PDA

View Full Version : It's all happening at once - Deficiency? Advice

Sam123
29-04-15, 13:01
Apologies in advance for the lengthy post!

I'm on the road to recovery, however the last few days have been quite hard. I feel like my health anxiety is creeping back with a bang.

I've been having a lot of symptoms and not been too well, i was handling it ok at first being very level headed and logical! Now i am going back to the usually routine of fearing cancer or something very serious.

It's just over 5 weeks now until i go on my first holiday in years! I'm so excited but also so nervous, trying hard not to fixate on what 'may go wrong' and concentrate on the positives, i will be on a beautiful peaceful beach and have 11 days of well deserved relaxation!

Here's a few things concerning me and i'm wanting to know if this could be due to a deficiency or not, here goes

I've been having the odd feeling of dizziness, and some strange sensations like tingling, numbness in the back of my head, face and feet.

I've become very itchy everywhere, not caused my any external factor from what i can think of.

My tongue has become very sore, it hurts to move it around just a little and the tastebuds are red and swollen. No sore throat or other symptoms, although my glands in my neck were swollen about a week ago.

My mood has decreased in the last few days, feeling more tired and weak than usual and having the occasional headache.

I hardly ever eat meat, not a vegetarian it's just not an ingredient in my meals! These are the foods i eat most often through the week

Veg - Broccoli, Sweet potato, Carrot, Onion, Garlic
Eggs
Pasta
Bread
Banana's

Do i need to consume meat or something to have a balanced diet? I have red meat say once every 5 weeks.

I'm trying to concentrate on something that i can change as opposed to things beyond my control lol! Any advice is appreciated - i'm going for a quick bath hope to hear from somebody when i'm back :yesyes:

Ange1
29-04-15, 14:37
Hi Sam a lot of what you describe does sound like anxiety symptoms. I get the dizziness and numbness which for me I know is definitely anxiety.
The foods the eat look fine if a little limited so I doubt there is deficiency although I see possibly limited vitamin C. Easy to add a bit a fruit and more salad stuff.
One thing could be the amount of wheat products you eat. I don't know your quantities or how often but lots of bread and pasta could make you sensitive. You could try some of the very many alternatives around now that are non wheat based products to see if that helps. I wouldn't start messing about with your diet too much just tweak it a little. Maybe have rice or noodles instead of pasta now and again and add some oily fish once a week. :) x

silver_shoes
29-04-15, 15:00
Have you been checked for vitamin D deficiency? I have had a number of symptoms for a couple of years now, and only just found out that I am severely deficient! Go see your GP and ask for the blood test.

Davit
29-04-15, 17:23
How about spinach for iron since there is no meat. Meat is the only food with all eight essential amino acids. More beans. Chilli? Bran has iron. Bran muffin instead of bread.
Only one banana a day, they have too much sugar. Apple is better.

NO dairy? Where is your calcium. Eggs should be with a carbohydrate, toast will do. D3 is needed to absorb calcium, calcium and magnesium together if you take supplements.

Sam123
29-04-15, 17:32
I should eat more spinach i just find it so boring.. but i will increase that.

I think i was last checked about 2 years ago, GP said iron deficiency anemia and to take supplements but i never did :doh:

I make a lot of soups and probably have more Vitamin A than anything else, Butternut squash, Sweet Potato and carrots are my favourite. I'm going to try and mix it up a little, i've got in to a routine with my meals i suppose and lord knows i hate anything that changes my routine :)

Thanks for the advice