PDA

View Full Version : A&E

lyndau63
26-04-15, 23:10
Hi,

I have been reading various threads in health anxiety and tried to help a few people if I know anything about their symptoms. Have not had a reply to my first thread after a couple of weeks so I am guessing that no-one else has experienced the problem. Am feeling a lot better at the moment but know it will not be long before another health issue freaks me out. I am wondering, having read about people going to A&E up to 4 times a week, what happens if you do this? Do they help and do tests straight away or just get annoyed because they are so busy?

Darwin73
26-04-15, 23:19
I used to work in A&E. I can tell you that people who turn up multiple times a week who have neither suffered an accident or emergency, blocking the system up for those who genuinely need a service already pushed to breaking point, would not be a priority. Yes, they make the staff very annoyed.

MyNameIsTerry
27-04-15, 07:00
Hi,

I have been reading various threads in health anxiety and tried to help a few people if I know anything about their symptoms. Have not had a reply to my first thread after a couple of weeks so I am guessing that no-one else has experienced the problem. Am feeling a lot better at the moment but know it will not be long before another health issue freaks me out. I am wondering, having read about people going to A&E up to 4 times a week, what happens if you do this? Do they help and do tests straight away or just get annoyed because they are so busy?

I just noticed you posted yout thread on Female Health Issues subboard of the Symptoms board. I know some of the boards on here don't get as much traffic e.g. the symptoms subboards, OCD, phobias, etc.

Maybe post another in here and I'm sure you will as there are more people on the HA & GAD boards on NMP.

---------- Post added at 07:00 ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 ----------

I used to work in A&E. I can tell you that people who turn up multiple times a week who have neither suffered an accident or emergency, blocking the system up for those who genuinely need a service already pushed to breaking point, would not be a priority. Yes, they make the staff very annoyed.

Thats a shame really, although I could understand it can cause frustration.

I think they would be more annoyed at the drunks & casual party drug users taking up their time, many of whom have enjoyed a free NHS "taxi" to A&E.

People with anxiety disorders, self harmers, schizophrenics with medication issues alcohols, substance abusers, etc, need help and they really don't want to be there anyway. So, I would hope the medical profession would understand this and not be annoyed since many of these issues are there because primary or secondary care isn't working for these people.

The same people cause a big tax drain beyond the NHS as do people from any mental health category. It costs a fortune in sick pay too. So, there is a bigger picture and I can be more forgiving of the ignorance of non medically trained staff who see people as an inconvenience but would hope for more than the NHS medical staff.

I'm sure GP's are the same though. I often think we are more numbers to them now where they run a very inflexible time slot style practice.

lyndau63
27-04-15, 11:07
Thank you both for your replies. I have never been to A&E with a panic attack but sometimes feel that if they knew how bad I feel they would want to help. I have already managed to get myself into a panic this morning about something under my arm so was a bit hast last night saying I was okay at the moment!!!:ohmy:

MyNameIsTerry
27-04-15, 11:12
Yes, they would.

People on here have mentioned talking to doctors & nurses who suffer from anxiety and their view is very different.

I was pretty critical of my fellow managers when they went off with stress. My view changed overnight when it happened to me and I felt quite ashamed for a while for thinking bad of them.

countrygirl
27-04-15, 11:27
I used to work at a Dr surgery and there was one male patient who obviously had bad health anxiety and I was the only member of staff who was nice to him. The other staff used to say awful things about him. This made me realise what was being said about me at my Drs surgery!!! I did tell them that he must have a mental health problem and he could not help it but they were dreadful about him. I of course then kept very very quiet about my health anxiety.

Wrong as it is, anyone who does not understand mental health will not be sympathetic and feel that mental health sufferers are wasting time.

All that will happen in A&E is the you will be put to the back of the queue to be seen, yes you will be the basic checks done but even for physical problems other tests often have to be arranged later even if you are being admitted to a ward unless they think its something life threatening.

