PDA

View Full Version : Finger tip lines? Scared

Lilly13
28-04-15, 15:17
Hey guys,

this is going to sound ridiculous but as you all know from previous posts i have a fear of developing ALS.

my right hand feels weaker than my left and tends to get more sore. My pinky on my left hand is smaller than my left ( but it has always been this way.) Therefore my fear is centered on my right hand, yesterday I noticed that my ring and pinky fingers on my right hand both have little lines in the finger pad, but the left hand does not have these lines to the same extent. It is really freaking me out, does anyone else have this? Could it be atrophy, I can't seem to find anything about finger tip atrophy but I did read some things on an ALS blog which I wish I could forget. I wake up sometimes and my right hand is EXTREMELY stiff :( I'm so sick of worrying. This fear is ruining my life.

Thanks for your help,

Lilly :flowers:

Emilym80
30-04-15, 02:24
Yes, I have this on a few of my fingers. So unless both our fingers are coincidentally in atrophy at the same time (how likely do you reckon that is?), I'd say they're benign.

They may even go away on their own. I'd never noticed mine before so I'm unsure as to whether or not they come and go or I've had them and not realised but, like I said, I'm sure it's nothing sinister.

Best :)

---------- Post added at 01:24 ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 ----------

Update: APPARENTLY they are a sign of stress/excess adrenaline, etc. Seems pretty odd to me and I'm not sure whether or not to believe that; but it certainly makes sense, don't you think? :)

Lilly13
30-04-15, 13:25
I read that too, how very interesting haha :winks:

Enoughalready!
30-04-15, 13:39
I have them, too. ��

Lilly13
30-04-15, 16:07
Very good to know, for the record "enough already" I have not been able to find anything about ALS finger atrophy,..., aside from on some ALS blog... but not too much of a concern. I also found a picture in which I am holding something with my right hand and I can see the lines... this is from last summer. So hopefully nothing sinister!

Emilym80
01-05-15, 03:56
Well, it couldn't have been muscular atrophy of the fingers/fingertips, because they don't contain major muscles :ohmy: they're made of tendons and... flesh? I guess. So fingertip atrophy doesn't occur in ALS.

Enoughalready!
01-05-15, 09:03
I have been bad and googled it and haven't come across anything really sinister. (I do love it when that happens!) It -may- be related to thyroid disorder, which is something I'm waiting on lab results for anyway. I'll let you know.
It could just be aging. Yuck.

Emilym80
01-05-15, 12:35
Hi there,

It could be age-related, but I'm 19, so I doubt it somewhat. I'll have a look at my mum's hands and see if she has them too.

Lilly13
01-05-15, 13:12
Sorry to say but i'm glad some other people have them, that makes me feel much better! :)
My boyfriend doesn't have them, his finger tips are tight and perfect looking (I can never rely on him to have the same bodily issues as me hahah) They are odd, I am thinking it may be the excess adrenaline thing (we do all have one thing in common and that is excess adrenaline = anxiety)

anthrokid
02-05-15, 00:16
What do you mean by lines on your fingertip pads. Are you talking about your fingerprints, or lines going up your fingers?

Emilym80
02-05-15, 00:53
Arthrokid,

For me, they're little horizontal lines crossing through my fingerprint.

popejoan
02-05-15, 02:04
Imagine super old women hands, they get like that, but before that, fingers curl up and they get so stiff that it gets too hard to stretch the fingers.

anthrokid
02-05-15, 06:45
Oh, I see what you mean, thanks for the clarification :) I've always had some of those. Just thought it was a normal thing.

23tana
02-05-15, 06:52
I have them too. They are worse at times than others. I think they are probably connected to being dehydrated. We should all drink at least 2L water a day, but I know I don't.

Lilly13
02-05-15, 13:51
Mine are vertical lines running through my finger print... they look deeper than normal wrinkles... AHH... Joan, what are you speaking of ?

Emilym80
02-05-15, 15:26
Lilly! Your fingertips can't atrophy, as they contain no muscle!

It's impossible that this is a sign of ALS. We have it too- please remember that :)

Lilly13
02-05-15, 15:30
Thanks Emily, Deep breathes... this is a hard week:weep:

I just keep finding new things to obsess about, thank God I am done Uni until next September... there is not way I could concentrate.

Lilly13
16-05-15, 22:24
Does anyone else have vertical lines running through their fingertips. This is kinda freaking me out !

Lilly13
19-05-15, 18:50
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rachelcreative/5495289274

This is what my fingers look like to a lesser degree, and only on my right hand can anyone relate?

Trueman
19-05-15, 19:22
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rachelcreative/5495289274

This is what my fingers look like to a lesser degree, and only on my right hand can anyone relate?

I think most people have them. I have! Normal don't worry.

jskate81
11-12-15, 03:18
I have them too...I just noticed them after reading an article about the little known signs of adrenal fatigue. You mentioned excess adrenaline. Anxiety is a well known factor in adrenal issues (I have that too!) Do a little research into adrenal fatigue, there are several quizzes online. I also have weakness in my left hand, and sometimes wake up with one or both hands feeling like they are "asleep". I can't help but feel it's all related somehow. Best of luck to you, sending happy and calming thoughts your way!