PDA

View Full Version : Keep going to fall asleep and my body just sends me into a big twitch. What the

colinmckee2
12-05-15, 01:34
I've been pretty good on the anxiety front lately however when I try to sleep my entire body goes into a sort of jerk or twitch if you will. Wakening me as I try to sleep, heart races etc. anyone shine a light on this?

Gary A
12-05-15, 01:41
It's just an adrenaline rush, if you look around the forum you'll see a fair amount of people suffer with this exact thing.

colinmckee2
12-05-15, 01:43
Absolute nightmare. So so freaky especially when the room is pitch black but I think that's why maybe causes the rush. Just can't get the required sleep at all.

Gary A
12-05-15, 01:53
Why not try some herbal sleeping tablets for a while? Anxiety thrives on things like fatigue and lack of sleep, your nervous system gets exhausted and stays on edge. If you rest your body and mind properly you'll find your anxiety lessens.

Fishmanpa
12-05-15, 01:54
Extremely common phenomenon called a hypnic jerk. Not pleasant but very common.

Positive thoughts

colinmckee2
12-05-15, 01:58
I honestly battle sleep all day just so I can sleep at night and at the minute i still can't, horrible. When the jerk ends I actually ask myself whether or not I just died, it's that creepy. Wonder should I just go to sleep whenever I'm tired irrespective of time.... The kalms and stuff I was using weren't working, diazepam do but i got into this mess on drugs and diazpam is a whole different problem in itself if I were to become addicted

MyNameIsTerry
12-05-15, 04:34
All these jerks and twitches are very common in higher levels of anxiety but I've found that as you start to recover, they disappear. So, perhaps just keep working on anxiety in general and this will go?

Something I think with regards to the falling asleep ones is there is an element of worrying about lack of control. You associate sleep as something outside of your ability to control your environment, hence any increase in symptoms, so you jolt because you feel the control being lost.

Thats just something I've thought of and its purely based on my own journey, not on any science or research.

If you go to sleep whenever you feel tired, as opposed to when it is the correct bedtime, then you may find your night time sleep is interupted or you have problems getting to sleep. The advice I have always seen with insomnia is to keep to a regular & healthy sleep routine and avoid knapping.