PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Convince Myself I Don't Have Cancer

RetailMoth
06-05-15, 05:41
Okay, I'll just say it.
There's a lump in my back.
A pea-sized lump near my spine, unmovable, painless... When I bend over I can see it a little, so I think it's just under the skin, or something. I think I've had it for years - but when I had first felt it I has assumed it was a pimple and brushed it off. Now I'm reading up on cancer symptoms and suddenly remembering the lump, and I can't stop touching it and worrying about it.

I know lumps need to be checked by a doctor but I can't afford one. I don't have the money for a doctor's appointment or tests for cancer, I don't have insurance and just
I am so scared, guys. The lump doesn't seem to have grown but it's there and I'm scared I might have back cancer or spine cancer or some kind, and I'll die from it because I can't see someone.

Can I just have some kind words, any reassurances, anything to get my mind at ease?

Emilym80
06-05-15, 06:02
If it's been there for years and not changed, it's very likely a cyst or other benign growth.

If you'd had cancer for that long you'd be very ill by now. That said, in sorry the insurance situation is stopping you from getting it checked.

Can you just have your gp look at it next time you go for your checkup, if you're able?

That would be my advice in the absence of a medical opinion. Again, if it's been there for ages, it's highly unlikely to be anything bad.

Best wishes :)

Fishmanpa
06-05-15, 12:33
I agree that it's most likely benign as it's been there for years. Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells.

Concerning a doctor etc. The bottom line is a public hospital cannot refuse you treatment regardless of insurance coverage. And with Obamacare, you have to have some kind of coverage or there's a tax penalty that costs more than 3 doctor's visits! There are also free clinics. The worst possible scenario (which happened to me) is that something serious happens and you end up having to file a chapter 7.... better than being dead I assure you! You say you can't afford to go to the doctor but you have internet service and most likely a cell phone right? We're talking the cost of one of those bills so....

Positive thoughts

RetailMoth
08-05-15, 14:02
You say you can't afford to go to the doctor but you have internet service and most likely a cell phone right? We're talking the cost of one of those bills so....

Positive thoughts

I have internet at a discount, a pay-as-you-go phone that costs $30 a month, a minimum-wage job, student loans to repay, and when I did visit a doctor for another reason it cost me 700 dollars just for a look-over and being given a few pills to take.

But thank you to the person above, that does set my mind at some ease.

Fishmanpa
08-05-15, 15:53
I have internet at a discount, a pay-as-you-go phone that costs $30 a month, a minimum-wage job, student loans to repay, and when I did visit a doctor for another reason it cost me 700 dollars just for a look-over and being given a few pills to take.

A average cost for a GP visit is $65-$85. Urgent Care is about the same give or take. If you went to the ER I can see $700 and then some. But a check up? Nah.... and most GP's will work something out so you can pay them off in a couple of months. I do it with my GP and dental office.

That being said, I stand by my point. A pea sized lump that's been there for years is most likely totally benign (lipoma).

Good luck and positive thoughts