PDA

View Full Version : Panic setting in - swollen below index finger

xfilme
26-04-15, 21:38
A few weeks back I was playing guitar and had to stretch four frets. After that I started developing and ache in the back of my hand. I have noticed the pad of flesh below the base of my index finger is a bit swollen. Not enough to be noticible, but enough to be uncomfortable. Its been like it for about 3 weeks. A month before that happened, I developed a dark freckle in the same area, near the crease at the base of my index finger. Ive had one appear before on the back of the same finger, and went to the doc to ask if I should be worried and she treated me like a crazy person and being irrational. At first I thought this new dark freckle was a splinter so i picked at it with a needle and it vanished, but within a week it came back. It has not grown. It is the size of the tip of a biro nib, so probably no more than 1mm. Its the fact its on the inside of my hand thats freaking me out. So as a health anxiety sufferer, my brain is now making every effort to connect the two things. Ive convinced myself its something nasty like skin cancer and now its causing my hand to swell, even though I know ive been to a doc before about a dark freckle and told if its under the size of the rubber you get on the end of a pencil, its nothing to be concerned about. And even though the swelling occurred very soon after doing a large stretch between frets on the guitar, my brain simply wont think rationally about it, and now Im obsessing over it and its dragging me down every day. I want to go and ask a doc, but I feel like an idiot asking them to look at a freckle, and if I tell them how the pain occurred theyll likely say its a strain, which is rational... but my brains not bying that logic. If I had another reason to go to the doc, I could just ask them in passing. But to book an appointment, its making me feel like im restarting the cycle of needing constant doctors assurance. Has anyone else had a similar muscular pain in their hand? Its below the base of the index finger on the inside of my hand, and on the outside of my hand about an inch down from my knuckle on my index finger. Ive also tried to look up info on this freckle, but im scared of finding scary information as google will always tell you the worst case scenario. Ive asked a few people and some have told me theyve had a random freckle on their palm, but I guess just until I can find a better reason to justify a visit to the doc, Im wondering if any can share any similar experience theyve had that might stop me being so unbelievable irrational and more accepting of the fact that yes, it could be something nasty, but it could also be something harmless. I will get it checked if it persists. But at the mo Im not giving it a chance to go away (the swelling) because i keep prodding it to see if i can figure out whats wrong with it. Its also equally possible that my HA is playing tricks on me and its not swollen at all. Any feedback at all?

Gary A
26-04-15, 21:58
Even if the freckle were something sinister, and it clearly isn't, it wouldn't cause a painful swelling without the freckle itself growing in size and changing in many noticeable ways. You've clearly strained a tendon or a muscle in your hand, it's just a coincidence it so happens to be in the hand you've got this freckle. A freckle that's 1mm in diameter that you've had for a while without any change is quite categorically NOT cancer.

xfilme
26-04-15, 22:19
Even if the freckle were something sinister, and it clearly isn't, it wouldn't cause a painful swelling without the freckle itself growing in size and changing in many noticeable ways. You've clearly strained a tendon or a muscle in your hand, it's just a coincidence it so happens to be in the hand you've got this freckle. A freckle that's 1mm in diameter that you've had for a while without any change is quite categorically NOT cancer.

Gary.... I love you! I shall sleep soundly tonight :)