PDA

View Full Version : feel like going drs again but i know they will say the same

emmalj0
13-05-15, 12:02
Anyone else got a lipoma or lump that still worries them? Iv had mine well iver two years now just below my left breast where my underwire sits. Still concerns me on a daily basis could be summat much worse than a lipoma.

iv put off going drs for months as all they say is if not changed its fine they dont even check for me.

Can anyone help put my mind at ease or should i just go bk drs to be told the same again

thanks in advance

Gary A
13-05-15, 12:20
Is anything anyone here says really going to stop you worrying? You've been told repeatedly what it is by a number of doctors, you've even had ultrasounds. Why are you simply refusing to listen to any advice you're given?

I can't say anything else other than what I've already said on a number of occasions. It is NOT a sarcoma, if it was you'd either be seriously ill or dead by now.

Seriously, you really need to try harder to stop worrying about this, it's a harmless lump that millions of people get.

Fishmanpa
13-05-15, 12:34
In one of your first of several on this subject you wrote

Hi thanks for the advice i have come on here hoping peoples opinions will help me overcome my ha. Iv sought advice about having removed but wont refer me as they feel unnecessary they wont even do biopsy. Iv read so much abput sarcomas and lipomas bein mis diagnosed and its stuck in my head.

emma

So, for the last several weeks, on top of medical professionals, you've sought advice from HA sufferers who deal with thoughts like this on a daily basis and have been reassured that it's not something to be concerned with. You've then Dr Googled yourself to the point of obsession. People's opinions and reassurance are obviously not working. Reassurance only feeds the dragon. I would speak to your GP about getting help with your anxiety. With therapy, CBT, meds or a combination thereof, you'll be able to gain a foothold on this.

Good luck and positive thoughts

Alice1
13-05-15, 13:52
I understand how you feel concerning the potential uncertainty of the situation and how difficult it is to just listen to doctors and trust these people who seemingly know all about our condition, despite the horror stories we hear.
And I'm sure you know it's not a case of trying harder, as absolutely no-one wants to fee the way we feel, it's a case of knowing what to do and what thought pathways to take when you become worried. I think you are definitely doing the right thing writing on here to air out your thoughts and get some advice, but some different steps definitely need to be taken and they will involve effort, as the current cycle of worrying-going to the doctors-seeking advice on the internet is not getting us anywhere.

I don't think you're being silly by getting checked out at all by the way. But what has come of it has been a doctors diagnosis of something benign. I think most people misunderstand cancer and it's definition. It is a terminal illness, and will progressively get worse, and by default make you very very ill. Trust your self, and if you really, sensibly believe (and I would genuinely think about your symptoms long and hard, how they're effecting you and observe how they make you feel) that something is wrong, you have to trust yourself and continue to seek medical help. But at the same time it would help to also work on your mind, because people with cancer also get anxious and need to control their thoughts, it's no different than people without cancer. There is uncertainty in health and in disease and I think that's what so hard to accept. I can't help you drastically on here, but my advice for now would be to evaluate your symptoms and fears, even perhaps talk through them all with your doctor as this can be helpful when it's got to this stage, try a therapist, or if it's not for you have a look into watching online videos regarding health anxiety, how to deal with uncertainty and even consider going to a local meditation group, something like that. Talk to people in real life about this too, their perspectives may really really help.

The nature of life is that I can't give you certain reassurance about anything, but if you think now that due to many doctor's confirmation of non-cancer, you're chance of getting cancer is equivalent if not better than me, Barack Obama (very healthy man from what I know ;)), Your doctor and million and millions of other people around the world. The probability is the same, and it's not very large. I hope this puts it into a slightly difference perspective for you and I hope you feel better soon.

It's tough but you can do it and will be ok.

KeeKee
13-05-15, 14:15
If this is still bothering you, then I would go to the GP again. Mention that.it still worries you and tell them you feel obsessed with it. They may be able to offer further advice. I know how hard it is.to accept it's.nothing serious, but as an above poster.mentioned if it were sinister.you certainly would have.known by now
I don't get why people bother posting responses such as 'why ask our advice if you aren't going to take it's. This is a community forum where we all help each other as much as we can. It can be difficult taking other's advice but also comforting to know others' may have been in a similar situation.
I do think you should seek further help in this, but I personally cannot understand how antidepressants could help with health anxiety. I was on Prozac long term when I developed anxiety, then was switched to Citalopram and then Paroxetine. None of these drugs helped with my health anxiety and I believe it's possible Prozac actually had a part in me developing anxiety after a bout of panic attacks, possibly brought on by reinstating Prozac after a 4 month break.
Finding someone who can empathise tends to work more for me. You will not get that with CBT in my opinion, but you may find counselling helps a little or even something else. Everybody is different, you know your personality type and I believe that plays a big part in which recovery options work best.

Good luck.

emmalj0
13-05-15, 20:11
Thank you for advice. I come on here because it makes me feel better im not the only one like this and it does put my mind at ease for a while. Iv had my first apt for cbt 18th june and i cant wait to get some proper help.