually it gets easier, I am virtyually free from panics etc now.

As hard as it seems right now, it will work gradually but for sure x

belle
23-01-07, 19:20
Thank you all.
I am NOT looking forward to the next panic attack, however, it will be good practice. Perhaps i should take myself out of my safety zone alone and go with it!?
Dare i do it alone......in the car.........away from home?
SCARY!!!!!

Sarah

Lilly S
23-01-07, 20:05
hi Sarah,

I have read the same thing, think the theory is if you embrace the fear you wont be afraid of it anymore! It is the fear of fear itself that perpetuates the problem. I find that having had so many panic attacks and having lost my dignity so many times! just do what you need to do, i panic on trains and most forms of transport so i make sure i always have music, puzzles, rescue remedy and a paper bag with me when i travel. Its all about finding your own way :-) Sounds like you are on top of it though, good luck with the next venture out the comfort zone

Lindalou64
23-01-07, 22:49
ITS VERY HARD BUT THEY SAY NOT TO FIGHT THEM GO WITH IT AND IT SHALL PASS I KNOW EASIER SAID THEN DONE WITH ALOT OF PRACTICE AND KNOWING THAT IT WILL NOT HARM YOU.........BEST TO YA....LINDA[8D]

Trev
23-01-07, 23:42
I found it very hard not to fight them at times.
You do get more used to it after a while and can go with it better. I found it's more about not feeding it. All those little drips of "what if?" add up in the end.

Also, when under more stress one can break through every now and then.

Time, practice, reading the signs, and distraction are probably the best thing I reckon.

It's easy said but not always so easy to do!!! :D

Cheers,
Trev

belle
24-01-07, 00:13
Okay..
So picture this..
I am driving and i have "THE WAVE OF FEAR" come over me. Usually at this point i am only a mile from home (if that), but i will turn round asap and put my little foot down and zoom my way home (within the speed limit of course...lol)
As "Lilly S" says, its the fear of the fear. I HATE the inital wave that just begins in the pit of your stomach and instantly makes you want to move faster than you ever have in your life...!
Since i've been poorly my going out has not been so great. Chest infection > breathing problems > scared = panic! For once i do actually have proper breathing problems rather than anxiety induced, NOT saying they are not REAL, but anxiety related breathing issues are harmless, whereas wheezing with chest infection isn't quite so harmless :(
Anyway...now that i am feeling 70% better, i AM going to try to go out EVERYDAY, and EVERYDAY i will go that little bit further, even if its 10ft. Does that sound a good place to start?

What do you think?
Sarah x

sal
24-01-07, 00:27
Hi Sarah

Just like you i want told not to fight them. Yeah so lie back and lose it altogether.

So i fought and moved on a little bit everytime like you are.

Then one day i was on may own and i had a massive panic attack and i actually thought lets see where it takes me however scared i got.

Letting that happen didnt change me, I didnt run before we usally do, i went through it and yes i wont deny it was horrible but no worse than focussing on something to take my mind of it. It was an emotion i hated and had always feared since becoming ill but whether i had fought it or did what i did it didnt make me different, it made me understand that however bad i felt i would come out of it and gave me the experience to know that its a temporary feeling it wont last forever however many times it returns.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

belle
24-01-07, 08:39
You people are very wise, you should all be proud of your knowledge :)

THANK YOU!!!!!

Nigel...
Spinning, What the heck is that?

Sarah x

jo61
24-01-07, 09:03
Yeah Nigel, I'd be interested too. I thought spinning was something you did on a bike at the gym lol

Jo :D

Trev
24-01-07, 10:02
Hi Sarah,

I often found that I would spend most of my time hoping that a panic wouldn't come. This all boils down to the same thing. FEAR. And fear produces the chemicals that are going to crank up the feelings and lead to the panic.
It's the vicious circle of panic.

I found that the "Thoughts, Feelings, Behaviour" model explained it in a way I could easily relate to.

Simply put it says your Thoughts lead to your Feelings which influence your Behaviour pattern.

Think "Oh my god it's coming" and sure enough you feel like cr*p and may even hit a panic attack. This may then influence your behaviour. In your case you rush home. You consider not going out so much, etc.

