PDA

View Full Version : Is Anxiety more prevelant in Cities and big Towns?

Carnation
27-04-15, 22:21
Does the location of where you live have a link with Anxiety?
Returning from Holiday, almost Anxiety free, I wondered if it has something to do with a particular environment?
I live in a big Town, have worked in the City, overcrowded and constantly busy.
I would be interested to hear from other members on their locations and whether Anxiety is less likely to occur in the Countryside or by the Sea, as opposed to the City or Town. :shrug:

MRS STRESS ED
27-04-15, 23:07
I would agree with you to a degree. I live in a very busy place everything is going so fast life work people ,when I go away although I have anxiety because I am away from home it is a lot better ,but there are times I REALLY REALLY need to be at home because home is safe so I am not so sure :D

Davit
28-04-15, 04:43
Depends on whether you see it. I live in about the quietest place you can get. No neighbours to speak of. No noise. It is certainly better than in town. Big thing for me is there are no barking dogs. No loud music and no people roaring up the street on a week end. My brother lives In Calgary, 3,000,000 people, I could visit but not live there. For me I can not get used to the noise.

Tordeus
28-04-15, 05:09
I'm weird, I freak out more when it's quiet and there's no noise around. I guess I got used to it growing up. It's worse when I'm just alone with my brain in silence.

MyNameIsTerry
28-04-15, 06:17
I tend to go with city/town as its so busy, crowded and in some everybody is on top of you all the time.

I think work places a major factor too and its more rat race potential away from rurual areas. Different pressures for some, but the oftren slower life in rural areas seems more relaxing to me (unless you live in Emmerdale in which case you would live in constant fear of your life! :winks::D and imagine living in Midsummer Mallow! That village does actually exist under a different name )

* for non UK members. Emmerdale is a village in a soap where typical criminal stuff, backstabbing & double-dealing are always on the go. Midsummer Mallow is the name of the village in Midsummer Murders, a crime drame, you can guess what goes on in each episode of that one for yourselves! :D

Sunflower2
28-04-15, 17:53
I've lived in the country all my life and it hasn't had any affect whether or not I developed anxiety. I also get very anxious driving alone in the middle of nowhere sometimes. Saying that, the thought of living in a busy area of England makes me feel panicky just thinking about it!

I think it's more that your mind associates it's surroundings with previous anxious experiences, so when you change scenery your mind doesn't automatically go to anxiety.

Davit
28-04-15, 18:08
When I go to the city I have to use memory to remember what I'm supposed to be doing. Along with that memory comes things that could go wrong. That is just survival. People get used to it. No different than having bears in my back yard. For me the noise would bother me. (bears don't make noise) Mood has a lot to do with it, I can enjoy the rush if I'm in a good mood, but it always gives me a head ache.
Routine does reduce stress but I can't see being stuck in traffic a routine that would work.

MyNameIsTerry
29-04-15, 04:36
Its bound to be worse for people from rural areas when they go into much busier towns & cities. I think thats the case for non anxiety sufferers so its just that it hits you more.

For me now, I can't see being rural would help either because the issue is within me and without trigger events or environment, I can be doing the same thing day in day out and it still hits me.