PDA

View Full Version : Books to read to help you feel "normal" again?

Gotagetthroughthis
04-05-15, 20:52
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on good books to help people feel somewhat normal during hard times. Feel free to share any recommendation here.

Im not so much talking about anxiety books or self help books but books that somehow help to bring the mind to a calmer more normal state or perhaps help to take people out of a really detached derealized head. Any sort of reading material that helps brings people back down to earth and into a more calm and real sense of reality would be great.

It could be a story that takes your mind off your current worries or it could be some sort of brain/mind educational book that helps to put your brain and thoughts back into some order.

Im not much of a reader so cant think of any myself so hopeing some others have some books they can suggest.

Are there any books you turn to that help you feel better when in a really anxious or depressed way?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

lior
04-05-15, 21:34
Yes, there's one book that made a big difference to me - Marbles by Ellen Forney. It's a graphic novel. I couldn't concentrate enough to read for many months, and this is the first book I could get through for ages.

It's about bipolar which I don't have, but there's still a lot in there about mental health in general. It's about her experience of living with bipolar. It's not a self help book. It felt great to see fun drawings and a funny story about someone else experiencing similar things to me. It's therapeutic in that it helps you see what you're going through with fresh eyes, but it also can take your mind off current stresses.

Gotagetthroughthis
05-05-15, 01:05
Thanks Lior that sounds very interesting I will have a look at that book.

MoonlightFire
05-05-15, 11:27
I'm going to look that up too. Sounds good.

lior
06-05-15, 00:07
Let me know what you think. I've been meaning to look up her other stuff.

NoPoet
06-05-15, 18:37
Anything by Claire Weekes, but specifically Self-Help For Your Nerves. There's another book with a similar title which IIRC is a much more detailed look at the issues discussed in the first book. So treat the first book as a (helpful) introduction. Weekes is very positive and very comforting, which you don't see too often in books like these, and she doesn't get flowery or lovey-dovey.

Davit
06-05-15, 20:01
Whoa people. This is an anxiety disorder that he needs a break from, how about some feel good books, some fantasy. How about a good escape book to put some positive in his life.
I lived with someone bipolar for six month and all I can say is never again thank you. It certainly makes any anxiety you have pretty mellow. So how about a short fantasy book that you close at the end and say wow. Pirates or adventure. Anxiety isn't going away till you have a reason for it to. Even if that reason is only fantasy. Positive breeds positive. Too much research will just make it worse. I don'r read much any more but I find a good fantasy DVD will feed the feel good feeling for a while. The library has lots of them, some good ones I've seen over and over.

Sunflower2
06-05-15, 20:27
The Fault in our stars was a pretty good book to read. Really inspiring and I could not put it down either! it also helps with perspective and seeing things from angles you wouldn't necessarily think of. Anything that takes you away from thinking of anxiety constantly is good. But on the other hand, quite a funny book all about anxiety to make you relate is 'the age of anxiety' by Scott Stossel.. Read it on the plane and was giggling away to myself and the crazy similarities!

NoPoet
06-05-15, 21:17
Read Masters of Doom, about id Software. It's incredibly inspiring. You should probably stop after they created Doom though, things go downhill for the Rock God of Gaming [TM] after that. (Although reading about his Daikatana game is good for a laugh)

Dan1975
06-05-15, 22:47
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on good books to help people feel somewhat normal during hard times. Feel free to share any recommendation here.

Im not so much talking about anxiety books or self help books but books that somehow help to bring the mind to a calmer more normal state or perhaps help to take people out of a really detached derealized head. Any sort of reading material that helps brings people back down to earth and into a more calm and real sense of reality would be great.

It could be a story that takes your mind off your current worries or it could be some sort of brain/mind educational book that helps to put your brain and thoughts back into some order.

Im not much of a reader so cant think of any myself so hopeing some others have some books they can suggest.

Are there any books you turn to that help you feel better when in a really anxious or depressed way?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Why don't you try getting into a good novel. I love my crime novels and could recommend a few if you like that sort of thing.

lior
06-05-15, 23:37
Whoa people. This is an anxiety disorder that he needs a break from....

Horses for courses! I've tried to get into fun novels but they can't retain my interest. Marbles helped me by helping me understand myself in another way - as well as making me laugh.

The only other book that I've been able to get through this year was The Woman Who Went To Bed For A Year. Again, it could only hold my interest because I related to it directly. I've been in bed, a lot!

I have a serious problem with attention and reading which I developed around the same time as my anxiety set in. The only thing that works for me is reading material that reflects my life. I've acquired over 30 books in the last year which I haven't been able to read. I've tried to tempt myself more than 30 times with trips to Oxfam book shops... it's tragic!

I'm sure something like Marbles isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it's my book recommendation of the year.

Matthewray
26-05-15, 09:57
"At last a life" by paul david. I cannot recommend, praise and talk about this book enough! By far, it is the most practical book on the subject of GAD. I honestly don't know where i'd be without it.

Crystalhiggs
26-05-15, 10:14
You know one book that I really, really recommend is The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philippe Sendker. It's a gentle novel that will not only transport you away from your worries but puts a whole different perspective on life. I read it when I was having a really tough time and it helped loads. :)