PDA

View Full Version : Gerd/hiatal hernia

violet33
14-05-15, 09:58
I have gerd/hiatal hernia question. My doctor gave me a list of trigger foods. The list mentions NO teas or coffee INCLUDING DECAF VERSIONS. Does anyone know why the decafs are included as triggers? I asked my dr this & he didn't know.

Gary A
14-05-15, 10:37
Any form of tea or coffee will stimulate the release of gastrin, a hormone that secretes the release of stomach acid. If you're suffering from GERD or any form of hernia then stomach acid stimulation needs to be reduced. Drinking any form of tea or coffee, even decaffienated, will increase stomach acid production.

violet33
14-05-15, 13:46
Thank You! Your response was very informative!

mike_coventry_uk
14-05-15, 14:38
Hi,

I am a long term sufferer of gerd and also have a small hernia of 3cm. I suffer also with oesophagitis.

I have never been given a specific list of foods to avoid.... Can you perhaps give me some advice on what to eat and not...

What does your diet consist of at the minute?

Thanks
Mike

JustJoe25
14-05-15, 21:20
Hmmmm I've had GERD for 4 years now and drink coffee regularly. Also went through a period where I drank green tea every night. My mom also has GERD and drinks both pretty regularly.

violet33
15-05-15, 11:31
I have to avoid anything spicy or acidic or carbonated. As far as drinking tea or coffee, i have mild hiatal hernia & gerd. As far as hiatal hernia I've read no teas or coffees including decaf version. With gerd I've heard avoiding spices & acidity. Maybe it because I have both conditions that teas or coffees bother me. I also have ibs. My stomach has always been sensitive.