PDA

View Full Version : Think I've got tetanus, scared

dlou84
03-05-15, 18:32
Did the garden, got dirt under my fingernail - fingernail then got impacted and pierced the skin (didn't realise) then went to bed leaving the fingers dirty (tut tut) woke up to puss coming out the finger, cut the nail out and cleaned it.

Scared of got tetanus, had lots of aches and pains (probably from the ten hour day gardening non stop)

Had my last shot 7 and a bit years ago and was told that because its got dirt in and over 5 years I need a booster but can't get to a GP until tues, which will mean 5 days without any treatment, also a bit scared of A&E lol

JustJoe25
03-05-15, 21:33
I think you are fine, I've had the same scare a few months back despite getting my shot last July which I was glad I did! If your insurance covers the ER you could always go there and get it done. I'm sure you are fine though just keep the wound clean.

countrygirl
03-05-15, 21:35
Tetanus can take weeks to show any symptoms ( I actually know someone who survived it!) so whatever you are feeling now is not this.
When my husband got a thorn in his thumb whilst gardening in soil we went to the minor accident clinic at our local hospital as he had not had a tetanus since he was a child and they gave him the vaccine for future protection and another injection for the immediate risk. They were quite happy to do this because he had been injured in soil.

Is this something you can do?

Also it does sound like you have an infection in the finger end so again medical treatment will help enormously

Please don't leave it till a gp appt as if there is infection it could really get a hold. If you can't go to A&E then try and see even a nurse at your GP's surgery. If you tell them how the injury occured and the pus they will see you same day.