FOR SURE DO GO OUT AND DO GO THAT EXTRA 10 FEET EACH TIME.

Doing things is the only way to build shattered confidence, and confidence is critical to recovery. Even the confidence to "go with it" when an attack happens.

Don't test yourself though. Just do things whether you panic or not. And don't measure progress over days or weeks. It will take as long as it takes. Putting pressure on yourself and testing yourself can just be fear dressed up another way.

Just doing things is good. If you can do them in a carefree way then you are on the way to recovery :D

Cheers :D

Piglet
24-01-07, 11:35
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">

The trouble is that if a person faces their fears and comes away feeling absolutely awful, it just reinforces those fears for next time. It really was as bad as expected. What's needed is a way to face them and remain relatively calm. Coming away feeling; "That was better than I expected." That's when the real changes will start to happen.

Nigel

<div align="right">Originally posted by Nigel - 23 January 2007 : 18:43:06</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

That is so true - so how do we address this?? Is this by the babysteps route rather than the flooding technique.

Perhaps I should ask this of the Prof when he comes into chat on 1st Feb. I'm not sure what he thinks about baby steps, or if he sees that as avoidance in the sense to get over panic you need to just plunge in there and not be afraid to panic!

You see I have tried that way in the past and just gone out but no I have come back feeling terrible and it's totally put me off going out again and then I have to start from scatch all over again.

I've decided this year to go public with panic in addition to my baby steps routine. So much of the extra tension in me is this business of pretending I'm ok!!

I don't recall much about Paul Mckenna's spinning but I remember a bit about it from a cd I listened to - basically I think he asks you to focus on where the panic starts and visualise it as a spinning vortex and then in your mind spin it the opposite way round, back to where it came from, abit like a tornado. I'm sure Nigel can tell us about it properly!

Love Piglet :) xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

belle
24-01-07, 14:09
I mentioned in another thread the other day that i've made a decision to ACCEPT myself as this "AT THE MOMENT". This is the way i am, i was beginning to feel overwhelmed with the amount of pressure i was recieving from all angles. Maybe i will panic when i am trying to do things, but who cares? ITS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD. Doesn't mean i will NEVER recover, does it? Just means that particular day, i didn't do so well!!!! Thats all.
That is the problem Piglet, we do risk over doing it and then we are reliving the fear everytime we go out.....I think thats how i got here in the first place...lol
Arghh....its sucks!

Sarah x

Trev
24-01-07, 14:48
Quote : "Maybe i will panic when i am trying to do things, but who cares?"

Exactly. This is the start of recovery. When this is your attitude then you will get over it. Trying to keep up appearances is extremely tiring and just sets you up to constantly scan your body symptoms and keep fear and panic active.

If panic attacks are regular it ususally doesn't take alot to start them. Our body is highly sensitised, on edge, and will react to the slightest thing. It takes time to become de-sensitised. It will not happen overnight.

We are going to feel crap after an attack. It is very draining. But it is far better to keep doing things. The problem is that we often see having an attack as failure so we come home dejected and beat ourselves up about how we failed etc etc. This leads to lots of negative thought patterns that make us feel worse and fear doing that thing even more next time.

The way forward is to do things and if you panic then so be it. It was Claire Weekes that said "a journey made with panic is just as successful as one made without panic".

However, sometimes when we are very tired it becomes almost impossible and sometimes it may be that we do just need rest. That's ok. It's too easy to think you have to tackle this thing 24 hours a day. Everyone has times when they are knackered, panic attack sufferers or not.

It's my belief that recovery is made up of several factors some of which are Information, Support, Diet, Exercise, Rest & relaxation including massage, Doing things in general, Doing things that you like to do,
Patience.

And remember that everyone has reactions to stressful situations. We are not going to suddenly turn into robots that have no reactions!!! :D:D You've only got to look at Masterchef. They are all under pressure and wanting to do well and end up sweating, going red and then at the end of the day they fall on the sofas in a state of total exhaustion and they have only coked a couple of meals!!! :D:D

Piglet
24-01-07, 15:02
Good post Trev :D:D:D

Trev did you have a lovely time on your hols - please tell us about it cos it gives us all inspiration when one of our gang reaches far flung places!!

