PDA

View Full Version : Scared of brain tumor

Hyena
04-05-15, 22:33
Okay guys this seems very stupid but I really need to talk with someone about this.

I had a CAT scan like two weeks ago and came back all clear.
This should have made me feel calmer right?
Well my anxious mind won't let me...

Two days ago I started getting this intense ice pick headaches on the back of my head. I used to get them before but on the side of my head and only once or twice. That day it happened like 12 times. I was so scared.

After sleeping it was gone but now the place where I had the headaches is sore to touch, nothing very harsh but still weird. And sometimes I get a little pressure there and in other places in my head. It feels weird.

I still get what feels like electricity jolts but more in my neck than in my head. I'm probably just over reacting, but I'm scared I might had a back reaction from the radiation. It's feels stupid saying this because I don't even know if that's possible but I really need someone to tell me the odds of this happening and why I'm getting these weird feelings in my head. I don't wanna tell my mother because I agreed I'd shut up about my health concerns if I had a CAT scan done. :(

Sam123
04-05-15, 22:45
Hi,

Firstly let me say you're not alone in this fear, it's been a HUGE fear of mine and sometimes it still is.
You had the scan and that was clear, which is fantastic, you know this.

The pains you speak of sound very similar to mine, when it's sore to touch i found that to be unnerving. From what i've looked up it seems there could be a number of causes and none of them anything to worry about.
Just the same way you get tight muscles in your shoulders/neck you can have this in your head. Generally it stems from your neck muscles being tight which can be pressing on a nerve to cause irritation, this can radiate in to the back and side of your head causes strange zaps and feelings.

I've found anxiety causes me to have odd tingles there too. I had a habit of feeling my head obsessively for differences on each side. This never helps, the more you touch something the more you will notice things that aren't relevant.

I would definitely try relaxation techniques, and also loosening your shoulder and neck muscles.

Test results can mean nothing to you when you have an anxiety issue, it's very hard to see things for what they are as we focus on all possibilities and always the negatives.

Hyena
04-05-15, 22:57
Thank you so so much for your quick reply.
The first thing I thought was that it could be related to the muscles/nerves, since it's happening on my upper back also (when I touch it).
The thing is, I just watched a programm about radiation and that thought came into my head. :(
I also am having some trouble and messing up some words/music lyrics which made me extra anxious.

Sam123
04-05-15, 23:05
It's a hard cycle isn't it and it can be confusing. You go round in one big circle with it.
There were time's i truly thought it was an impossible cycle to break, symptoms anxiety symptoms anxiety.

I was sure that i 'wasn't anxious' so when a symptom presented itself i was all 'This can't be because of anxiety i've not been anxious it must be something'.. Then my anxiety would increase as would the symptoms.

As our bodies are generally in an anxious state all the time without us consciously realizing it, we are hyper alert to every feeling and sensation more than others would be. I'm sure yours sounds nerve/muscle related which although it can be a pain is easily treated.

I would try stretches for your shoulders and neck, relaxation techniques and warm baths. Also if you notice you get these feelings more when you're at rest theres a good chance anxiety is exaggerating them, try and find something else to focus your attention on for now and see if the feelings phase out.

Not that this will help but i'll say it anyway, i really don't think there's anything to worry about :)

Emilym80
05-05-15, 03:40
Hi there,

Sorry you're dealing with this right now. This is a pretty common fear for a lot of people. Firstly, I get those kinds of headache, too. Ice pick headaches are extremely intense headaches behind or just above the eye that make your eyes water, etc.

A friend of mine, a year younger than me, was diagnosed with a brain tumour in January. His symptoms were a lot more extreme- he had a terrible seizure and vomiting, but no headache. I'm not telling you that to scare you, but to help you realise that your symptoms would be quite different with a tumour. And, most importantly, it would definitely show up on the CT scan when you had it.

Also, brain zaps are quite common in anxiety. I don't think the radiation from one scan would be enough to cause symptoms.

Best wishes :)

Hyena
05-05-15, 22:29
Thank you both so so much for your kind replies. They really made me feel better. :)
I will try to relax my neck and shoulders, that must be The problem.
However I noticed weird sensations in my head again today. It's kinda tender to touch, and low intention headaches that come and go. I am having trouble sometimes writing and saying some words, which is probably what scares me the most. It almost never happens but when it does it's so scary. It's probably just thanks to all The anxiety I'm experiencing I hope...

Emilym80
06-05-15, 05:51
Yes, I sometimes struggle with what I want to write or say. Always when I'm anxious, and especially when I'm aware of it!

I bet it'd hardly happen if you weren't worrying about it :) and brain tumours wouldn't make your head sore to the touch. Scalp tension would, though, which anxiety can cause.

All the best!