PDA

View Full Version : Bruising.

KeeKee
04-05-15, 18:43
Lately I've been a little worried about the amount of bruises I am getting.
I did mention them at my latest GP appointment and was told it's tricky when it comes to bruises. I was told I am probably knocking them and the one I could show looked like a regular.bruise. I was also told usually, if bruises are anything to worry about, they'd be in strange places such as the upper back.
I nearly always get them on my legs with the odd one on my arms. Never noticed them anywhere else.
What worries me is.the fact that I get a new one.over few days. They tend to heal the same ad any bruise would, the difference is I am definitely not knocking myself. I do have.itchy legs (but not arms) and have done so for about 4 years now (ever since using a cheap clothes.detergent) but I don't believe they are all caused by that.
I know.you can get bruises easily from leaning on a hard chair or something and even leaning on your hands, but how would I know to ignore my bruises or worry about them? I currently have 3 on my right leg and 5 on my left, one is on my calf which freaks me out. My family tend to bruise easily, but that doesn't tend to settle my mind.

Sam123
04-05-15, 18:48
Hi,

I always get bruises on my legs and have no idea where they come from. I've been where you are and used to worry a lot. It may sound silly but some people do bruise a lot easier, so it may not be anything you've noticed doing that hurt you.

The legs is a common place i think. It's definitely not unusual and if your Doctor has saw a bruise and is also not concerned i a sure there's nothing to worry about.

I'm not 100% but i think a Vitamin C deficiency may make someone more prone to bruising? That would have to be verified.

KeeKee
04-05-15, 18:51
Yeah I have read that too on another post about bruising. I eat fruit and veg though so would be shocked.if I did have a deficiency. I suppose I may be underestimatin my intake as I eat more veg than fruit.
Thanks for your speedy reply

Sam123
04-05-15, 18:53
Hmmm yeah i'm like that too i prefer veg to fruit. I know Broccoli is a great source of vitamin C.

KeeKee
04-05-15, 19:09
Ahh my fave veg.
I might just mention it again at my next appointment, I need a prescription soon anyway. I may specifically mention my fears (leukaemia) and hopefully he'll reassurance me.

Sam123
04-05-15, 19:09
Yes i think that's the best idea just letting them know straight up what it is you fear. They will be able to reassure you and explain why you don't have this.

KeeKee
04-05-15, 19:10
I hope so :-)
Thank you.

KeeKee
06-05-15, 13:42
I have a new bruise today on my arm. I definitely do not recall knocking it. If I put it out of my mind I can stop worrying. But what if I ignore it and its something sinister?

Gary A
06-05-15, 14:22
Well then don't ignore it. See your doctor and do as you've said above, tell them your concern. This will allow them to either reassure you or carry out specific tests to rule your concern out. As also mentioned above, certain vitamin deficiencies can cause bruising, so it's probably worth a visit to your GP for routine blood tests.

It's highly unlikely to be leukaemia, but you're only going to worry more if you're prone to bruising but still having that nagging doubt.

KeeKee
06-05-15, 14:28
Thanks for your reply. I was only there a fortnight ago though and feel like a pest going too often (which I do anyway). I need a prescription in a fortnights time so was hoping to mention it then. In the mean time I don't know how to curb my fears.

KeeKee
07-05-15, 11:10
I have an appointment for next week.
This morning when flossing, my gums bled quite a bit. I usually floss on an evening and to be honest my .gums always feel tender on a morning so I'm hoping it's that. Really freaking out though.

---------- Post added at 11:10 ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 ----------

Also another strange thing, I'm getting random bruises as mentioned, but the odd time when I knock myself I don't get a bruise. I was secretly hoping I'm anemic but read somewhere that bruises aren't actually a sign of anaemia.

Emilym80
07-05-15, 15:36
Hi there,

For what it's worth, people tend to bruise much more easily on their legs than elsewhere. I feel like I can brush my leg against a hard surface and bruise it, but whack my arm on a bench and not mark at all! Strange.

Take care :)

KeeKee
07-05-15, 17:34
Thanks for your reply. I do have one on my arm at the minute, I do not recall banging it, but at least I have an appoiment next week and then can hopefully put my leukemia worries to bed

Davit
07-05-15, 23:32
So is it bruising or haematomas Those prone to haematomas can get them just from pressure.

Emilym80
08-05-15, 00:19
I forgot to mention that my mum is like that too, she gets bruises all over quite often (not literally covered but anywhere on her body) and can't remember where she got a lot of them.