I always loved it when LisaS told us her mum had agoraphobia but went onto to go to Peru some years later. I don't want to go to Peru particularly you understand but it's nice to know I could if I wanted to :D:D:D.

Did you read the 'House of Agoraphobia' thread cos I know you respect the Professor and he was kind enough to come in and post on it and is coming in on 1st Feb to answer questions on tackling panic attacks.

Love Piglet :D

Trev
24-01-07, 16:31
I had a great time thanks. I was thinking of posting about it but I didn't want to potentially wind people up with going on about my travels again!! I'll try and get something in success stories maybe. I don't want to tempt fate but I feel totally ok these days as far as anxiety and panic go. Long may it continue please! [^]

Peru? Isn't that where Paddington Bear came from as well? Maybe you could go and try and convert him to Pringle sandwiches :D

I did view that thread and yes, I am a massive fan of the Prof's. I'll be there 1st Feb if I'm around. He's a top bloke I reckon. I missed the House program as it was on when I was away. I've looked at the website but there is no view again that I can find. Do you know anyone who has a copy?

Piglet
24-01-07, 18:08
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I had a great time thanks. I was thinking of posting about it but I didn't want to potentially wind people up with going on about my travels again!! <div align="right">Originally posted by Trev - 24 January 2007 : 16:31:35</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Oh no it's quite the contary mate - it's so inspiring to hear peoples progress it gives us all hope! :D:D:D:D

Altogether on here we now have an eeyore, piglits pal, paddington and me - we now just need a big Pooh!! ;):D:D:D:D

Love Piglet :)

belle
24-01-07, 18:42
Hey...My husband calls me Pooh, does that count??...lol

Sarah

belle
24-01-07, 20:27
Oh crap!!!!

FIRST ATTEMPT.........FAILED

It was not good. I had to drive my husband not even a mile up the road, but it was dark and i hate the dark even when i am NOT driving. I dropped him off, turned round then thats when it hit me!!! Crapping hell. I gave in, turned round and (put my son myself and other drivers in danger) and skidded like a boy racer to go and find my husband. I was panicking like a freaking idiot. He got back in the car and we drove home. I DO feel like a failure, my husband will hate me for being so sh*t, but it won't stop me from trying again!

I'm going to crawl into a corner now and wallow in self pity...lol!

Sarah

Piglet
24-01-07, 22:11
Nigel you are the very cleverest sod in the whole wide world :D

Thank you for answering - I'm coming back in the morning to re-read cos I'm a bit woolley at this time of night and also about the spinning thing as that's right up my street and it appeals to me!!

Sarah - no one ever fails when they try. Perhaps start with smaller goals to build confidence. If I find the end of the road too hard then I bring it back to the first lampost instead. You keep going bit by bit and you'll get there.

You can be a Pooh if you want to be ;):D:D:D:D:D

Piglet :)

belle
24-01-07, 22:28
I just had an epiphany and it goes like this...

I have overcome 85% my fear of puking. I still don't like the idea of someone in my family being ill, but...i've had a couple of doses of dodgy stomach and i didn't panic, i felt too ill!

I have overcome 98% my social phobia. I can have people in my house now. At Christmas i had my mother in law, brother in law, mother, step father, auntie, husband AND son all in my tiny front room entertaining them. At one point i couldn't even have anyone at my front door. This was achieved gradually, its all sort of coming into place.

I have overcome my fear of being alone 100%. My ex leaving and having my now husband living 200 miles away for the first 3 years of our relationship overcome that! So, with this fear it really was a matter of being thrown in at the deep end. Prior to that i would panic constantly the whole day my ex was at work and i even needed to be baby-sat while he went shopping.

....so why is agoraphobia so much harder to deal with??

I was housebound, not able to get upstairs, so i've done a fair bit already, just going out alone and at any distance with my mother is what needs addressing.

Its such a slow process....

Sarah AKA Pooh!

Trev
24-01-07, 23:29
Piglet is right. You haven't failed if you try. Also, seeing things as stark failure or success is sometimes too black and white. Give yourself as much credit as possible rather than looking at the perceived failings. Failure is purely not tryng. Success isn't necessarily not having a panic.

