PDA

View Full Version : Any advice? Need to sort this out.

Help1989
14-05-15, 19:32
Hi,
Has anyone got any good advice for me? I feel like I'm at a turning point... I've had enough of this health anxiety and I need help. I want to go to my doc and admit I've got HA (which I'm sure they can tell anyway) but I'm scared that means they'll brush any real problems off in future. I'm having tummy issues at the moment and I really want to find out what is going on (blood, pain etc..) Any advice on how I can talk about my HA but still get taken seriously? I have got some actual health issues that they know about (probably where my HA stems from) but I feel like my anxiety is out of control now. Thanks

Sam100322
14-05-15, 19:45
Hey there I've private messaged you hope it helps x

ready_to_live
14-05-15, 19:58
Hello I've just joined this forum today but just wanted to say I'm in exactly the sane position in that I'm ready to ask fir help but scared that all my physical issue will now be dismissed as HA. Will be following this thread too, wish you all the best x

---------- Post added at 19:58 ---------- Previous post was at 19:57 ----------

Lol I'm so not in a sane position (if only!)

Fishmanpa
14-05-15, 20:08
Check this out... especially #7

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=159331

Positive thoughts

mike_coventry_uk
14-05-15, 20:09
Your doctors are duty bound to listen to you and you can always request a second opinion if your not sure... however be careful not to feed the anxiety with repeated trips to the docs over issues.

If a doctor tells you its just a headache then its just a headache. if the doctor tells you is just a fatty lump it is just a fatty lump. Remember that these doctors have trained hard to qualify and have to go through a hell of a lot of tests etc.. They would not be a doctor if they didn't know what they were looking at.

It is important to open up to the doctor and explain your feelings. does your surgery have any counselling service to offer CBT? if not they can direct you to one in the local city.

Also the docs can discuss medications with you, don't be afraid to take meds they can be a life saver.

Health anxiety is little known and i understand what you mean about the docs cause i felt the same but remember that the physical symptoms that you feel may well be the anxiety and the doctor can only say it as he sees it!!

if you need any help pm me i have been there and got the t shirt haha!

Take care

Mike

Help1989
14-05-15, 20:32
Thanks for your replies :) I am going to make an appointment with my gp and make a plan of what I want to say. Fishmanpa I've just read that thread and I think it's really useful... maybe one to check back on every now and then to put things into perspective. What do you all think about approaching the convo with my doc? Should I mention straight off that I have HA? Then go on to say my current health worries? I always get a bit flustered and I feel like I sound stupid or say something that comes out wrong :doh:

Fishmanpa
14-05-15, 21:37
It's best to write down your thoughts, questions and concerns. This way, you're not missing anything. Perhaps print out some of your threads to show him.

Positive thoughts

Help1989
15-05-15, 10:32
Just thought I'd update. Just been to see my doc and told her all about my current health worries. I had 3 moles on my leg looked at (which I was up all night with in a complete panic thinking I had melanoma) and she said she was happy that they were fine cos they're small and regular. I then told her I wanted help with my health anxiety and got a bit upset. She was very understanding and reassured me that it's not surprising when, like me, I have other physical health conditions that I have required/still require treatment for... She said it's the worry of what might go wrong next and because you feel like your body has betrayed you in the past, you worry about what's to come.
She referred me for cbt and gave me mitrazapine for my anxiety. I've never been on or heard of this antidepressant before. Does anyone have any experience of this? It's only a small dose to begin with.
I've come away from my appt happy that I've taken a step forward however I still can't get out of my head my melanoma fear.. (Mine was 3mmx3mm and I've read on cancer forums that people have had 0.5mm melanomas!!??) I know I'm being completely irrational but I'm going to try so so hard to beat this fear.
I have to go back in one month to speak to my gp about my anti depressants and cbt so I will leave any more mole checking til then.
I feel so drained now but I must be strong and fight on!

Fishmanpa
15-05-15, 12:29
That's a VERY positive visit and a step toward healing! Good for you!

Please stay off the cancer forums. Don't read and please don't post your fears out of respect for those actually battling the beast. Remember, "It's not cancer until they say it is".

Positive thoughts

ready_to_live
15-05-15, 13:59
I'm glad you had a positive appt with your gp, I wish you all the best with your meds please let us know how you are doing �� I've made an appt with my own gp for Wednesday pm.

Help1989
15-05-15, 14:16
Thanks fishmanpa. I wouldn't dare write on a cancer forum for that reason exactly, I just somehow found myself trawling through the posts for 2 hours last night somehow :rolleyes: I've just noticed another 'thing' on my armpit of all places, scratched it, it bled and thought the worse. But I feel like I've already started to be a bit more positive. I could go back and show my doc again but I will resist. I'll monitor it like sane people do and not cry myself to sleep over it, I promise!!
ready_to_live I'm glad to hear you've made an appointment, it really does feel good getting that big weight off your shoulders. What I think is important is that your gp understands that you may still go back in the weeks to come with some health concerns... It's going to be hard to stop the cycle of worrying and needing reassurance. But we will both be able to do it in the end!