PDA

View Full Version : Agitation, mirrors, suffocation, hyperventilation, etc!

Ditapage
12-05-15, 05:03
1. When I start getting panicky i can't stand people talking around me. I especially can't handle being talked to, either. This usually tells me the panic is coming because suddenly I am snappy and irritable. I'm guessing its because my bodily sensations feel so awful. Sometimes i feel like i will start screaming. Is this a normal part of anxiety?

2. I can't look in the mirror while I am having an attack. I feel like my eyes are unfocused and I can't focus them, my face just looks scared and tight, and I look pale which just makes me panic more. I've read some people can't look in the mirror either, but also read that it helps other people to look in the mirror and talk to themselves. I absolutely can't look in the mirror. I start getting weird thoughts as well, like "a human face is so strange..." and it triggers more panic.

3. Even if I don't have any particular symptom I just get this feeling out of nowhere like I am suffocating. It's not necessarily a tight chest or racing heart or full blown panic attack, it's just this weird sensation that I am too exhausted to breathe and I am suffocating. I also start feeling tired out of nowhere and wonder if the two are connected.

4. Whenever I get any ache or pain now: eyestrain, headache, neck pain, whatever, I also get hyperventilation. A headache with hyperventilation is the worst. Gosh I think I have gotten into a pattern now where as soon as my body feels some sort of ache my breathing changes.

5. I feel weird heaviness in my shoulders like something is pushing down on them and my arms feel weak.

Anyone else experience any (or all) of these things?

23tana
12-05-15, 06:31
I get all of the above. All are signs of anxiety. Have you talked to a doctor yet about how you are feeling?

MyNameIsTerry
12-05-15, 06:37
Yeah, I agree I've had probably all of those. Not number 4 though, I would get anxiety instead of hyperventilation.

The screaming one is one I get when my adrenaline is building up too much. I will also feel my chest having odd sensations due to the adrenaline and the organs it is most likely affecting. I find this an unpleasant one to say the least as it often comes with a feeling of aggression.

Ditapage
12-05-15, 07:10
Hi Tana, yeah 5 different GP's in a month. I have had panic disorder for 5 years but the symptoms are ever-changing. If I can just convince myself this is what anxiety does I could live with all these things but its hard when you're not entirely convinced. Every day feels like I'm not going to make it.

Hi terry, when you say you get anxiety instead of hyperventilation do you mean you have a panic attack?

MyNameIsTerry
12-05-15, 07:12
No, it starts me analysing the ache/pain and I become anxious but it doesn't go to panic. It can become agitation and negative thoughts about how to cope with it and things like that.

pulisa
12-05-15, 08:50
That's what I do, Terry. The agitation is just there 24/7 and doesn't shift despite all the self-help techniques.

MyNameIsTerry
12-05-15, 09:44
That's what I do, Terry. The agitation is just there 24/7 and doesn't shift despite all the self-help techniques.

Its a really unpleasant feeling, isn't it, Pulisa? I often find that walking helps me with this and just being out & about in general to keep me occupied. Its hits me the hardest at home.

I can't say I'm convinced about self help techniques when it comes to agitation, I think its more about reducing anxiety in general so its less of an issue. I think self help techniques can work with panic, but 24/7 GAD doesn't work the same as you can't keep those techniques going for long and as soon as you get back on with your day, it comes back again. Thats typical GAD!

pulisa
12-05-15, 13:45
Yes I agree. I walk a hell of a lot but personally it doesn't do much to alleviate agitation and bothersome rumination. I don't think I've ever had a panic attack-just constant physical manifestations of anxiety including pain.

MyNameIsTerry
13-05-15, 06:28
I'm the same, Pulisa, only ever anxiety attacks at its peak, otherwise it was more the physical sensations and body focus. I can deal with the thoughts much better. I just can't seem to shake the sensations and now I have Sciatica and issues with my knees that seem to add to it.

Because of this I have been wary of getting back into hard exercise. I can deal with the breathing/heart rate issues, I've gotten past that now but if I hit the weights it worries me that the normal aches & pains I would always be used to in the past, could bother me.

I guess when we are feeling slightly better we don't want to rick the boat but I think I raised that just leaves you in limbo. I always added new things on my better days, going to have to do the same with this.