PDA

View Full Version : Are There Any Pregnant Ladies Out There

Wilburis
23-01-07, 23:17
HI

Just wondered if there are any pregnant ladies out there.

I suffer from PAs and severe anxiety and I am 9 weeks pregnant.

Doc wont give me meds.

I wondered how other people cope with all of this.

Thankx - liz xx

Nick1981
24-01-07, 12:54
Hi Liz
Firstly Congratualtions :D
Being of the Male species i cant comment on being pregnant but along the way i have found many things that have helped me cope other than meds.
I am a stong believer that i am the cause of my panic regardless of the trigger, and therefore, am altamately in control. Once you start to believe you are in control and nothing else is wrong you should begin to feel better.
I began by forcing my panic attacks to be as bad as possible, willing them to get worse to prove i could control them. Then when im not having an attack i will try and bring one on, this eliminated the fear of having a panic attack. Its like saying 'bring it on, im not scared of you!!' once the fear of the attack is gone, PA itself has nothing to feed on.
I also paied for NLP and hypnotherapy with helped.

Im sure you will be able to take loads of good advice away from this forum which will be of help to you.
Nick

"It does get better"

claireypoo
24-01-07, 13:47
Hi Liz
I'm not pregnant but have been avoiding getting pregnant (For me being pregnant is medically risky anyway as I have negative blood which has developed antibodies - long story) but i would love more children and I'm sure I would have tried despite the risks if it wasn't for the anx. And to be honest I am thinking i might try this year anyway! I just want to wish you all the best with it. And if you ever need reasurance with anx symptoms I'll do what i can to help or just listen!
Much hugs to you
Claireypoos

Lizzie1975
24-01-07, 17:10
Hi Lizzie,

I empathise with you greatly, think you're v brave and where i would like to get to. I'm having an AD changeover at the moment as I'd like another child but suffer with severe depression, anxiety and panic attacks and the new AD is a safer one in pregnancy.

I worry greatly how i'd cope without Diazepam and sleeping tabs if i were pregnant but hopefully this new AD will help somewhat with that too. Are you on no medication? I know all round it's better to be on no medication in pregnancy but for me this isn't really an option.

Think you're v v brave and hope to be as brave someday soon.

Good luck,

Lizzie XXX

Caramel
27-01-07, 09:22
Hi Lizzie,

I would love to get pregnant (the old biological clock is ticking fast now!!) I went to the dr and she wanted me to change my meds, and that's when everything went bananas![8)]

So I'm now back on the old meds again and don't know what to do now. It's a vicious circle isn't it?![Sigh...]

I envy you - you're a lucky lady and I sincerely wish you all the luck in the world[^]

Caramelxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wilburis
27-01-07, 13:05
Thanks to all for replying.

Caramel and Lizzie1975, I wondered what meds are you both on?

Since the beginning of this week, Ive really gone down hill. I keep on getting a fainting feeling aswell as my heart feels like it stops and then bangs back into life again. It scares the life out of me.

My GP has given me Imipromine, but Im too scared to take it. I really dont know what to do. I dont want to take meds but I dont think I can carry on like this?!!

What do you think?

Take care - Liz xx

Lizzie1975
27-01-07, 18:19
Hi Liz.

I've changed to Amitriptyline - if you look it up with pregnancy on the net it says it's not advisable but it says that about any drugs in pregnancy, my psychiatrist assures me that i'd be closely monitered and it's best to be on a lower dose and stop it (if possible) in the last trimester.

I think you just have to go by the advise of your GP/psychiatrist, it's really weighing up the risks to the baby and the to the risks to the mother if she can't cope without medication.

I can't advise you really so sorry to not be much help, the only advice really is to follow what the professionals say.

Good luck

Lizzie XX

Wilburis
27-01-07, 19:06
Hi Liz

Thanks for replying.

I think what you are taking is pretty similar to my meds, as they are both tricyclic antidepressants (TCA).

How long will you stay on the meds when you become pregnant?

Do all articles say that meds are not to be taken during pregnancy, its just Ive been searching on the Internet and have really freaked myself out. [:P]

Im finding that anything starts off my panics, such as a telephone call on Sunday night as my mums cat had to go to the vets and was really quite porrly. This has knocked me back and Ive been really feeling panicky and ill all week, as well as having "all day sickness"!!

Tonight, my daughter has decided to get a temperature, so Im constantly checking her skin for purple rashes. This is making me go completely cuckoo.

Anyway, how long did it take for your new meds to kick in? Are you still taking Diazepam? If so, what sort of strength are they?

Sorry to ask so many questions. I really appreciate you getting back to me so quickly!!!

Hope you have a good evening - Take care - Liz xx

Lizzie1975
27-01-07, 19:52
Hi Liz,

No problem, yes have gone from one tricyclic to another and i am taking diazepam 4mgs when i need for the next week or two but remember i'm not pregnant yet. I know Diazepam is not one to be taken in pregnancy - mores the pity!

Don't investigate things on the net - always a receipe for disaster! I'm forcing myself not to read ANY of the side effects of my new AD's cos i know if i read them, i'll get them all!!

Listen, you are doing amazingly, i'm not pregnant yet cause i couldn't cope with it, you ARE pregnant and you ARE coping even though it's a real struggle.

You'll get through this Liz and you have all my sympathies - you're one brave lady - you can do this!!!

Lizzie XX