PDA

View Full Version : tongue doesn't rest in mouth

brian80
26-04-15, 03:35
hi, about 6 months ago i got a cut in my mouth which forced me to consciously keep my tongue from the wound and after doing so for a week or two i tried to relax my tongue but it wouldn't rest as it normally would. so for 6 months i have consciously tried to keep my tongue in a certain position in my mouth that doesn't make my teeth ache but its really frustrating being constantly aware of where your tongue is in relation to your mouth. it is really discomforting but i don't know who to speak to. i just want things to go back to normal but it won't for some reason.

should i speak to a dentist? i really have no idea and it is really uncomfortable. and during all of this i have been getting all these weird aches in my mouth probably because of the pressure i am putting on my tongue to stay in the position it used to be. i really need some advice guys.

KayeS
26-04-15, 16:22
You've just become hyper aware of your tongue lol. The tongue moves around in your mouth constantly and it's actual resting position is pressed against the roof of your mouth (except if you're breathing through your mouth). It's very normal for it to be moving around constantly, you just don't normally notice it.

brian80
28-04-15, 00:24
i wish it was that :( it's been 6 months and it is still super uncomfortable. not really sure who to contact.

thanks for the response :)

JackDoe
16-11-16, 12:49
I have the same exact problem right now. I am constantly aware of the position of my tongue and were it touches in my mouth.

SLA
16-11-16, 13:17
Everyone is constantly aware of where their tongue is. No-one ever asked... "hey, have you seen my tongue?" :D

You've just let it become the focus of your conscious attention.

Any weird tongue related trauma from your past?

---------- Post added at 13:17 ---------- Previous post was at 13:13 ----------

Are your tongue issues triggered by intrusive thoughts?

JackDoe
16-11-16, 15:06
Everyone is constantly aware of where their tongue is. No-one ever asked... "hey, have you seen my tongue?" :D

You've just let it become the focus of your conscious attention.

Any weird tongue related trauma from your past?

---------- Post added at 13:17 ---------- Previous post was at 13:13 ----------

Are your tongue issues triggered by intrusive thoughts?

I don't think you understood the OP. We all know the tongue is in the mouth. The problem here is different.

Jobes
16-11-16, 15:34
You probably are just noticing your tongue because you have been fixating on it, I have anxiety and I focus on my mouth and lips allot of the time. More then likely nothing has changed and you are just hyper aware about it because you focused on it because of the injury you had.

SLA
16-11-16, 15:36
I understand the problem, sorry I can be a bit flippant sometimes.
My point is that your brain is constantly aware of the exact position of everything... arms, legs, fingers… which direction your eyes are looking etc.

When you consciously check the position of your tongue, and become aware of it, is that process triggered by a thought you have?

JackDoe
16-11-16, 16:33
You probably are just noticing your tongue because you have been fixating on it, I have anxiety and I focus on my mouth and lips allot of the time. More then likely nothing has changed and you are just hyper aware about it because you focused on it because of the injury you had.

Yes probably you are right but I don't know how to get rid of that fixation, it's very frustrating and annoying and I fear it will never end.

---------- Post added at 17:33 ---------- Previous post was at 17:32 ----------

I understand the problem, sorry I can be a bit flippant sometimes.
My point is that your brain is constantly aware of the exact position of everything... arms, legs, fingers… which direction your eyes are looking etc.

When you consciously check the position of your tongue, and become aware of it, is that process triggered by a thought you have?

No, but when I'm anxious, stressed or angry it gets worse

Jobes
16-11-16, 17:35
I find chewing gum makes me ignore my tongue symptoms.

JackDoe
16-11-16, 17:42
I find chewing gum makes me ignore my tongue symptoms.

Are you hyper-aware of your tongue as well? Yes chewing gum could be a good temporary distraction but obviously you couldn't chew gum your whole life

Jobes
16-11-16, 18:12
Yes my tongue has been bothering me for awhile had been very anxious earlier this year.

JackDoe
16-11-16, 19:43
Yes my tongue has been bothering me for awhile had been very anxious earlier this year.

What are you doing to treat your anxiety? Is it getting better?

Jobes
30-11-16, 11:28
I started taking my anxiety\ocd meds again I still focus on the weird symptoms that pop up with anxiety I need to stop looking online about them. I have good days and bad days, someday I don't notice they things that I focus on depending on what im doing.