PDA

View Full Version : Head pressure - causes

Sam123
25-04-15, 19:05
For the last 2 months or so i've been experiencing head pressure and random pains in the back of my head and around my temples. Nothing like a headache, more like i'm floating in space, as if someone is blowing my head up like a balloon. Not nice at all.

I've been trying to find a link to what maybe causing it(asides from anxiety), had no luck up to now.

Anyone else experience this?

Davit
25-04-15, 19:34
Probably because it is anxiety. You are progressing right, with progress comes more anxiety as you realize you can do it, but probably still don't believe it. With me it was like a balloon but also like my brain was being pulled two different directions. Some times it was, I can do this, no I can't, yes I can. With my head getting fatter and fatter.

Gotagetthroughthis
25-04-15, 19:34
Hi Sam,

Glad you posted this as I would be interested to hear if anyone else has any ideas on it.

I made a similar post a while back on head pressure. The sensation is very hard to describe which makes it even harder to be diagnosed. Your description sounds about right though. I say it feels like a overall pressure and my head kind of feels empty/floaty, cotton wool like inside if that makes any sense, also there is major brain fog and everything also feels a bit dulled down unreal and detached when its severe. I do get pains here and there as well but that's bearable as they don't last long, its the pressure and strange sensations that persist that are so strange and horrible it becomes unbearable at times when there is no relief from it.

I have a few ideas on what may be causing mine. So if you or others get health anxious easily don't read on.

Possible causes:

1: Simply anxiety and or depression and some underlying issues or trauma that I am yet to deal with and my subconcious mind is therefore causing these symptoms.

2: Intercranial head pressure, caused by high pulse pressure. Pulse pressure can be measured by the difference between the 2 numbers on your blood pressure reading. So with a normal blood pressure of 120/80 the difference between the numbers is 40 so this would mean the pulse pressure is 40. Where as with mine there is usually a big difference between the numbers. I have low BP but my top number is usually about 120 where as the bottom number is usually around 40/50, very low. This would mean my pulse pressure is around 80. This as well as having a slow heart rate can indicate pressure in the arteries and cause intercranial head pressure.

3: Sinus, ear problem or possibly some sort of allergy causing inflammation in the blood vessels around the head etc.

4: Some sort of blockage in the neck that is stopping blood circulating to the brain properly.

5: Adrenal fatigue, raised cortisol, causing brain fog, fatigue and various other symptoms which may add to this head sensations.

6: Arteriovenous fistulas and issue to do with blood artery and veins which could cause head pressure.

7: Some sort of digestion/gut issue. The gut intestines etc are linked to the brain so any problems here could cause head symptoms.

8: Migraines - they don't necessarily have to be pain, they can just be a headache or head sensation that lasts for a long period of time.

9: Tension headaches. This is what my doctor is putting it down to at the moment. These can be caused and make worse by stress. I dont agree that it is these as mine can sometimes last days without the feelings going away.

There are more I could get into but I think these are the most likely and I definitely think stress/anxiety is one of the biggest factors and makes it worse even if it isn't the only one.

I am to see a neurologist for a second time at the hospital soon and want to push for an MRI, I doubt I will get it though. I had a CT scan a couple of years ago and it came back clear so as far as the docs are concerned its nothing life threatening so they put it down to anxiety and just suggest I take medication to block out the symptoms which 1 I don't want to do, I would rather get to the route of the issue and 2 I don't even think the medication would really help as its an overall feeling/sensation and pressure rather than a pain that can be numbed by pain killers.

What are your opinions on what you think it could be?

Sam123
25-04-15, 20:23
Gotagetthroughthis - Sounds very much the same.

I suffered with migraines for years, horrendous pain. Not had one in over a year now. I'm always getting a very stiff neck and tight muscles there, partly i think due to my job and also my pillow!(Need to get that changed)

I have been quite stressed recently with family matters and i suppose i've allowed it to really get to me, this is something i'm working on.
In general i feel so much healthier than i ever have done, mentally and physically.
Although I've not been getting much sleep as of late. There';s a few things that could be contributing to it. Even the recent humidity, doesn't help.

I'm not worried about this head pressure now. I used to be though when my anxiety was at it's peak, it really frightened me and maybe that's why i notice it because it ignites my past fear.
So i'm pretty much working on distracting myself when it comes to see how quickly it then goes. Also got a little pad to write just a quick note of when i get it and how long it lasted, in case there is a link with stress of other factors that may be contributing to it i can eliminate them!

I am the same in regards to the medication, only once did i use painkillers for my migraines, sounds quite odd i know considering how much i suffered. :doh:

I do believe this will be a passing symptom and will get better over the next few weeks.

