PDA

View Full Version : Fish bone stuck in throat panic!!

imogen84
09-05-15, 09:19
I am having a bit of a break down and really need some support.

I have just finished CBT and was doing really well untill this week. On Sunday (6 days ago) I got a fish bone stuck in my throat, I started to choke but it didn't come up I.managed to get it down with dry bread. Anyway, my throat is still uncomfortable and I keep coughing like I want to clear my throat, I also get a pain between my shoulder blades when swallowing cold drinks. I have convinced myself that it is now Oesophageal cancer and I am panicking....has anyone else had a stuck fish bone and does this sound normal after effects. X

MyNameIsTerry
09-05-15, 09:23
I've swallowed a few in the past and it tends to scratch your throat. Given it got stuck, its very likely that it scratched and the area is a bit tender.

Remember that cancer is abnormal cell growth, it requires something to trigger that process and it isn't going to be a fishbone. Try to apply the CBT techniques you learnt e.g.Thought Records for instance.

Emilym80
09-05-15, 09:24
You probably scratched your throat getting it down. The oesophagus lies along your back, which is why you're getting the pain there.

As Terry says, that couldn't cause cancer. Hopefully it feels better soon.

Take care :)

imogen84
09-05-15, 09:26
Thanks, I am just getting my workbook out and I.am going to try some pie charts etc. Isn't it just typical that the whole time I was in CBT nothing happens and two weeks after being discharged I.am in near melt down, it was probably a bit of a security blanket. I know in my heart I am being silly bit my brain wont stop x

MyNameIsTerry
09-05-15, 09:29
Yeah, Emily is right. If you swallow something really hot, it can give you some brief uncomfortable feelins and they always feel where you describe. The same with swallowing too much food in one go.

Things are going to happen, if you can deal with this in the way your therapist showed you it will mean that next time you will be more inclined to reach for your workbook first rather than let anxiety get a grip on you.

imogen84
09-05-15, 17:22
would it not have cleared up by now?