PDA

View Full Version : Vagus nerve GI symptoms

violet33
11-05-15, 18:13
Is anyone familiar with a vagus nerve that can cause GI discomfort? I tried posting yesterday & even bumped up post by got no response. The vagus nerve, I know is in back & can affect various things, but I'd just like to know if anyone is familiar with what I'm talking about. I feel anxious over some GI issues & need feedback since my knowledge of vagus nerve isn't really thorough. Thank You!

Fishmanpa
11-05-15, 18:41
You posted in a previous thread "I've had ibs for about 27 years.". Certainly in all those years you've had variations in your symptoms and the severity in how they manifest themselves. The vagus nerve, while it can be an underlying contributor to GI issues among others, is unlikely just based on your history. Unfortunately, GI issues are exasperated by anxiety and based on your posts, that would be the most logical explanation.

Positive thoughts

countrygirl
11-05-15, 19:32
I know that the vagus nerve runs across the top of the stomach and having a full stomach can cause ectopic heartbeats or palps due to irritation of this nerve. I know this because I have had ectopics etc for nearly 30 years and a cardio explained what can irritate the vagus nerve and this was one of the things he said.

So I assume it can work other way so an irritated vagus nerve can cause stomach issues?

violet33
12-05-15, 01:37
I do have ibs but aside from that, my stomach tends to be very sensitive. No pain but very sensitive. It's a nuisance. Thank You for responding.

Nervy_of_catford
12-05-15, 01:41
Yes! The vagus nerve is pretty amazing. It runs all the way from the brain, through the neck in between throat and ear, via the heart and down to the gut.

I may as well leap in with the TMI, but when I need to poo my fingers & toes tingle, and I can feel lightheaded and a bit dizzy - which is most likely the vagus nerve getting a bit overexcited. It was unnerving but now I have a reasonable explanation it doesn't bother me.

MyNameIsTerry
12-05-15, 04:28
The brain and the stomach are the same tissue in foetus development and they split in two leaving the vagus nerve as the connection. It is a two-way communication channel for the brain to influence the gut and the gut to influence the brain (aside from all of its other functions e.g. heartbeat, breathing, blood pressure stimulation, etc).

There is an interesting article about a study of how the nerve impacts our brains in fearful situations:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-athletes-way/201405/how-does-the-vagus-nerve-convey-gut-instincts-the-brain

IBS is well known to come with anxiety, many things cause or impact on anxiety disorders but if you are thinking you have an underactive or overactive vagus nerve then its one for a doctor.

23tana
12-05-15, 06:24
I had bad stomach pains that I thought were an ulcer. After tests it appeared that my Vagus Nerve was triggering too much production of stomach acid. I had a course of tablets and it stopped.

Nervy_of_catford
12-05-15, 09:50
IBS is well known to come with anxiety, many things cause or impact on anxiety disorders but if you are thinking you have an underactive or overactive vagus nerve then its one for a doctor.

I have widespread joint problems, and was checked out for hypermobility syndrome (which can cause / be linked to vagus nerve issues and a whole slew of other stuff) so when I was checked out I mentioned it to the rheumatologist. She wasn't concerned about it, so I won't be either.