PDA

View Full Version : Appointments (ladies please)

Bonnibelle
06-05-15, 10:01
I started with terrible panic attacks in 2013 which led to agoraphobia. I go out now and life is really good. I just still struggle with appointments and always need my husband to accompany me to them. I avoided the dentist and doctor as much as possible for 18 months but now I do go but can't seem to do them alone or without feeling intense anticipatory anxiety weeks before and during. I go red hot in the face, shaking, feel I will black out.... horrible.

I have this year been to the dentist and needed treatment, optician (alone didn't need hubby) and GP. I can now take my children to appointments without my husband. Well my letter arrived at the end of March to say I was due a smear test. Of course noone likes them but for me I have a real fear due to the agoraphobia as it's not a short appointment and aswell as always being fearful about smears I now have the agoraphobia looming on top so it's a double whammy. I am coming up to 6 weeks overdue now and I am worrying myself sick I will have cancer the longer I leave it and I will leave my children....... I go every 3 years on the dot despite hating it but this is really tough for me now and I keep putting it off. I don't know what to do. I just know I will panic as I still find going to the GP very tough. I can't exactly take my husband to this :-( I know I will panic, as I hate smears as I have bled after them in the past which freaks me out but having the fear I will have a panic attack and want to leave is scaring me alot. I am going to make a show of myself. I can see myself having a huge panic attack in there and I can't exactly run out with no knickers on haha!!

How do you ladies cope with these appointments? I know if I do this I really will be so much stronger as I have come on leaps and bounds in the last year, I have my life back but I hate how I dread appointments so much.

Bon :blush:

AlexandriaUK
06-05-15, 10:16
Ring up and ask to speak to the nurse who is giving the smear and explain how you feel in detail.
Ask her if she can give you an on the spot appointment so you don't have to fear for weeks on end, please try your best to make the appointment and go, I know its not easy but as you say you would never forgive yourself if they missed something because you were frightened to go for the test, I am sure they want as you go regular but that's the point of having them so often to catch any abnormalities before the they have the time to change.

Bonnibelle
06-05-15, 10:29
Thank you. I did think about calling her but I thought I would be wasting her time and being silly. I might do that though, it may help me.

Bon