PDA

View Full Version : Just so scared

Help1989
08-05-15, 18:29
I can't cope with this worry anymore. I went to the dermatologist to get my moles checked- she took pictures and I go back in September to check. These moles were on my back that looked a bit strange. I've also got some little dark brown/black freckle type moles on my leg and arm, about 3 in total but one in particular that is very very dark. I didn't show the derm these cos she was focusing on my back.
I was speaking to someone earlier about sun beds and she said that her friend died of skin cancer, a little black dot on her leg that was melanoma. I am now sick with worry. I've lost my appetite, I'm shaking and can't stop thinking this little black spot is cancer. I can't go back to the docs and ask to be referred to the dermatologist again cos i've just been last week!! I can't believe I feel like this. I know this little mole is new. It's only very small but after that person told me about her friend and how it was only little, I'm petrified. I can't wait till September to go back and ask. I'm scared I'm dying, I feel so low. This is coupled with a fear of colon cancer... apparently I've got internal piles.

I can't go on like this, I sit here in tears thinking about all the things I'm going to miss if I die. I'm only 25. What can I do?!

Gary A
08-05-15, 18:51
Just go to your GP and have the mole checked. They'll be able to judge whether or not it requires a referral to the dermatologist. If it's a new mole then it should certainly be checked, but melenomas are usually larger than 6mm in diameter (the width of a pencil eraser), have uneven edges and colour variations, usually dark brown and black.

See your GP, chances are it's nothing, and I'd certainly advise quitting sunbeds as well.

MoonlightFire
10-05-15, 11:16
Definitely go along to your GP so that you can put your mind at rest and get an on-the-spot check. I know how it feels to have raging health anxiety and waiting for months is just not an option. This way you can save yourself a lot of worry. I can't understand why they would make you wait that long! They must think you're low risk if they're happy to take so long with your results.

Get an appointment with your GP and let us know how it all goes :) You'll feel so much better for getting this out of the way and we're here for you if you need support and encouragement :hugs: :hugs:

M x

Help1989
10-05-15, 17:31
Thanks, I will go the docs to get it checked out. I showed my friend and she said that both little dark 'things' just looked like freckles. I have other freckles but they are brown and don't bother me. It's just that these look very dark. I know when I go to my doctor he will say they're nothing but I'm just scared that they are the very start of melanoma. Does anyone know if a mole can become melanoma even if it stays the same shape etc? I know I'll probably just get told to keep an eye on them. I'm going to tell my doc how worried I am about my moles. I keep getting sinking feeling when I think about how I could have a melanoma that's spreading :(