PDA

View Full Version : Excessive bleeding on pregabalin?

heather89
11-05-15, 05:13
Hi guys :)

I am currently on pregbalain, trazodone and propranolol.

I cut myself faily bad whilst choppig vegetables 2 days ago and I have had wore in gthe past ut for some reason it won't stop bleeding this time. Do you think the pregabalin can cause excessive bleeding? I'ver been on trazodone forover 2 years and propranolol for quite a while now hence why I've ruled them out. I've been on pregabalain just over 3 weeks.

Perhaps it thins the blood?

hanshan
11-05-15, 10:25
I found this warning on one reasonably trustworthy website:

"Lyrica may reduce the number of clot-forming cells (platelets) in your blood. Avoid activities that may cause bruising or injury. Tell your doctor if you have unusual bruising or bleeding. Tell your doctor if you have dark, tarry, or bloody stools."

It's probably not dangerous but you should see your doctor about it. Take a copy of the warning above, as the doctor may not be familiar with all the side effects.

MyNameIsTerry
11-05-15, 10:55
Lots of them impact on blood platelets like my current one, Duloxetine, so there are warnings in the leaflets about avoiding blood thinning medications for the GP's.

I think, aside from hanshan's ever excellent advice, treat it like you would a normal situation with a cut - if its not stopping bleeding you may need assistance to have it glued or stitched.

Avasmummy_x
13-05-15, 19:28
I didn't know there were risks with blood thinning meds :-( im on blood thinning injections for a blood clot and asprin once a day to prevent pre eclampsia

hanshan
14-05-15, 04:41
There are risks of excessive bleeding - it's a balance of high benefit against low risk. Most patients taking an anticoagulant (I've been one myself) will have their INR (coagulation time) monitored so that the optimal level is reached.

Also, some foods like ginger, garlic and foods high in vitamin E, salicylates, and fish oil have natural anticoagulant properties.