I was pondering your situation earlier tonight. Stressors only cause us stress when we attach a thought and subsequent feeling (which we can't control) to them.
The idea of flying scares one person but fills another with excitement and happiness. The flying is no different. It's the thoughts that the person has about it that dictate their feelings.
The thoughts of the scared person tend to focus on the negatives i.e. "I'm sure it will crash" etc
The thoughts also tend to be anticipatory. They haven't happened and probably never will but the person builds a wall of fears BEFORE THEY EVEN GET NEAR A PLANE.
This is why doing (trying) is so important. It allows you the chance to build up ACTUAL EXPERIENCE and prove that the fears we have built up don't happen.
But we have to get past memory. Memory is built up quickly and can be dogged. Memory of "failure" (having a panic) is there and ready to appear because that's what we did last time.
If it kicks in then stop, see the peak of the panic through and then continue.
We need to build up memory of doing things and this means repetition.
And this takes time.
And you need to de-sensitise the body as much as possible to go back to "normal" reaction times. Again it takes time.

I think Nigel is right. I was told to break tasks up into manageable steps.
Imagine a staircase taking you from A to B. To get there may take 10 big steps. If along the way we get stuck then break one of those steps down further into smaller steps. It doesn't matter how small the step gets, it is still taking you towards your target and MOVING YOU FOWARD.

Anyway, I'd better bugger off as I feel like I've been rattling on for ages again!! [Oops!]

Cheers,
Trev

Piglet
25-01-07, 11:03
All makes perfect sense to me mate and is most encouraging :D:D:D

belle
25-01-07, 14:03
SECOND ATTEMPT: FAILED

Right, i made a decision that i would drive to the point at where i had my panic attack last night, i did it, it wasn't great (please remember that this only a mile from home!), i turned round a drove back up the road and i wanted to attempt the roundabout near my house (still less that 1/2 mile away), i got about 10 meters from the roundabout and i saw what i can only describe as a frigging convoy of juggernauts! How typical? Anxiety levels high....i U-turn and drove home, feeling deflated and poo.
Great.

Sarah x

Trev
25-01-07, 14:53
Sarah, you are being hard on yourself.

First point, you attempted it which takes courage and trying is a success in itself.

Second point is give it time. Very few people area able to just switch off years of fear overnight. I can't stress enough that you really do have to be patient with it. If you are like most of us it will take a while for your mind and body to adjust to the new way of viewing this drive.

Break the steps down or tackle it a different way. When is the quietest time of day for this piece of road? Can you tackle it then?
I know somebody who couldn't cope with driving in Nottingham city. They then tried doing it at 4 in the morning when there was hardly a thing around. Gradually, as confidence came back they started doing it at different times when there was more traffic. Eventually they were able to drive through Nottingham at rush hour.
It may seem extreme to some but it worked.
And it took time. We are talking months for this person.

Break it down, give it time and focus on what you did do and not what you didn't do :D

Piglet
25-01-07, 14:57
Sarah hun we have to stop using this word failed - it's so negative!!

You did not fail, it just didn't go as well as you wanted or hoped it would - that is not failing. What you are doing at the moment is practising and with regular attempts you will do it!!

We have to be our own best friends here - you would never say to me 'Piglet you have failed today' if I had just told you what you told us.

It's a terribly harsh way to judge yourself - if you were here I would hug you and say well done mate for trying, so could you not do the same to yourself. :D:D:D

Love Piglet xx

belle
25-01-07, 15:11
Sorry.
I feel that i am not doing as well as i did say 6 months ago, in the summer. I AM being hard on myself, i know i am. I want to be better but finding it way too hard, i don't think i have the ability to get over this and that makes me feel awful. Today i'm down, you can probably tell. I try my hardest to be positive but its hard. I've been sat here thinking maybe i would be better if i just pack my husbands things and got him to leave before he leaves me. I know he's getting more and more upset with me (even more so after last nights little episode!). I keep thinking, maybe if i got a new car, would that make me feel more secure!? I have a crappy L reg renault clio and i would really like a new one, i don't like driving far in an old car - or am i just making excuses?
Don't know.

Sarah

belle
25-01-07, 15:37
How about this?

