PDA

View Full Version : First-Time Poster Looking For Reassurance

MikeSig
24-01-07, 15:57
Hi, everyone. I've been a reader here for the past three months, and decided to finally post, as my anxiety has hit a new high-point (the worst symptom right now is brain-fog - does anyone else get what I describe below?). Here's my story:

I am 24 years old (seems like a lot of people get hit with anxiety/depression/etc. in their 20s), and about three months ago, I was sitting at my desk at work and suddenly I got dizzy and had the oddest sensation of deja vu. Ever since then, my mind seems to be stuck on overanalysis mode. I either consciously or unconsciously monitor every thought/action I have/do. Over the past three months, my symptoms have been transcient - for a few weeks the depersonalization/derealization will be bad, then it'll be primarily physical symptoms, etc.

Right now it's the cognitive impairment that frightens me. I can't concentrate on anything, and even have some difficulty retaining things when I am reading (like I won't exactly pick up the complete gist of a paragraph on my first read-through, but I think that's because my brain is so distracted by the anxiety/depression/whatever). My short-term memory is also pretty funky and unreliable, which I think has turned into an obsessive/compulsive thing for me. I fear that I am losing my memory, so I constantly self-test myself on what I did over the past five minutes, or the particular details of a movie/show I saw a few days ago (for example, if I'm reading a newspaper, I try to remember every single blurb I read and in the correct order, or I try to remember what happened scene by scene in a movie I saw last week). I know it's completely irrational, as no one remembers everything about everything, but for some reason I just can't stop self-testing. I actually also think that my perceived memory loss may be due to some depersonalization or anhedonia - it's like I can't associate feelings with events, which makes it seem like memories are foreign to me. Sometimes, I think I have lost it altogether, but I realize that if I was truly crazy I wouldn't be worried about being crazy.

It's just so hard to believe that all this could be caused by anxiety/depression, but I guess that's just a testament to the power of the human mind. What's most frustrating for all of us, I think, is that we know our problems are caused by our own minds, yet it feels like we are powerless to stop them. I do have hope that we will all recover, and that all we need is time and strength.

ceecee
24-01-07, 16:07
hi mike
firstly a big welcome to the forum!
secondly i,m sure what you are experiencing is anxiety,i too have a bad short term memory,i cant seem to be able to concentrate on much at the moment!
have you spoke to your doctor?
i,m sure that maybe they could help reassure you that what you are experiencing is anxiety
take care
rach x

MikeSig
24-01-07, 16:13
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">hi mike
firstly a big welcome to the forum!
secondly i,m sure what you are experiencing is anxiety,i too have a bad short term memory,i cant seem to be able to concentrate on much at the moment!
have you spoke to your doctor?
i,m sure that maybe they could help reassure you that what you are experiencing is anxiety
take care
rach x

<div align="right">Originally posted by ceecee - 24 January 2007 : 11:07:52</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Thanks for the reply. I have been to the doc a few times, and have had full blood work done, as well as a few other tests. The only thing still pending is a CT scan. She did prescribe me Zoloft on Monday, which I just started taking this morning (50mg, but I split it in half), so hopefully that will take the edge off once it takes full effect in a few weeks. I was also prescribed Xanax when this initially started, but it only seemed to help a little bit (although I was much more focused when I was on it).

domino
24-01-07, 16:21
Welcome aboard mike, good to have you here.:D

mazz
24-01-07, 16:51
Hi Mike welcome to the site and i hope you find it as useful as i do.
Mazz

jo61
24-01-07, 16:54
Hi Mike, you'll find lots of friends here. My depression and anxiety hit in my thirties so age is no deterrant to anxiety

Love Jo x:D

honeybee3939
24-01-07, 16:56
Hi Mike

And a BIG warm welcome to you, lovely to see you here, im sure you will get some great advice while making new friends on the way.:D

Love

Andrea
xxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

manmoor
24-01-07, 17:17
Hi Mike,

A big warm welcome to you.

"When There Was Only One It Was Then That I Carried You."

