PDA

View Full Version : What happened?

Bulldog
05-05-15, 19:14
Hi, I used to be a confident person who liked a good social get together. But now I panic and just want to stay at home. What happened? What went wrong? wish I knew. It started around 12 years ago and has gradually got worse started with health issues and developed in to worrying about everything.I was put on meds straight away without understanding what was happening. Only recently I have started to actually understand anxiety but wonder if it's too late, after 12 years is it ever going to get better? Feeling quite low at the minute and I suppose I am after some support and any relaxation techniques as it seems like a long time since I last relaxed.

Thanks

aprilmoon
05-05-15, 19:43
Hi Bulldog
I don't think it matters how long things have been dragging on for,its never too late to get to grips with it,and no reason why you shouldn't be able to get back on track if you have the right meds and support.
Understanding how anxiety works is a good thing,and you say you've started to do thatwhich is good.
The thing to remember is that the part of you that you say you miss,the confident one,is still there,and there's no reason why you can't get back to feeling more confident.
How long have you been on meds ?:)

Bulldog
05-05-15, 20:02
Hi Aprilmoon,

I have been on and off sertraline 100mg for the past 4 month. I lost my repeat prescription and never went back I have found it again now but it is dated January so don't know if they will accept it. It runs till July. I hope there is a way we can return to how we were. I have a holiday booked and I have mood swings from excited to worry. My feelings change so quickly I can be looking forward something and 30 seconds later worry bout it.

---------- Post added at 20:02 ---------- Previous post was at 20:01 ----------

Thank you for the reply by the way

aprilmoon
05-05-15, 20:14
I think you should deffo keep up with the ads,maybe go back to the docs?
You need a smooth continuity to get the best outcome with them.
Its great you have a holiday booked,it can give you something to aim for and look forward to.
I know what you mean about the excited/worry feelings and its typical of anxiety.
I found CBT really useful,do you think you doc might refer you?:)

theharvestmouse
06-05-15, 17:34
Bulldog, I'm in a similar situation, it takes a lot of effort to push through and get out there again. I go through spells of trying, it gets more and more difficult the older you get, anxiety also makes it all even more difficult. It can be done though but it takes practice.

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:31 ----------

Also the reason it happens is that it's gradual, one can slowly retreat over a number of months/years, before you know it you have lost contact with people, and you are sat at home on your own every night. Apart from your close family no-one really knows you are there, the world doesn't care, the world is outside carrying on.