Since i've been ill i haven't really been taking or collecting my son from school. I've driven the 30 sec drive instead but thats only been this week!
This afternoon, I WALKED the 3 minute walk for the first time since the Christmas holidays ended!!!!!!
Phew...

Sarah

ceecee
25-01-07, 15:54
hi sarah
you,re doing great!its all about taking small steps and not getting too dissappointed when we have blips!(everyone has there off days!!!!!!!!!!!!)
i know how hard the school run is hun but we are strong people who don,t give up that easily!!!!!!!1
take care
rach x

Trev
25-01-07, 16:39
Sarah, I think one of the nastiest tricks this thing plays is that you don't recover in a "straight line" if you know what I mean.

When we don't feel well with say a cold or something we expect to feel rough for a bit and then get gradually better day by day.

This thing just throws that concept right out the window. We can start to feel better and then bang, one day we feel like we are back to the start or worse! It tests our patience and feeds negative thought patterns.

We have to expect blips and ups and downs. I had many blips and found them very demoralising. But blips are part and parcel of it all. Try and focus on the very big picture. You have made massive progress really in the things you have already conquered.

Sounds like you might be best to take a time out and focus on resting and re-charging and consolidating the things you are doing.

The frustration of wanting to be rid of it all actually creates anxiety and just keeps it alive for longer. Vicious circle yet again.

belle
25-01-07, 16:55
I've asked everyone else to take the pressure off me, but yet i am adding more on myself.
It is a vicious circle.

W.I.F.T.S.
25-01-07, 16:59
Today was the grand opening of a new media department that I will be responsible for at a school. I started off with social anxiety about talking to all the people there....I then felt like I was going to have a panic attack when there was a dance presentation: I was tapping my legs and wringing my hands like mad, the teacher sat next to me must have thought that I was very strange, but I cared less about that than talking myself out of running out of the room or worrying about having a heart attack. I kept saying to myself that I am NOT going to die, that it's just adrenaline and I did calm down quite quickly.

After that I had to go and talk to people again and I did feel a bit unreal. Talking to one person there, a librarian who has been at the school since 1979, made me feel quite depressed because she will be retiring shortly and she (along with a few of the teachers) was saying that she'd been unhappy there for a long time. Can she really have been THAT unhappy if she's been there 28 years?!!!

It is tricky, I've got to say. I'm reading Claire Weekes and I'm trying to float through it and let time pass.....the trouble I have with that is that it's very much like pretending that you don't have a problem and ignoring it, hoping that it will go away.

Ships in harbour are safe..but that's not what ships were built for.

Moonstone
25-01-07, 19:25
hi sarah
i too have a driving phobia, your post about that echoes almost exactly the struggle ive had every day for that last 16 years.
i too find it really hard to drive any great distance away from home and if i come across roadworks/ traffic build up etc have been known to swing the car round in total panick to get away[V][V]
i can have total blocks about certain roads if i come across something it can stop me going down that cetain stretch of road for months until im quite sure that the danger is passed.
its annoying and upsetting, and i have the same fear as you that my car will break down and if i had a newer one it would be better but i know in my heart it is just me finding excuses....please dont feel bad about that it is very understandable.
i wish i could say something more positive, i think in the end we have to just do as much as we can and look upon that....however small......as a step forward.
try not to beat youself up about it.....i just have to sit and say to myself that it really doesnt matter.....if you say it often enough you can even start to believe it! [^]
love and hugs
moon
x

belle
25-01-07, 20:05
WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Its 8pm and i have just driven down in the dark to where i had my PA last night and then i did the frigging roundabout too!!!!!!

One small step for mankind, one giant(ish) leap for Sarah-Pooh!!!!

Trev
26-01-07, 09:51
Well done Sarah Pooh :D

Stick at it and build your confidence. Maybe do it when it's quiet a few times and then build up to busier times. You know you can do it now and nothing bad will happen.

sheena
26-01-07, 10:49
Hi Sarah

You are doing well with your driving. I developed a driving phobia during the worse of my agoraphobia. I used to try every day to get into the car. Some days I could not even make it upstairs to get my coat on. Some days I would get my coat on and not be able to get out of the house. On the odd occasion I would make it to the car and drive a small way. Then I could make it to the doctors. Then to my friends house who was taking me to the dentist. We had to get a taxi from her home. Eventully I made it all the way to the dentist.