Emilym80
27-04-15, 17:00
In Australia, we call it the ER, so I'm not sure if it's the same as A+E. However, Emergency here works using a triage system. You'll be assessed when you arrive and if they don't think there's anything major/life-threatening happening, you'll be made to wait while the other, higher-risk patients are seen to. My mum fell and hurt her leg quite badly last year and still had to wait a couple of hours to be seen, even though she was bleeding! Conversely, I had to go to the ER a couple of weeks ago and was sent through to a bed pretty much straight away as they suspected it could be serious (it wasn't and I won't go into details).

So, if you don't present with any symptoms that suggest a life-threatening condition, I can't imagine you'll be seen right away, unless it's not very busy. If you went with a concern that was not related to an emergency they mightn't run tests, but refer you on or write your GP. Again, I'm not experienced with their practices. And, yes, I would expect they'd be very frustrated with people that go in a few times a week.

Best :)

lyndau63
27-04-15, 18:19
Oh dear I seem to have lost the reply I was typing.
Thank you all for your replies. I do want to make it clear that I was NOT expecting that I would be seen straight away, only wondered whether I would be seen eventually and what sort of reception I would get. I often feel that the receptionists at the doctors' surgery are talking about me but my GP is brilliant so that's what matters. However she is only part -time and I have occasionally thought about going to A&E if I am feeling really bad. I know that I would probably have to wait and wait as I have been several times with very elderly people to take them with broken limbs, heart problems etc. Thank you Terry for your understanding. I certainly would not be there form choice as you say.

Emilym80
27-04-15, 23:10
Hi again,

I'm sure they would eventually see you- they can't just turn you away without addressing your concerns, as they have a duty of care over you.

Also I'm fairly certain the hospital would have a psychiatry department or at least one psychiatrist working for them so if you asked specifically for help regarding anxiety I'm sure they could assist you :)

lyndau63
27-04-15, 23:27
Thank you. I just wanted everyone to know that I would not expect to jump the queue and will probably never go...certainly not more than once in a blue moon. Darwin., I see from your previous posts that you have a phobia about doctors. I dare say you have come a long way since you first joined this site but you must have had health anxiety yourself but deal with it in a different way from me.

---------- Post added at 23:27 ---------- Previous post was at 23:14 ----------

I have read the thread about donations from your link today Terry and had donated last week but not sure how often I need to do it.

MyNameIsTerry
28-04-15, 04:40
Thats purely up to you, Lynda. Nic & Venus have mentioned it a few times on the thread as some peolpe have mentioned wanting to donate a couple of pound or even £5 per month but some people have given a one off of £1.

You don't have to donate, its just it would help them so if personal circumstances don't allow for it, they woudln't expect it. Many people with these disorders are struggling on benefits so I don't think they should have to feel guilty about it.

---------- Post added at 04:31 ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 ----------

In Australia, we call it the ER, so I'm not sure if it's the same as A+E. However, Emergency here works using a triage system. You'll be assessed when you arrive and if they don't think there's anything major/life-threatening happening, you'll be made to wait while the other, higher-risk patients are seen to. My mum fell and hurt her leg quite badly last year and still had to wait a couple of hours to be seen, even though she was bleeding! Conversely, I had to go to the ER a couple of weeks ago and was sent through to a bed pretty much straight away as they suspected it could be serious (it wasn't and I won't go into details).

So, if you don't present with any symptoms that suggest a life-threatening condition, I can't imagine you'll be seen right away, unless it's not very busy. If you went with a concern that was not related to an emergency they mightn't run tests, but refer you on or write your GP. Again, I'm not experienced with their practices. And, yes, I would expect they'd be very frustrated with people that go in a few times a week.

Best :)

Same over here, Emily.

They don't mind people bleeding in reception, I've sat there with a couple of inches of head gash years ago and they didn't even tell me about covering so I was just using my hanky, just take a seat. It would have been nice to have something out of my taxes to cover it while I sat there! I didn't have to wait too long as it wasn't busy but to be honest, I wasn't bothered about that anyway, I had all day.

I think they would be annoyed at time wasters in general. That can include many singular visits e.g. the old one of the kid with something stuck on his head, the ones with strange items inserted into places :blush:, and all the one off injuries due to stupidity...but thats kind of what we employ them for as well as the life threatening stuff.

I wonder what they think of smokers or the obese?

