PDA

View Full Version : Painful Lump In Front of Ear - Is It Dangerous?

RetailMoth
26-04-15, 05:49
About two or three days ago, I noticed a small lump in front of my left ear, in line with my cheekbone. I've had lumps in my earlobes before, and once when I was sick, but they always go away, and don't hurt.

This one hurts when I touch it.

Today it's still there, and it still hurts when something touches it. I think it could be a lymph node but I've never had one hurt before. It doesn't hinder my talking or eating, and it doesn't constantly hurt - only when it's touched. Because of this, i can't check to see if I can move it or anything, but it's a little smaller than a pencil eraser, I think?

Should I be worried?

MyNameIsTerry
26-04-15, 06:47
Lymph nodes can hurt, thats seen as ok with them.

Have you had any illness lately e.g. coughs, colds, ear infections, throat infections, etc? Lymph nodes swell because they detect a localised infection, its part of the immune system response and its designed to protect them from the infection.

RetailMoth
26-04-15, 06:51
I haven't had an illness I'm aware of... I have been sneezing a little more than usual lately, but I attributed that to allergies, given the season, and the fact that my register is right next to the potted flowers.
I might have an ear infection? - my ear does keep tickling/itching and i keep scratching it with my pinkie finger, if that means anything.

ETA: But now that you said it, my throat is feeling a little scratchy today...

MyNameIsTerry
26-04-15, 07:27
Then there is a possibility of something like that which has triggered it. Enlarged lymph nodes are very very common and thats because they are supposed to that when they detect localised infection.

So, why not see if you develop something like a cold, cough, infection, etc and that will tell you why it has enlarged right now?

The body can fight infections on its own. You may have heard that doctors nowadays don't dish out antibiotics like sweeties like they did years ago. The body has the ability to fight infection on its own and its own but we have always tended to go to the doctor and their response was antibiotics but due to how we started to get used to them so they were less effective, doctors around the world have gone back to the old way of waiting if the infection isn't strong enough to warrant immediate treatment.

Emilym80
26-04-15, 09:39
Could it be a pimple or anything like that?

I used to get them occasionally around that area. They can be pretty sore, too.

It could be a blind pimple and therefore just look like a bump. Maybe wait a couple of days and see if it changes or goes away on its own? I doubt it's anything to worry about, though.

xfilme
26-04-15, 22:03
Ive had loads of these in the past. I get them in the crease in front of my ear. For me its usually an infected hair follicle that turns into like a small boil, so it doesnt show from the outside but you can feel it when you push it and it hurts. I think its quite an oily place due to your hair always sitting against it (if you have long hair) so easily gets infected. I cant say for sure thats what it is as Im no doc, but if I was to have one appear now, I wouldnt bat an eyelid. x

sarahsparkleshine
27-04-15, 00:50
Do you have tmj?