For ages there was a roundabout I was scared stiff to go around. Like you I eventually made it round it late at night. Yesterday I was going into the town with a friend and the traffic was choc a block. The roundabout has two lanes and I need to get in the right hand lane in order to turn around and I did it. It was only latter that I realised that this was the roundabout I was so scared of.

So keep trying with your driving, Sarah. I still can't go on motorways yet or too far from home but I feel that I have come a long way for me. It will take time Sarah and you will have disappointments and feel bad about yourself, but you will do it.

Sheena

SHEENA

Piglet
26-01-07, 11:08
Well done Sarah - every reason to feel chuffed hun.

If I were you I would practice this in the dark till it becomes a piece of p*ss (charming expression there piglet) and your confidence is raised and then make it a little harder for yourself when you're ready!! Don't put a time limit on it, it's not a competition - slow but steady wins the day!! :D:D:D

belle
26-01-07, 12:51
Thank you for your support - again!

I sat here last night and just got up and went! I didn't tell anyone OR set a goal for myself. I simply decided to see how far i could go. Its anticapatory anxiety which causes most of my panic. The instant my husband said to me "Can you give me a lift in an hour" i was highly anxious, whereas if you do it "Off the cuff", its SO much better!!!

Sheena, you sounded how i was. For many many months i would not be able to get upstairs alone, then it was a matter of getting the coat on to the end of the path...and so on. My first proper attempt at overcoming agoraphobia i sat in my mums car and went 100 metres up the road in THREE HOURS! That was hard. Well done you for overcoming your driving fear, you should feel v. proud of yourself.

Trev: Thank you very much ;)

Piglet: Thats exactly what i am going to do. I will do the same drive again and again until there is NO anxiety at all and ONLY then i will drive further :)

Thank you...

Sarah x

Piglet
26-01-07, 12:56
Well done mate that's just the approach I take too!! :D:D:D

Piglet xx

Trev
26-01-07, 13:21
Welcome. Remember not to be hard on youself while building up your confidence :D

kimmy
27-01-07, 21:20
bloody well done mate xxxxxxxxx

Rennie1989
28-01-07, 17:44
I fight the small symptoms but when they get bigger I let them do their thing.

"My teddy last night was a paper bag, to keep my safe."

belle
28-01-07, 17:59
Last night i had the horrible (anixety) crappy "I'm going to die feelings", (as you do!) and i honestly did a couple of tummy breaths and they went. Miracle or what?

I don't know how i'd do mid full panic attack...but it did the trick for that :)

Sarah

belle
28-01-07, 18:55
Thank you Nigel - your advice is wonderful :)

belle
31-01-07, 21:00
Oh dear. I had such a traumatic time picking my son up from school today. When i went yesterday i saw that half of the playground has been fenced off because they are resurfacing which means i have to walk further. It was okay yesterday because my ma had picked me up, so i didn't have to walk, however, i was thinking about it today a little and obviously not liking the idea of the extra walk.
I left my house at 3.10 and decided to walk rather than drive (face my fears...blah blah blah). Walking i started to feel pretty poop and by the time i get there i just want to run home, i mean REALLY run home. I felt the surge of panic in my stomach. As i get closer i see Stinky running towards me, thank God. I am shaking like a loon. I ask him about his homework and he said he'd go back and ask his teacher, i tell him mummy isn't feeling well and he said "Mummy, think positive things".....i had to smile. He runs back and asks his teacher, by this time the panic is subsiding. He comes back to me without the homework, i am now feeling well enough to go to the classroom myself and ask the teacher. Phew.....i survived..........JUST!!!!!

I KICKED PANIC'S ARSE :)

Rennie1989
31-01-07, 21:35
I am starting to understand why you should not fight the feeling because you are thinking about it and you are forcing yourself to not feel it anymore. If you was to relax and let it happen then it will go on it's own ... gradually.

"My teddy last night was a paper bag, to keep my safe."

belle
03-02-07, 16:37
Giving up. Horrid day. Had enough of this now.