PDA

View Full Version : Book - CBT for Dummies

jaffacake
22-01-07, 18:31
Just a short one - if you've yet to seek help for your social anxiety I strongly recommend CBT for Dummies.

I ordered it as a precursor to getting CBT and it's already done wonders for me. I've only confided in one person (apart from on here) about my anxiety and they seem pretty daunted by what I was saying.

But this book has been a great source of inspiration and has really helped me to challenge thoughts and hopefully start heading away from my pointless and ungrounded phobia. I'm not saying i'm totally 'cured' or don't suffer anxiety, but it's started to help clear up the minor panics I suffer and has unlocked my mind to the possibility of change where before there was only feelings of dread.

I suggest if you've yet to get help (or maybe even if you are) get on amazon and get CBT for Dummies. Maybe it won't help; but if you take time to relax and read it somewhere safe and quiet, I hope it helps you too

jaffacake

P.S. No, I do not work for Dummies! lol

Quirky
22-01-07, 22:49
Hi there,

I have this book and it's really good.

I don't have social phobia, I have health anxiety mostly but it's a good book for all sorts of anxiety really as many of the techniques can be used in any situation.

LJ

jo61
23-01-07, 08:43
I've been thinking of buying it for a while. I've got so many self books that I never look at though, I'm a bit reluctant to buy another to gather dust. Does it really stand out?

Jo x

HazyMind
23-01-07, 15:27
Thanks jaffacake, I have this book but haven't been motivated enough to read it.
It fell down the back of my bed a while ago so I will find it again and have a read!

I'm currently waiting for CBT so hopefully this will help some beforehand.

x

Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom.

belly
23-01-07, 18:28
hi jaffacake,i have the book too,and it is the best book ive ever bought! it really helps you to see things differently,as you say.Chapter two says about 'spotting errors in your thinking' ie things like 'fortune telling',ie xnxiety about the future,or thinking you know what other people think is great.I do that a lot,and im usually wrong...

jaffacake
24-01-07, 11:12
To be honest I haven't read any other anxiety/self-help books - the names and front covers are usually off-putting enough; probably why I chose the Dummies book as it is so easy to approach and read.

I totally agree with what you're saying - just reading chapter 2 made me start realising that I as doing all these things that weren't happening but in my mind I was fueling them!

I also feel that because the book is quite quirky and easy to dip in and out of it is a really useful resource to come back to.

It also covers some of the things that CBT will do - such as making ABC forms and so on. It's really insightful, i'd highly recommend it to anyone!

jaffacake ;)

Poco a Poco
05-02-07, 16:29
Hey, its all down to this thread that I ordered the book off of Amazon and started reading it this morning on the way to work.

I think I am only about 10 pages in and already its got me thinking, I am feeling positive that this can help me change the way I think and deal with my anxiety better.

So thanks for recommending! :D

Jo

jaffacake
10-02-07, 01:24
No worries Pocco,

I would say be mindful that there is probably a sudden uplifting feeling at first and although, for me anyway, this can settle down again the very fact that there is a moment of clarity is a good sign. I just have to find the time to get back to reading it when I have a chance now though!

Hope this finds you all well, good wishes upon you all,

Jaffa [^]

aarcal
16-02-07, 22:07
Hi think i might get this book, how does cbt work then, how do u get it, is it from your dr etc as i am due to see her on monday so will maybe ask for this if i can

Susie

230 days til we go to orlando!

HazyMind
16-02-07, 22:20
Ive started reading this book now, I bought it so long ago but just started reading it after reading this thread, feeling really ill at the moment so even though its a book for dummies it's taking all my brain power to get my head around it! lol [:I]

aarcal- CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy) works by changing your thoughts so you can learn to think in a more positive way so changing your behaviours etc.
Yes ask your doctor about cbt and they can refer you to a therapist!
Good Luck and enjoy Orlando :D

x

Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom.

freakle
19-02-07, 20:06
I've just ordered a copy off amazon :)

zoe x