---------- Post added at 04:40 ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 ----------

I used to work at a Dr surgery and there was one male patient who obviously had bad health anxiety and I was the only member of staff who was nice to him. The other staff used to say awful things about him. This made me realise what was being said about me at my Drs surgery!!! I did tell them that he must have a mental health problem and he could not help it but they were dreadful about him. I of course then kept very very quiet about my health anxiety.

Wrong as it is, anyone who does not understand mental health will not be sympathetic and feel that mental health sufferers are wasting time.

All that will happen in A&E is the you will be put to the back of the queue to be seen, yes you will be the basic checks done but even for physical problems other tests often have to be arranged later even if you are being admitted to a ward unless they think its something life threatening.

I bet that helped him knowing you would be supportive.

I don't blame you for keeping quiet in that kind of environment. I think it shows some incite into the character flaws of the other staff. Ignorant only goes so far and then it becomes something worse.

At my practice there are several who are what we may think of as the old style doctor's receptionists but there are a couple of really nice ones too to balance the idiots out.

Davit
28-04-15, 04:59
It varies here, some nurses can't be bothered and God help you if it is coffee brake and others go the extra mile. But in an emergency they do drop everything and run. They just bitch a lot after. Sort of like any job I think.

Nurses get anxiety too, One nurse, 43 years old puked every time she got in an ambulance I rode with her a few times. Another got real hot as soon as the ambulance moved.

One doctor asked patients if they were Claustrophobic before closing the office door.

You get what you get.

MyNameIsTerry
28-04-15, 05:10
There have been nurses on here. I wonder how they feel about this issue around them at work?

Darwin73
29-04-15, 23:35
lyndau63, I still suffer very much from health anxiety, but sometimes find being on the forum feeds into it, if you see what I mean. I wish I could conquer my fear of going to the doctors - I currently have 2 types of anaemia and a thyroid condition that I'm too scared to get properly treated; how mad is that?:doh:

Terry, you are absolutely right, the drunks and drug users are a big drain on A&E (not to mention being abusive), but people with mental health issues are taken seriously. I have seen it all, even someone calling an ambulance for a broken fingernail! The things I was thinking of that annoy staff are when people with health anxiety turn up multiple times over the course of a short space of time, having already been reassured that they don't have a serious illness. They should be seeing their primary care provider to treat their underlying anxiety.

MyNameIsTerry
30-04-15, 04:31
Yeah, Darwin they really need to come up with some way to divert people back to their GP's without missing the potentially genuine cases. A tricky legal issue for them but if they want to save money, its possible.

Where they have been to A&E once already to be told there is nothing wrong, couldn't they just refer them to their GP? I always thought that if you turn up with something a GP should deal with, they send you home untreated?

Darwin73
30-04-15, 12:20
It's a few years since I worked there now, but every patient who was seen was categorised into one of 5 outcomes: discharge with no follow up; discharged into the care of their GP; admitted to a ward; transferred to another hospital or died. For every patient who provided GP details, a letter would have been sent to their GP informing them of the patient's reason for attendance and any treatment / advice they were given. I guess for most people, these letters would have been received by the GP surgery and filed by admin staff into patient records. However, if a patient was discharged into the care of their GP, then I guess the onus would be on the surgery staff to make sure GPs saw those letters. For people with HA and no other issues, they would be advised to see their GP regarding their anxiety, but it would not necessary be stipulated on the letter that a GP follow up was necessary; it would be down to the patient to make an appointment with their Dr.

lyndau63
30-04-15, 15:30
Hi,
I do see what you mean Darwin73. My friend did question whether it was wise for me to join in case it made me worse.

With regard to A&E, I have never been, and would only go if it was something different that cropped up at a weekend or long bank holiday, as it did in fact on Good Friday and I was really bad. I wouldn't go several times a week but was just interested that people had gone to A&E.

