PDA

View Full Version : Racing heart episodes. Please help

Kelley
09-05-15, 00:32
Hey.
I'll make this short because I just don't have it in me to go on right now. Basically suffered health anxiety my entire life, I'm 37. Always have healthy stats, had two holters in the past and a few ecgs briefly, all normal. I could go on about everything I I've been tested for but all ok so no point really....
I had surgery three weeks ago and ever since I've been bad with anxiety! Obsessed worrying about clots!!!! I was cleaning yesterday and after noticed a pain in my shoulder/neck and top of arm. I told myself it was due to just doing a full housework which I haven't done so full on since before surgery and I continued on ignoring it and it eased. Until a bit later when I turned my body to tell my daughter off in the car (she's a teenager, lol) and bang it came on again, but more intense. I ended up taking Valium and an aspirin and it slowly eased eventually. So I've woken this morning, no pain (weird if it was muscular to just go away) but, the second I turned to check my phone after waking, my heart started to race and my hands went clammy!!! This exact same episode happened exactly two weeks ago in the same way! So I got up to go to the loo anxiously monitoring my heart rate and noticed that when I deep breathed, it would briefly slow it down but then jump up again. It gradually slowed down when I got back into bed and calmed myself but I'm left feeling shaky and adrenaline tingling through me. Is this bad? Can it just be a by product of all my tension and anxiety???

I really appreciate your help, I'm just a mess lately and hanging on to life in hope of all this passing and being ok 😔

Kel

Sam123
09-05-15, 13:03
Hi Kelley,

This sounds like anxiety to me. Possibly palpitations. My partner used to suffer bad with these.

The pain in your shoulder neck and arm is definitely nerve/muscle related. I get a lot of neck pain, sometimes in certain positions. It's a trapped nerve and can refer pain all around that area. Yes it can just go when you wake in the morning as you've slept and your muscles have relaxed, therefore not putting pressure on a nerve.

You say your hands went clammy which is a sure fire sign of panic and anxiety.
I would definitely advise for you to look up some relaxation techniques. Neck/shoulder massage if possible and doing regular stretches in the morning for your neck area will help to loosen any tension and nerve pressure. Maybe checking you have the right pillow to support this and ensuring you don't practice bad posture.

If it cannot be managed and persists then see a doctor for advice but i am pretty sure it will be tension causing this. Anxiety doesn't always make sense. You don;t have to 'feel' anxious to experience anxiety symptoms. You say you have had numerous tests, especially an ECG which was fine then you can rule anything sinister out now.

Surgery has kick started your anxiety it seems, which is probably to be expected. Hope your pains go and anxiety eases soon.

Kelley
09-05-15, 14:56
Thank you so much Sam for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it.
I get told that some things just can't be explained and that I need to stop analysing every single thing I feel. It's just who I am and clearly why I suffer health anxiety.
I believe what you say and it was all very valid, and yes the surgery has really sent me into a mess. I've had sudden onset of a faster heartbeat on and off for about a year now, it mostly happens for no reason but also within the weeks of being stressed so yes, probably my body being out of whack with the mixed messages I keep giving it and the subconscious stepping in I guess? Either that or hormone related? It would be more reassuring however if I had the ecg on at the moment it triggers. Oh dear, what to do eh?

Thanks again

Kel x