PDA

View Full Version : Terrified - Mums drinking

louise0501
26-04-15, 03:35
Hi there. My mums 57 and for a long time shes been a heavy drinker. Today shes been drinking all day and she smokes as well and im terrified she is gonna die from alcohol poisoning. She just wont stop and im scared and cant sleep as im worried sick about her. Any advice? can anyone relate to this?

Please Reply
Love Louise xxxxxxxxxx

Oosh
26-04-15, 08:00
Hi

Try the site below. It's set up specifically to support family members of people with drinking problems.

Have you spoken to her about her drinking ?

http://www.al-anonuk.org.uk

Richard1960
26-04-15, 09:01
Hi Louise.

I too was a heavy drinker here is a list of helplines.

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/understand-your-drinking/is-your-drinking-a-problem/alcohol-support-services

You could talk to your mum but you will need lots of support yourself phone one of the advice lines first and think very carefully,she may well listen but may not be very receptive depending on mood.

She has really got to want to come off to stand any chance if she does want to cut down or stop which sorry to say sounds doubtful at this stage as this drinking pattern seems to have become the norm, most drinkers need to hit rock bottom before the shock gives them the kick they need to see their GP for help.

Maybe she is drinking because she is depressed and using the drink to mask that or another worry so bear this in mind.

However your first job is too look after yourself get the advice and make an approach afterwards.

Good Luck Richard.:)

Lissa101
26-04-15, 17:11
Hi Louise, my mum drank for the majority of my life before she stopped ten years ago (I'm 33). It's heartbreaking watching someone do that to themselves.

I hope you found the links the others gave you helpful x

Vaper
28-04-15, 17:20
I have no advice but understanding. I do know that they have to want to change themselves. I feel my partner drinks too much but I am powerless to do anything and he is an otherwise exemplary partner so I try and count my blessings as he gave up smoking recently so slow and steady progress has been made.

As others have said the cause needs to be addressed. My partner has a stressful job and uses drink to calm him. He is otherwise in great health, good diet, given up smoking so I hope he will be ok.

Richard1960
30-04-15, 19:19
Its a shame this poster who was so worried about her mums drinking never come back as an ex alcohol dependant person i like to think i could of been some help.:weep: