PDA

View Full Version : Breathing - My body won't let me relax, or else!

Orange Lightning
12-05-15, 13:38
I came to a scary realisation last night when, as I tried to fall asleep, I began to feel my tongue block my airways. My jaw became lighter, as did my chest and back, my arms hurt from the tension they'd been through and my heart began racing. Most importantly though, my breathing became completely compromised. If I didn't suddenly sit up, or adopt a forward-head posture, my breathing would get worse. For the record, IT IS NOT HYPERVENTILATION. I know how that feels, and it does not feel like this. I have fainted from lack of oxygen before, and I have numerous recordings of me gasping for air because air is not reaching my lungs.

This keeps happening during the daytime as well, and it's entirely related to posture. The very slightest change to my posture can undo the tension I feel in my back, chest, shoulders, neck and throat, but makes my breathing ability impossible. I can be anxious all day and not have any shortness of breath, or I can be enjoying myself with my friends and suddenly become breathless because I took on a certain posture. I know it sounds strange, because for most people, tension causes shortness of breath, but in my case, unless I stay tensed up, I cannot breath and my body knows it.

I'm worried that I cannot truly relax. I'm trying to chase up a diagnosis of Apnea, because I really don't want to die from that in my sleep, but I keep hearing of how people have Apnea in the day, because when they let their muscles relax, the airways collapse and their breathing blocks off. The same thing is happening to me, made worse by my swollen sinuses and LPR reflux.

I can't take much more of this; why do all these things happen to me? And how can I make it so I can relax but I can breathe? I've tried ignoring the symptoms, but my body eventually forces me to gasp because it isn't getting the oxygen it needs.

dittarco
12-05-15, 14:54
"I've tried ignoring symptoms"...

So, as someone who understands completely how you feel... even if you are trying, the fact that you consciously are trying to ignore, sadly means you are TRULY not ignoring ...

About the "relaxing" issue... yes, I feel like that many times as well. "Can I truly be relaxed?"

Yes... you can.. sometimes people like us just need a little extra help. It always seems like I am pushing meds on here, but my doctor (who I do love) said it like this to me:

"I don't want you to be on something every day...I'm going to give you 60 pills (panic attack / anti-anxiety.. like xanax) so you can take when you ABSOLUTELY need it."

So.. what I did to help me REALIZE that I can actually feel relaxed.. was spend a few days taking them ... it actually helps me in times when I do panic because I remind myself "hey wait.. if that pill can calm me down and alleviate symptoms, this is panic... let's relax" .. and ALONG with therapy, this will help you get through the tension.

hope this helps.

lyndau63
12-05-15, 16:22
It happens to me all the time. I don't think you will just die because the problem will eventually wake you up. During an episode, lack of oxygen causes you to come out of deep sleep and into a lighter state of sleep, or a brief period of wakefulness, in order to restore normal breathing.

Orange Lightning
13-05-15, 08:32
Last night was horrible. My airways totally blocked, I snored, gasped refluxed, choked and everything that could go wrong went wrong. I'm scared to relax my neck/jaw in case I block everything off too long, and I can't sleep properly. This is awful.