PDA

View Full Version : what meds are considered the best for anxiety?

ready_to_live
15-05-15, 14:14
I'm new here have introduced myself on the relevant sub forum,
I'm currently struggling with HA since the birth of my 3rd child 7 months ago. I had pre eclampsia which got worse after the birth my Bp went very high and I could have had a eclamptic fit (luckily I didn't but I required a high dose of anti hypertensives to control my Bp) it resolved 6 weeks after the birth but left me with a fear of dying and having health problems. I've gone from cardiac issues, brain tumour, lung cancer, pulmonary embolism it never ends.

The past 2 weeks the physical anxiety symptoms have increased greatly (with a few panic attacks) I spend most of the day in a physically anxious state fast heart rate labored breathing horrible anxious feeling in my chest. I've also been very tearful and waking up in anxiety attacks at 4:30am and not being able to get back to sleep.

I'm finally at the point where I have accepted that I need medication to help me through (I will also ask for cbt/therapy but I know it can take ages) I have been trying to research what meds are best for my problem, citalopram and sertraline seem to be the most common though they seem to increase anxiety at first? I don't know if I can handle that, are gps willing to prescribe a sedative or something to help while the other meds kick in?

I'm so confused and just want to get better and be put on the right medicine!

I'd appreciate any input /experiences from anyone here.

Magic
15-05-15, 15:29
Hi ready to live, I have tried many antidepresents sertraline and citalopram among them. I think it depends on the individual.
Citalopram suited me the best. I have now come off them. I don't think I should have really.
I do sympathise .Not nice waking up so early. It must be so difficult having a baby and other children, you must be worn out.
Perhaps you should see your GP. That is the only advice I can give you. Sorry I cannot spell very well. Anyway I send you:hugs::hugs::hugs:

Fishmanpa
15-05-15, 20:49
Meds are a fickle thing. What works for one person may not work for another. What works for one person may stop working after a while. It's a bit of trial and error. My daughter was on Zoloft (Sertraline) and it stopped working. She tried two others before the third (Celexa) did the trick. Between therapy and the meds, she's doing great! Discuss you rthoughts and/or concerns with your doctor. I'm sure he'll prescribe something he feels will work best for you.

Good for you for making the decision to take action against the dragon!

Positive thoughts