PDA

View Full Version : Any advice on normalizing my sleep schedule?

Txxxrho
15-05-15, 00:07
So, basically I get on these cycles where I sleep most up the day waking up around 3 pm everyday. This week has been really bad due to some stuff I have going on that I completely irrationally think about causing me A LOT of paranoia that doesn't help my anxiety and panic attacks at all so I haven't got any solid sleep all week. Anyway I was wondering is there is a less torturous way of getting back on track with a normal sleep schedule other than staying up all day since not sleeping and just feeling exhausted makes my anxiety like a thousand times worse to where l just have non stop panic attacks. Waking up in panic attacks have also been a big problem lately. But of anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated I mean I could take a bunch of my kholonpin to try to knock me out but I really don't like taking that much anymore because it hasn't been working all that well and it makes me feel really "high" or off sometimes.

Oosh
15-05-15, 16:19
I don't know if there's any easy way. It's about creating a habit. No matter what, you go to bed at say 10/11pm. And you get up 6/7/8 regardless of what the night was like. If you are falling on your face through the day in the early days sit in a chair eyes closed, fold your arms and put your chin on your chest. Allow yourself a power nap for 10/15mins. My imagination usually just flies off into a semi dream state. If I stop after ten mins and have a cup of tea ill feel very fresh. That can be enough to lower anxiety and brighten up your world without it affecting your night sleep.

I reduce carbs through the day. When I have carbs for in the evening the lift and the lethargy is welcome and relaxes me for bed time. As opposed to carbs mid afternoon which would have me comatose when still needing to function.
I try and do protein, veges and fats through the day then carbs from 5/6pm.

Some more carbs late evening may knock you out and help you sleep if your brain is getting back into a 10/11pm bedtime.

Force yourself, it's worth it.

If you wake up at 7ish and feel knackered have a cup of tea and do a small work out. Sit ups, push ups, stretches, bit of a walk while the tea wakes your brain up.
Keep busy all day.

I listen to a podcast every night at bedtime. Stops me trying too hard to sleep. I fall asleep at some point in the first hour of listening.

Get into the habit, stick to it no matter what. Your brain will just start releasing the right stuff at the right times and you're sorted.

jonjones
16-05-15, 12:21
Hi,

I know what you mean anxiety has always affected my sleeping. Improving your anxity in general will help the sleeping.

What I do, as Dr Weekes says, is when I catch myself dreading about the night ahead, I deal with the moment IŽm in. All we can deal with is the moment were in. We can only deal with sleeping when its night time.

That wat youŽll be less tense when its time for sleep.

Also when in bed, focus on letting your body feel heavy and sagging into the mattress. Dont try to go to sleep, focus on doing this instead. Because we dont fall asleep, we become receptive to it!

Best,

Jon