PDA

View Full Version : Anxious at 53...

Gothamite
26-04-15, 16:06
Hi all
I recently took an early retirement/redundancy package and have been struggling with anxiety.
For two years since I have finished work I have become a bit withdrawn, scared, worried about all kinds of stuff (health, money, being alone even though I have a lovely and patient wife).
I decided to get back to work as I am only 53 years old but any thought of this fills me with dread. Anyway tomorrow (27th Apr) I am going to work as a volunteer at a local YMCA charity outlet, and I am scared that come tomorrow I will just not go. It all sounds silly as when I was working (I did over 33 years in a busy factory and never suffered too much as regards any feeling of anxiety) I was fine.
Basically I wondered how I will deal with this? I get a bit short of breath and a bit shakey as these situations arise.
As a bit of self diagnosis I am sure this job will do me good but I need to get this first day under my belt so to speak.
Any tips or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading

Carnation
26-04-15, 19:05
:welcome: Gothamite.

The main thing you have to remember is that nothing bad is going to happen, it is just the 'Anxiety' making you feel this way.
And the other is to remember that you do not have to do anything you don't feel happy or safe with.
If you feel a bit shaky or anxious, use the breathing exercises, focus on your surroundings and job and not yourself, keep the shoulders relaxed, count to ten and back, hum or sing to relax and to help your breathing and take a bottle of water with you as the Anxiety tends to dehydrate you and make you feel worse.

Good Luck :)

Gothamite
26-04-15, 19:16
@Carnation.
Thanks. Its really odd you mentioned the water, I called in at my local shop this morning and grabbed some teabags for the restroom as a goodwill gesture and I also picked up two bottles of water. I'm not sure why I thought I would need these. I don't normally drink bottled water (I'm very much old school on this, it still seems strange buying water...!) Anyhoo I reckon I'm prepared. I'm feeling a bit excited and anxious all at once, and also I really want to (and I know this sounds like a well worn cliche...) give something back by working for this charity.
If you don't mind I may post again after my short stint this week and report how I got on.
Thanks for the thoughtful advice.

Carnation
26-04-15, 19:20
You are welcome Gothamite.

I think it is a good idea and could be good for you.

I would be interested to hear how you get on. :)

Gee-SP
26-04-15, 20:10
All the best for tomorrow Gothamite, I'm sure it will all be fine :)

Gothamite
26-04-15, 20:16
@Gee-SP.
Cheers thanks to you too, I'm already feeling more positive after viewing some posts on this site.
Regards.

pulisa
26-04-15, 20:48
I wish you all the very best for tomorrow too. The anticipation is the worst bit!

aprilmoon
26-04-15, 20:56
From me too.I'm sure you'll do great :)

MyNameIsTerry
27-04-15, 05:10
All the best with it, its a good decision. There is less pressure in a voluntary role and many people trying to get back on their feet from illness or mental health issues do it so they will likely have some awareness.

If things are feeling a bit much, don't be afraid to talk to them and have a short break if needed or switch roles for a bit.

Gothamite
03-05-15, 19:32
Hi all,
Sorry it has been a few days since I posted.
First day did not go well. In fact I walked away after only an hour. I have spent the past few days feeling like a bit of a part. Its not good.
Yesterday I have tried to get right down to the nitty gritty of how I am feeling and basically I have come to the conclusion it may be down to existential angst.
Odd really given that one of the posters uses "The Scream" as their I'd pic!
Anyway I'm having a chill out and doing a bit of drawing and stuff (I always laughed at the Fast Show sketch of the amateur artist who went into pots of despair whenever he used black paint in his work,: now I get it...)
I have an appointment this week at a volunteer centre to try and get a better role for myself. I ain't giving up. Just confused about which reading matter would help re: existential angst. Heidegger or Kierkegaard?
Oh damn it. I'll just stick with Batman.
Seems a jolly chap...
Thanks all.

agnes
03-05-15, 20:52
My counsellor lent me a book by Irvin Yalom, which focused on the fear of dying, not exactly what you were posting about but it doesn't require too much concentration. Can't remember what is was called (duh!)

Gothamite
03-05-15, 20:59
Hi
Is it "Staring at the sun"?

agnes
03-05-15, 21:03
Yes that's it!

Gothamite
03-05-15, 21:10
I have been watching Misery Bear on YouTube. Some good some bad.

agnes
03-05-15, 21:12
No Death, No Fear by Thich Nhat Hanh gives a Buddhist perspective.

Mind you, the angst is still with me :)