PDA

View Full Version : Constant Skin Cancer Fears

Moondreams
13-05-15, 08:51
Of all the things I worry about (and there a lot) skin cancer seems to be the most predominant one. I know of a few people who have died from it at quite a young age and it never fails to freak me out.

I'm 27 years old and very rarely spend much time in the sun. I think I did more when I was a kid but never got burnt (or if I did, it wasn't to the point of blistering, at least). But I have a lot of moles on my body, some of which are quite large but have been for many many years.

However, I'm quite often noticing new freckles appearing and I don't know if this is normal or not. Every time something new appears, I worry that it's cancerous. Just last night, I noticed a new freckle on my earlobe. It's quite a light brown, not really a defined shape (more like a smudge) and is completely flat but one of the people I know of that died had it on their ear and so I immediately panic.

I also have moderate-severe acne. I have no idea if there is any correlation between acne and skin cancer but I always worry there is even though I have suffered with acne for around 15 years and I know it's largely hormonal.

I think basically what I want to know is: is it normal to get new freckles/moles all of a sudden? When should I get concerned? Is there any connection between acne and skin cancer?

Oh and also, can you get skin cancer without sun exposure? Or are all/the majority of cases down to UV?

KeeKee
13-05-15, 08:57
You can get new moles well into adulthood. I've had a few new ones in the last few years. I also have on that is like a love heart shape, which I guess it irregular shaped, but it's never changed for years. They come in all shapes and sizes and usually skin cancer would grow rapidly, or bleed. If you are worried get them checked out, but mine have never bothered me strangely enough as everything else does.

Moondreams
13-05-15, 09:08
Thanks for the reply! That's made me feel a bit better, I appreciate it.

I have various sized moles all over. I have one on my side that I've had ever since I can remember and it has always been raised to some degree. Over the years it has gotten a bit more raised and possibly a bit darker but it has always remained round and has never spread outwards. That tends to be the one I worry about the most but it has never bled or been painful. It's right on my bra line so sometimes it gets irritated.

I'm one of those annoying people that stresses about things but then stresses even more about getting it checked out. I'm worried they will want to remove it because it's in such an awkward place, I know it would hurt.

Rad
13-05-15, 22:43
I had a mole removed from my leg last week. Still waiting for biopsy results though.

I was worried about getting it checked out, but at least it's off now.

The procedure was quick and easy. Only pain I felt was the anaesthetic injection, which was just a slight sting for a few seconds.

The wound was sore for a few days, but nothing that a painkiller didn't sort out!