PDA

View Full Version : petrified

danna17
14-10-03, 23:42
I had anxiety attacks years ago and now I fera they are coming back....I avoid situations...always make someone come with me everywhere although I do not let them in on why...I just let them believe that I enjoy their company...which I do...I have the same thing as I see lucky does...I think I am going to suddenly get an allergy to food...I panic if I get one hive anywhere on my body...i think I cann't breathe..I do not want to have to rely on medication and when I am well rested I think to myself...maybe I need to be on it and I will ot be ashamed...but then I will not take it cause I will think that I will have an allergic reaction to it or it will alter me beyond my usual self...I can't win...do I have to be like this forever...i am too embarrassed to tell my familyor anyone

danna17
14-10-03, 23:45
danna@unitz.ca....if anyone has anything that works...please tell me...thank you so much

dgonza9
15-10-03, 03:09
I have panic attacks as well, on and off for years. The first rule of this is apparently NO AVOIDANCE.

The more you avoid situations that may panic you, the more you will ingrain yourself to be controled by panic. I saw many psychiatrists and underwent treatment for a few years before someone finally tolf me this, rather matter of factly, actually. But she was totally right.

You can't run away, anyway. But if you avoid the attacks you will condition yourself to let them control you. Ultimately, panic is supposedly about control.

I wish you the best of luck and I know how you feel. But you will make more progress without avoidance.

Laurie28
15-10-03, 08:16
Danna,

You sound exactly like me. Please go to your doctor. I was given anti depressants and I too can't take them because of fear of allergy. Your doctor will have seen this before (this is surprisingly common) the doctor may suggest a support group or therapy. Avoidance is a big issue with me as well but dgonza9 is right it only makes things worse.
Please get help as I think having someone to support you will make a huge difference

I know this is very difficult and I'll be thinking of you

All the best
Lucky

danna17
15-10-03, 12:08
thank you...i am readin this avoiding going to school right now...scared i will be stuck there..

danna17
15-10-03, 13:11
I did not go to school and I know better than this...I have a cough and went to the doctor last night, he said I have to go for a chest x-ray..although everything sounded fine....now I am thinking I have lung cancer or something

Laurie28
15-10-03, 13:44
danna17,

Hope ure chest x-ray goes ok. Did you mention to your doctor about your anxiety??

Lucky

danna17
15-10-03, 18:47
it was a clinic...but my dr knows from the past..there is still something else physical mixed with anxiety tho...my dr is going on holidays for a week...

nomorepanic
15-10-03, 19:15
Danna

Do you have this cold/cough that is going around. I just found out last night that I have cracked a rib through coughing so much. That may be what you have?

Don't give up on doing anything with the panic - just take little steps at a time, praise yourself each time you acheive anything - and you will get there.

Nicola

Meg
16-10-03, 23:46
Hi Danna,

As you yourself say you think all these things are going to befall you..

'I think I am going to suddenly get an allergy to food...I think I can't breathe I think to myself....etc

Your thoughts alone are causing you all these issues, whilst the feelings/ sensations are terribly scary and vivid , thats all they are - feelings and cannot hurt you and cannot change whether you are or are not allergic to something.

You alone can change this and slowly and get back to normal. There is no shame or embarrassment in taking medication for any illness and panic falls into that . The meds given are extremely low in real allergic reaction as most of the newer ones are merely supplementing a substance that already exists in the body,it may not suit you as much as another but having an actual allergy is a totally different issue altogether.

Avoidance is letting the sensations gain control and confirms to your body to alert you again with fear next time this situation arises- thus you get in a never ending circle and usually your world shrinks as you give in more and more.

Keep doing what you're supposed to be doing - with someone is fine and then slowly drop the someone and go it alone. Do not avoid school. Yu'll just find it harder to return later.
It will be uncomfortable and it will take time but it is curable by yourself.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...