PDA

View Full Version : New person here - any support much appreciated

Chestergal
13-05-15, 19:25
Hi everyone, new person here!

I've has anxiety problems for a few years now mainly triggered by stress. Had a few years of mainly symptoms of Globus Hystericus, and now things have spiralled a bit. The GH was a big catalyst in my developing some pretty debilitating phobias that impact on my daily life. In the last probably 3 years, I've started up with more regular panic attacks.

About a year ago I was prescribed Propranolol which I find a real help. I only took it very occasionally and when needed, but for the last month or so I've needed to take it every night (usually 40mg) as things are flaring up at night. I know I'm thinking myself into trouble and into panic attacks but I don't seem able to stop this thing. Sometimes I can head off thoughts but remain on edge.

I'm having quite a stressful time at work and with family stuff which is certainly impacting on my anxiety levels. I've realised that I need more help as I'm worrying uncontrollably, catastrophising a lot of stuff and generally on edge. I've got a docs appt next week where I'm going to ask to be prescribed Diazepam or something similar that will help calm me down a bit.

I always get worried about new tablets and, ironically, I'm worried about what I'll be prescribed and how it will make me feel. It's a real stigma thing, but I'm also worrying about being 'medicated'. I get very frustrated with myself which I know is not at all helpful.

Giving this a try to find out other peoples' stories and look for some support as I'm really scared to be honest. Any suggestions would be really appreciated, thank you :)

venusbluejeans
13-05-15, 19:32
Hiya Chestergal and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

NuttyMummy
13-05-15, 20:11
I hope your new medication helps. :)

I'm new also (joined today) - maybe these forums will prove beneficial to both of us :yesyes: