PDA

View Full Version : Back pain and breathing

shan
27-04-15, 15:30
Hiii,

I woke up this morning with my back hurting in bed and as a result when I take a deep breath it hurts my back - of course, this has lead to me fearing the worst, thinking it's pneumonia or something crazy. Mum said it's probably just because I slept funny, and as I'm alone at university with no registered doctor I've been debating all day whether to go off to an urgent care centre or not.

Anyone else ever had this before?

GingerFish
27-04-15, 16:11
I've had this before and ended up getting an emergency appointment with my GP because of it. I went to bed fine and woke up with this stabbing pain in my back, between my shoulder blades that got worse when I took deep breaths. They diagnosed it as a pulled back muscle and also from clenching and tensing my back and shoulders when I am awake due to stress and anxiety.

I have had pneumonia before and when I had it, I didn't get any back pain, it was just chest pain and I couldn't breathe, well that is what it felt like. I ended up cracking 2 ribs from excessive coughing. I ended up thinking I had blood clot in my lung when I saw my GP for my back pain but I should have known it was just anxiety related.

meche
27-04-15, 16:39
I get this alot when my upper body is tense & it's so much worse in the moring. When I breathe in it feels like my lungs are sore but it's actually the muscles in that area... I especially feel it more in my right shoulder & upper back. It's really uncomfortable so I sympathise hugely. Learn to relax your body a bit more. I swear by night-time relaxation recordings - they've helped me hugely. xx