Hope you feel able to get your problems properly sorted. Would someone go with you? :unsure:

Darwin73
30-04-15, 17:31
My other half has offered to go with me (on numerous occasions!), but last time I went (2 years ago), I was freaked out by my blood results so didn't want to go back again. I wear glasses but haven't been to an opticians for 15 years and my glasses are so scratched I can see better without them. I'm scared they'll see something behind my eye. Same with dentist, though I did go a couple of months ago for that. To everyone else I am a very rational person who is quite capable of seeing things objectively, but in private my HA plagues me. CBT did help to some extent with some of my actual illness fears, but I guess my fear of doctors wasn't really addressed. Hope you manage to find some peace with yours too:)

lyndau63
30-04-15, 19:55
Thank you. I do feel so sorry for your situation. At least I can get some temporary peace when I see my GP who is so patient....not meant to be a pun.
I know what you mean about everyone else seeing you as a rational person. I don't think anyone but my closest friends and family would know what I am like. My daughter in law is brilliant at supporting me and a couple of my best friends are particularly good too. The good thing about this site is that you realise that you are not alone in this. I sometimes see myself as a total freak.

MyNameIsTerry
01-05-15, 05:28
I often wonder what GP's actually see and what their admin staff do.

When I was having CBT my therapist said she sent letters at intervals to my GP and he would have had 3-4 from her. He has never acknowledged this and even followed her advice so I don't believe he read them.

What I suspect may happen is that the receptionists update the computer system with a note from the letter. From working with computer systems like this for many years I can remember how businesses often use standard note remarks so its feasibly my records say "letter received xx/xx/xxxx from X about X". The detail may depend on the guidleines they have or what the GP's want from them.

I know my GP was checking my notes onscreen as he would be reading as I came in and would refer to them throughout.

I'm still only diagnosed as GAD when my therapist very quickly said OCD as well.

lyndau63
02-05-15, 14:38
I find some of the receptionists quite frustrating. Some are very kind but I think they talk about me behind my back ..from the knowing looks they give me when I walk in. We all do it. I was a teacher for 42 years and we had certain parents that we would all groan about. Some are power crazy and won't let you see a doctor. My doctor knows I have trouble getting past reception and she tells me to ask for a phone call and then, if I am desperate, she will make the appointment for me herself. I know I am very lucky because she will always see me but she only works 2 days a week usually so I panic when I know she is not there. I have a regular monthly appointment with her and try not to go in between but sometimes I have to.

MyNameIsTerry
03-05-15, 04:32
I know what you mean, some are like the security guard with the keys who thinks he runs the company. Some of mine are like this but some are also lovely.

Its sadly the old fashioned image of the doctor's receptionist. I can remember my mum having a few battles with them when she was taking me as a child, When you would go for an open surgery where any of their patients could walk in some of them would ask what was wrong and why you needed an appointment. My mum used to simply ask whether they were doctor's or able to make a diagnosis. This seemed to shut them up and get an appointment easily.

Its a strange relationship when a receptionist can block an appointment where a GP believes it is appropriate. In a normal working role you would be told off for that.

Its not just HA though, I've seen ot happen to people regardless and it has happened to me even before my anxiety as well as during. Its the people they employ that are the problem.

At my surgery I found out the receptionists re-issue the repeat prescriptions. Once they refused my asthma medication saying I didn't need it anymore. So, I had to explain how I was very surprised that my lifelong condition had been cured and how they even determined that without an examination. Then they wouldn't get me one and they wanted me to resubmit it due to their mistake which would have meant me running out by the time it came through. The attitude you get because they have to nip into see a GP inbetween appointments for what was their error which they never eevn apologised for.

I can remember a lady coming in while I was sitting waiting for an appointment who had the same problem except in her case she was taking Diazepam for some form of pain condition and they had just stopped it without seeing her. She had to kick off to get it sorted as they tried the same trick on her.

So, I'm cautious with my antipressants because I don't fancy risking withdrawal if they ever happened.

Having said that though there are a couple of really nice ones. One of them even got me an appointment straight away due to a cancellation when I said I was happy for wait a couple of weeks anyway.

Its true we all do it to some degree but I feel I have learned from my experiences with anxiety so am more open minded and less judgemental now. If I'm harsh on people, its because they are paid to do better and for me thats always people more senior as I know what its like fielding the angry customers for a company you just work at hence I cut them some slack.