PDA

View Full Version : scared of liver failure (or worse??)

Alice1
27-04-15, 08:45
My mum took me to a Tibetan herbal doctor in poland that she used and my auntie for many years and the lady looked at my tongue and felt my pulse then gave me some herbal pills. I'm meant to take three in the morning and three in the evening for a month.
I took the doses yesterday and this morning but I have no idea what's in them and the packages are just paper and I'm scared it'll be like the stories online where people take these pills and get kidney or liver failure and die.
There were lots of people there and my mum and auntie said they felt better and try and reassure me but I'm so worried and I want to take them and maybe feel better but I don't want them to kill me.

AlexandriaUK
27-04-15, 09:10
You don't say how old you are or why they took you to begin with, were you ill?
If you are frightened of there content you could always take them to your local herbalists here in UK and ask the question.
I am the same I would have to know what was in them, nothing to do with anxiety just I like to know whats going in my body, I cant imagine that your Mum would condone you taking anything that would harm you though.

Alice1
27-04-15, 09:21
I'm 19 and i have been feeling ill for about 14 months.
I don't doubt it, but people who take these things or give them rarely intend to die or kill someone, I just think perhaps out of ignorance or even my body just rejecting it the pills I have already taken are killing me. I feel very very hot and a little nauseous and am worrying liver failure.is starting. When do I stop worrying that these pills are going to kill me, even if I stop taking them?

MyNameIsTerry
27-04-15, 09:27
I can remember using some herbal pills from a Chinese medical centre once and nothing really came of it but I wasn't on medication back then. If you are on any medication that I would advise you to find out what they are and check them on Drugs.com's interaction checker to be sure.

If they were likely to interact or cause an allergic reaction, I would imagine you would know about it (well certainly for the allergic reaction part, less so for the interaction as that may be less of an immediate effect).

Like Alexandria, I doubt you mum would put you at any risk but if you are on any medication, your mum & auntie (and that herbal doctor) won't be qualified to assess against interactions with things like antidepressants.

I think the rest is the anxiety kicking in. Herbal remedies can be found all over the place and by herbal, you can include all the supermarkets who sell them on their shelves. However, you still have to be careful when you are on things like antidepressants e.g. St. John's Wort can interact, Gingko Biloba can interact. So, those pills are likely to be a combination of various herbal elements, maybe some minerals, etc but that could mean they are quite safe.

Only a professional can ever say on that score and they would need to test them first.

The heat & nausea could be anxiety or it could be due to herbal ingredients if they are stimulating. Some herbs can make you hotter or cause a thermogenic effect but that includes the many sold over the counter or on websites in the UK too. If you tried some of the stronger fat loss formulas the bodybuilding set use (e.g. the shellfish ones) you could find yourself a bit hyper for a while. (Don't worry, these won't be in yours, its just an example of ones I've used in the past and I was fine, just a bit hyper for a few hours)

Alice1
27-04-15, 14:59
I can remember using some herbal pills from a Chinese medical centre once and nothing really came of it but I wasn't on medication back then. If you are on any medication that I would advise you to find out what they are and check them on Drugs.com's interaction checker to be sure.

If they were likely to interact or cause an allergic reaction, I would imagine you would know about it (well certainly for the allergic reaction part, less so for the interaction as that may be less of an immediate effect).

Like Alexandria, I doubt you mum would put you at any risk but if you are on any medication, your mum & auntie (and that herbal doctor) won't be qualified to assess against interactions with things like antidepressants.

I think the rest is the anxiety kicking in. Herbal remedies can be found all over the place and by herbal, you can include all the supermarkets who sell them on their shelves. However, you still have to be careful when you are on things like antidepressants e.g. St. John's Wort can interact, Gingko Biloba can interact. So, those pills are likely to be a combination of various herbal elements, maybe some minerals, etc but that could mean they are quite safe.

Only a professional can ever say on that score and they would need to test them first.

The heat & nausea could be anxiety or it could be due to herbal ingredients if they are stimulating. Some herbs can make you hotter or cause a thermogenic effect but that includes the many sold over the counter or on websites in the UK too. If you tried some of the stronger fat loss formulas the bodybuilding set use (e.g. the shellfish ones) you could find yourself a bit hyper for a while. (Don't worry, these won't be in yours, its just an example of ones I've used in the past and I was fine, just a bit hyper for a few hours)

The lady we saw apparently also is a trained cardiologist so we asked her about the lansoprazole course I am taking and she said it is fine and that I can continue to take them, but I am reluctant too anyway.
I feel better now, apart from the other symptoms I always have and so think you are right about the thermogenic effect.

I.really want to take them if they will help so my mum says she will write to the lady for me and ask for a full list of ingredients, which is really kind.

Thank you so much for your reply.

MyNameIsTerry
28-04-15, 05:20
There is the issue of different medical training but cardiologists are top of the game so you would expect her to be quite careful. So, that sounds very reassuring.

I think your mum has done the right thing, we have to be careful what we take.