MikeSig
24-01-07, 18:30
Thanks, everyone!

kazzie
26-01-07, 22:35
HI MIKE

A VERY BIG WELCOME TO YOU:D

LUV KAZ X

ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE!!!!!!

trac67
27-01-07, 09:29
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends,

Take care

Trac xx

'Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain'

libbie
27-01-07, 11:10
hiya.

firstly welcome to this site, im sure you will find it very helpful. when im bad with anxiety, i too cant read, watch tele or anything, cause im too busy looking for the symptoms, then worrying about them! i have what you describe as 'brain fog' too, it feels like my brain is 2 seconds behind what the rest of you is doing! i have come to realise that the more you look for these signs, and the more you worry, the worse it gets. try positive thinking, correcting all the negative thoughts. it may sound little and daft, but it does really work. i too am surprised by the power of the mind, and how it effects us physically. feel free to p.m. if your worried, i hope i can reassure you.
take care
libbie x

ksmith
27-01-07, 12:45
Welcome to the site Mike. I can relate to some aspects of your post. I cannot concentrate and retain information as well as I used to. This is,I believe, partly due to anxiety and perhaps age? (I'm mid forties). However, this can cause difficulties for me at work as I am often required to explain or recall informaton in front of a large number of people.

Conversations with friends sometimes border on comic as I attempt to explain the film I have just watched with 'wossiname' in. They of course, don't know what I'm talking about. I then start to become really anxious because I cannot remember something so simple (on occasions it has made me cry). I think about premature senile dementia, alzheimers etc, which doesn't help matters.

I wonder though if it's because I have such high expectations of myself and my capacity to take in information and retain. I, like many people have a busy life and perhaps expect too much of myself? Anyway, I hope my post has given you something to think about.

Best wishes
Kay x

nomorepanic
27-01-07, 18:42
Hi Mike

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here and hope we can be of some help.

You will meet some fantastic people here.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

jules9
01-02-07, 20:43
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi, everyone. I've been a reader here for the past three months, and decided to finally post, as my anxiety has hit a new high-point (the worst symptom right now is brain-fog - does anyone else get what I describe below?). Here's my story:

I am 24 years old (seems like a lot of people get hit with anxiety/depression/etc. in their 20s), and about three months ago, I was sitting at my desk at work and suddenly I got dizzy and had the oddest sensation of deja vu. Ever since then, my mind seems to be stuck on overanalysis mode. I either consciously or unconsciously monitor every thought/action I have/do. Over the past three months, my symptoms have been transcient - for a few weeks the depersonalization/derealization will be bad, then it'll be primarily physical symptoms, etc.

Right now it's the cognitive impairment that frightens me. I can't concentrate on anything, and even have some difficulty retaining things when I am reading (like I won't exactly pick up the complete gist of a paragraph on my first read-through, but I think that's because my brain is so distracted by the anxiety/depression/whatever). My short-term memory is also pretty funky and unreliable, which I think has turned into an obsessive/compulsive thing for me. I fear that I am losing my memory, so I constantly self-test myself on what I did over the past five minutes, or the particular details of a movie/show I saw a few days ago (for example, if I'm reading a newspaper, I try to remember every single blurb I read and in the correct order, or I try to remember what happened scene by scene in a movie I saw last week). I know it's completely irrational, as no one remembers everything about everything, but for some reason I just can't stop self-testing. I actually also think that my perceived memory loss may be due to some depersonalization or anhedonia - it's like I can't associate feelings with events, which makes it seem like memories are foreign to me. Sometimes, I think I have lost it altogether, but I realize that if I was truly crazy I wouldn't be worried about being crazy.

It's just so hard to believe that all this could be caused by anxiety/depression, but I guess that's just a testament to the power of the human mind. What's most frustrating for all of us, I think, is that we know our problems are caused by our own minds, yet it feels like we are powerless to stop them. I do have hope that we will all recover, and that all we need is time and strength.

<div align="right">Originally posted by MikeSig - 24 January 2007 : 15:57:28</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Hi Mike,

I can relate to alot of what you have are experiencing, last year for about 5 months I started to forget things,felt very light headed, memory loss in fact i felt like I was in another world, thats when I thought I was going mad so I started to test my memory and every little thing that I done, then bang I had a bad panick attack then it went all down hill.

I did speak to my doctor who gave me citalopram and referred me to a councellor which I have now been with for the last 6 months and has worked wonders. I don,t get any light headiness or any thoughts that im in another world and Im not testing my memory as much now. I could go on forever with all the symptons but it does get better when you start understanding it.

Hope this helps
Jules9

j

sal
02-02-07, 00:02
Hi Mike welcome and we are all here to support you.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".