PDA

View Full Version : When should GP send me for tests for reflux?

Hypo
28-04-15, 12:28
I have had acid reflux for almost two weeks now. Went to the GP last Thursday and he gave me some meds. They work well, but when they wear off I know the acid reflux is still there.

The GP just asked for my symptoms but didn't examine me and just sent me on my way with the meds.

When should I go back and ask for investigations? I really really don't want them but I know it can be a sign of cancer or lead to cancer.

countrygirl
28-04-15, 14:18
Usually you can take a 6-8 week course of medication for reflux but if you need to stay on it long term then they should send you for gastrocsopy to confirm that its reflux causing your problem and nothing else.

They are not going to send you for a scope without you needing long term medication as alot of people find that after a course of tablets it settles down so they have to try this first.

Have look at your diet as its often a new food or drink that can trigger reflux

Hypo
28-04-15, 15:48
Thank you, that is really good to know :)

It could be related to antibiotics I was taking for acne my GP said. But I came off them a week ago and the reflux is still there.

My anxiety has actually been really low for me and I have only been to the GP once in 6 months (just for the reflux) but I didn't want to leave it for too long or ask for tests too soon.

Davit
28-04-15, 18:24
As long as you don't have pain in the back below your ribs it will probably go away.
I'm on ranitadine twice a day for the rest of my life because I produce too much acid. 6 weeks is the usual run if it is caused by an ulcer.

Hypo
29-04-15, 21:28
No no pain in my ribs, just a feeling like I need to burp all the time and it is stuck and mucus stuck in back of throat.

The tablets helped today but they have worn off now. I perhaps need to take two a day of my GP lets me?

Serenity1990
30-04-15, 16:27
Reflux is not a sign of cancer that I've ever heard. It can increase the probability of oesophageal cancer but only by an infinitesimally small number. You probably do hundreds of other things every day that increase your probability of cancer by a far greater number, and even so you still probably won't ever get it.

It's a very common anxiety symptom. It is also a product of our very unnatural Western diets, hence why such a staggeringly high percentage of the population have reflux. As such (assuming it's not caused by a hiatus hernia, which it almost certainly won't be), the most effective treatment is working on your anxiety and improving your diet.