---------- Post added at 20:23 ---------- Previous post was at 20:13 ----------

>>http://triggerpointrelief.com/cdrom/trapezius.html

I think this could possibly be a cause for mine, and stress has made it worse. I do not practice good posture at work, if it is a problem with the Trapezius muscle it can cause dizziness and referred pain. Sounds pretty much bang on to what i have.

I'll be working on my posture for sure and changing a few things to see if i notice an improvement :)

Gotagetthroughthis
25-04-15, 20:39
Oh mines sounds a little different then. Sometimes it can last for days, that is rare though. Like at the moment I have had it for 4 days non stop, just wishing that the next day will be better. I used to have a sleep and my head would be better in the morning but not so much now.

Its not even the pressure thats worrying. Its just how odd and empty my head feels, like im so detached and it feels so horrible, I cant even explain it tbh. Whats causing the symptom is not what worries me, its the fact that when I have the symptom I have no idea if its ever going to go away and I can barely function when I have it because I feel so weird and ill.

Anyway thats good your doing a lot better and I hope you manage to get past whatever symptoms you are having.

Sam123
25-04-15, 20:44
Mine comes and goes the longest lasting probably an hour or 2 tops.

Mine also tends to appear in the morning briefly and when i return from work.
What you're describing does very much sound all anxiety related for sure. I don't experience the detached feeling either.

Keep us updated with your visit to the neurologist, i'm sure it will be just fine and hoping this will stop for you very soon! :)

feelthelove
25-04-15, 21:03
Gotagetthroughthis - Sounds very much the same.

I suffered with migraines for years, horrendous pain. Not had one in over a year now. I'm always getting a very stiff neck and tight muscles there, partly i think due to my job and also my pillow!(Need to get that changed)

I have been quite stressed recently with family matters and i suppose i've allowed it to really get to me, this is something i'm working on.
In general i feel so much healthier than i ever have done, mentally and physically.
Although I've not been getting much sleep as of late. There';s a few things that could be contributing to it. Even the recent humidity, doesn't help.

I'm not worried about this head pressure now. I used to be though when my anxiety was at it's peak, it really frightened me and maybe that's why i notice it because it ignites my past fear.
So i'm pretty much working on distracting myself when it comes to see how quickly it then goes. Also got a little pad to write just a quick note of when i get it and how long it lasted, in case there is a link with stress of other factors that may be contributing to it i can eliminate them!

I am the same in regards to the medication, only once did i use painkillers for my migraines, sounds quite odd i know considering how much i suffered. :doh:

I do believe this will be a passing symptom and will get better over the next few weeks.

---------- Post added at 20:23 ---------- Previous post was at 20:13 ----------

>>http://triggerpointrelief.com/cdrom/trapezius.html

I think this could possibly be a cause for mine, and stress has made it worse. I do not practice good posture at work, if it is a problem with the Trapezius muscle it can cause dizziness and referred pain. Sounds pretty much bang on to what i have.

I'll be working on my posture for sure and changing a few things to see if i notice an improvement :)

you can make an easy neck support pillow , all you need to do is get a towel roll it into a sausage then put it in your pillow at the bottom and it makes a support pillow .

Sam123
25-04-15, 21:13
So simple! Thank you i will definitely do this :doh:

feelthelove
25-04-15, 21:21
So simple! Thank you i will definitely do this :doh:
Let me know what you think, i got this from a physiotherapist :)

Sam123
25-04-15, 21:30
I've been trying so many different positions and trying to sleep with my arm under the pillow to raise it, but that just gives me a dead arm in the morning :roflmao:

I'll let you know :)

feelthelove
25-04-15, 21:34
I've been trying so many different positions and trying to sleep with my arm under the pillow to raise it, but that just gives me a dead arm in the morning :roflmao:

I'll let you know :)

ha ha i know what you mean and after a long time of sleeping with your arm under the pillow it causes more pain in the shoulder and neck , the towel rolled up really works for me. Sometimes i just roll a thin pillow up like a sausage sew it so it doesn't unroll and sleep with that and its just so brilliant and like you say so simple . I saw a similar pillow online and it was nearly 20 quid, that's when i found the towel method on a physio video .

Sam123
25-04-15, 21:39
I can only sleep on my left side(long story) so that shoulder really takes a beating, Definitely doesn't help with the neck pain. I'm really looking forward to bed now to try it out hehe oh how easily i am pleased

Sam123
26-04-15, 11:05
Thanks feelthelove

Really helped and i woke today without neck pain and no headache :yesyes: